Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 10:59 AM

109 posts, read 286,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Again, "can cause harms to humans" isn't the standard OSHA uses when setting PELs. And having provided a definitive link from OSHA about their actual standard, and your having provided nothing to contradict that link, I view the matter as settled.

Air contaminants. - 1910.1000 ya its settled alright...........read it
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You may not have been giving them lung cancer on the spot, but who says you weren't harming them? If they found your smoke irritating to breathe, that is a harm--a small harm when compared to getting cancer, but a harm nonetheless.

Again, it really seems to me smokers are sometimes overlooking the basic fact that their smoke is entering other people's bodies against their will, and they don't like it. Even holding health consequences aside, you just don't have a right to bother other people like that, whereas they have every right to tell you they don't like it.
its a simple excercise in ones own choise,that word choise you have it but now smokers dont and neither do business owners.You can choose just as anyone to go into a smoking establishment or work at one.......now govmnt has stepped in to where choise has been outlawed and the economic impact of that is fixing to be felt in penn.........look to ohio and everywhere bans have been forced.......they cower and try to hide economic impacts all over at the state levels, but in 6 months go and look at revenue reciepts,business liscence renewals and new business liscence applications..........its the same all over low and lower everything...these anti-smoking groups will be back next year or sooner to get the awaivers and excemptions outlawed....they will also try and outlaw smoking in cars with kids and work their way into your home..............these people are dangerous not only to smokers but to the country as a whole.......

Old 09-17-2008, 11:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider1978 View Post
Air contaminants. - 1910.1000 ya its settled alright...........read it
I have already read it. Your link doesn't discuss OSHA's standards for setting PELs, but mine does. Moreover, reading your link makes it very clear that OSHA is not attempting to assess all of the general health risks associated with various air contaminants, but is instead regulating exposure only to certain people and only under certain very specific circumstances.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect you are simply flat out wrong about this. I also know that anti-smoking-ban advocates have been relying heavily on this OSHA argument, and you are not going to give it up easily. But the bottomline is that OSHA simply does not apply the standard you are claiming it applies, and in fact your link does not support your claim but actually refutes it.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I have already read it. Your link doesn't discuss OSHA's standards for setting PELs, but mine does. Moreover, reading your link makes it very clear that OSHA is not attempting to assess all of the general health risks associated with various air contaminants, but is instead regulating exposure only to certain people and only under certain very specific circumstances.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect you are simply flat out wrong about this. I also know that anti-smoking-ban advocates have been relying heavily on this OSHA argument, and you are not going to give it up easily. But the bottomline is that OSHA simply does not apply the standard you are claiming it applies, and in fact your link does not support your claim but actually refutes it.
are you just blind OSHA set the limits did the testing and all are set for humans...are you from mars or something,does the anti-smoking lobby believe oshas test results are made for other beings..........your argument holds no water.....the regs state right their at what levels things are considered harmful and at what rates of expoure for everything..your in denial...............my god are you so in step with the antis that facts are beyond belief..............your side loses SHS and ETS HARM NO BODY thats a fact..................

Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
its a simple excercise in ones own choise,that word choise you have it but now smokers dont
I'm fine with you having the right to choose to breathe smoke. The problem is that your right to make that choice ends when you are making other people breathe your smoke against their will. Again, this is a very straightforward application of the principle "Your right to wave your fist ends at my nose," and indeed we might as well be saying "Your right to smoke ends at my nose," which it does.

And holding aside the conspiracy theories, the actual PA law in question allows you to smoke in private, and also in cigar bars and private clubs, and even in bars open to the general public as long as they get less than 20% of their revenue from food. So, you can smoke in lots of places still.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
are you just blind OSHA set the limits did the testing and all are set for humans...are you from mars or something,does the anti-smoking lobby believe oshas test results are made for other beings..........your argument holds no water.....the regs state right their at what levels things are considered harmful and at what rates of expoure for everything..your in denial...............my god are you so in step with the antis that facts are beyond belief..............your side loses SHS and ETS HARM NO BODY thats a fact..................
For the last time:

OSHA sets its permissible exposure limits for industrial workers, not all humans. So, for example, they don't consider children, and they make certain assumptions about the nature and duration of the exposure. Further, OSHA's limits are set according to the standard that the hazards must be "causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm", not just any harm or increased health risk. And here is the link which proves I am right:

Safety and Health Topics: Permissible Exposure Limits (PELs) - OSHA Standards

So it is simply false to say OSHA's limits are set where they could not cause any harm at all, or any health risk at all, to any humans.

And now I am done discussing this with you.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with you having the right to choose to breathe smoke. The problem is that your right to make that choice ends when you are making other people breathe your smoke against their will. Again, this is a very straightforward application of the principle "Your right to wave your fist ends at my nose," and indeed we might as well be saying "Your right to smoke ends at my nose," which it does.

And holding aside the conspiracy theories, the actual PA law in question allows you to smoke in private, and also in cigar bars and private clubs, and even in bars open to the general public as long as they get less than 20% of their revenue from food. So, you can smoke in lots of places still.
thats for right now the acs and ala and smokefree kids will be back within months to do away with those excemptions as they have tried to do everywhere there are bans..they camt to tenn and the state told them to hit the road and dont come back.............that was in march of this year not even a year after the ban.............they also got the local tv stations to run their propaganda for a new bill to outlaw driving and smoking with kids.......that ran for three days and then poof it was gone and so were ACS,ALA and smoke free kids tenn with their tails behind their legs......................

Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM

For the record, I edited post #176 before seeing post #178, which is why the quotation of #176 in #178 does not exactly match the post-edit #176.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Here is S Cal they are making more and more areas off limits to smoking and it truly is the right way. I remember when it first started and it was AWESOME. I could go out at night and not have that nasty hangover feeling the next day from all the smoke in the air. You know the one with the sore throat and green crap you cough up. That's been quite a while ago and none of my haunts closed the doors for lack of patrons. All of us inprisoned to our houses now go out!
It's gotten much better, they've banned that filthy disgusting habit from stadiums and parks too. I don't have to worry about my kids being down wind from someone chain smoking cancer sticks.
Most smokers here are treated like Lepers and I don't feel one bit sorry for any of them. Some of my friends still smoke and they know to high tail it outside to at least a distance where it can't come back into the house.

They even made it so you have to be a distance away for entrances at work which is awesome since many of these inconsiderate, suicidal smokers would stand in the doorway to get their heroine like fix of tar and poison while the smoke would still bellow in. HURRAH It just keeps getting better and better. A side advantage is that the beaches aren't littered with cig butts that the smokers would just toss aside like it wasn't a big deal. Incredible.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Here is S Cal they are making more and more areas off limits to smoking and it truly is the right way. I remember when it first started and it was AWESOME. I could go out at night and not have that nasty hangover feeling the next day from all the smoke in the air. You know the one with the sore throat and green crap you cough up. That's been quite a while ago and none of my haunts closed the doors for lack of patrons. All of us inprisoned to our houses now go out!
It's gotten much better, they've banned that filthy disgusting habit from stadiums and parks too. I don't have to worry about my kids being down wind from someone chain smoking cancer sticks.
Most smokers here are treated like Lepers and I don't feel one bit sorry for any of them. Some of my friends still smoke and they know to high tail it outside to at least a distance where it can't come back into the house.

They even made it so you have to be a distance away for entrances at work which is awesome since many of these inconsiderate, suicidal smokers would stand in the doorway to get their heroine like fix of tar and poison while the smoke would still bellow in. HURRAH It just keeps getting better and better. A side advantage is that the beaches aren't littered with cig butts that the smokers would just toss aside like it wasn't a big deal. Incredible.
You make the case of why their are bans more than anyone else....hate simple hate..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies