Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,614,194 times

Advertisements

The sooner we start eliminating all programs, events, celebrations, penalties, what have you, that are targeted at a certain skin color or national origin, things will get better.

You can't fight racism with racism, no matter the intent. "Positive" racism is still racism. The "ism" at the end of any word denotes a representation of topic. Racism, no matter if it's for or against the race being represented, is still racism.

White people who ask the question "why can't we have a white history month?" are asking a valid question. Why can't we? The common response is that white history is 11 months out of the year. Still yet there is no month when I turn on the television and get blasted with one message after another celebrating white history. i.e. for one month out of the year everyone is being told that they need to stop and remember the accomplishments of blacks, but at no time are they told to stop and remember the accomplishments of anyone else. Leaving out "whites", or as I prefer "European Americans", lol, Asians, Hispanics, etc, don't have this sort of representation either.

I don't hate blacks, or any race. I am however resentful of my educational system that I had black history rammed down my throat my entire life, but I didn't learn the history of my own people until I decided to study it myself. Something is wrong with that picture. We need to achieve a better balance to better serve all Americans, not just those with the loudest voice.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
The sooner we start eliminating all programs, events, celebrations, penalties, what have you, that are targeted at a certain skin color or national origin, things will get better.
Tell that to the Irish this St. Patrick's Day.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Or the Italians on Columbus Day Parade.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I already said in another post that I could do without it, especially the way it's celebrated here in America.

However, crack a book. It's not an American "holiday", it's a holiday in Ireland, and actually is a five day event. I still have to go to work on St. Paddy's day, and other than the ridiculous green attire it's basically used as another excuse to get intoxicated.

Here's some quick info on the subject...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick's_Day

Most of this you probably don't know. WHY? Because Irish history was never rammed down your throat as a kid, I'm sure. If you do know the full history of St. Pat's day, I'm sure you didn't learn it in public school.

-TT

Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Or the Italians on Columbus Day Parade.
They're already working on killing this ONE day...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day

Both St Pats and Columbus days are at LEAST used to celebrate heritage, and not skin color. "Black" history is not the same as "Nigerian" history. One celebrates a race, which is racism, the other celebrates heritage.

At least the Italians get the day off, lol. All I get is green beer and a midget mascot.

-TT

Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Both St Pats and Columbus days are at LEAST used to celebrate heritage, and not skin color. "Black" history is not the same as "Nigerian" history. One celebrates a race, which is racism, the other celebrates heritage.
Thanks to slavery, most African Americans don’t have that luxury. Their heritage IS as black Americans, not Nigerians or Ugandans or Bantu.

Black History Month is meant to emphasize the contributions that black Americans have made to our culture, and I’m fine with that. It’s a good thing. Can it be abused and misused by certain folks with an agenda to cram? Sure. But so can anything, be it St. Patrick’s Day or Earth Day or the Bible or McDonald’s.

Don’t judge the whole by the few bad apples.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks to slavery, most African Americans don’t have that luxury. Their heritage IS as black Americans, not Nigerians or Ugandans or Bantu.

Black History Month is meant to emphasize the contributions that black Americans have made to our culture, and I’m fine with that. It’s a good thing. Can it be abused and misused by certain folks with an agenda to cram? Sure. But so can anything, be it St. Patrick’s Day or Earth Day or the Bible or McDonald’s.

Don’t judge the whole by the few bad apples.
When and where did I judge blacks based on black history? I'm judging the idea. The idea of singling out a race, at any time, for any reason. It's wrong no matter how you slice it. What part of focusing on a single race for an entire month do you find so wonderful? You DO realize that the very idea encourages young minds to single out people based on race. That's exactly what the month does, that is it's purpose. Sure, thats wonderful when you're looking at inventions and civil rights accomplishments. Now what happens when they carry that way of thinking over to current events? What happens when they focus on blacks as a group rather than individuals. Does it still sound like a great idea? How about when they start looking at the crimes rates, the perpetrators, and percentage on public assistance, etc. Still a great idea? How about when you're driving down the NJ turnpike in a 2007 Mercedes? You can tell the trooper its a great idea while you're explaining where you got the car because you got pulled over for mixing German engineering with large amounts of melanin. Recognition based on race goes both ways.

It needs to go away, FAR away.

-TT

Old 02-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
What part of focusing on a single race for an entire month do you find so wonderful?
A race? No. Being "black" (or "white") isn't a race. It's about heritage. And yeah, I'm fine with it, be it African American, Irish American, Italian American, Jewish American, or whatever.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
A race? No. Being "black" (or "white") isn't a race. It's about heritage. And yeah, I'm fine with it, be it African American, Irish American, Italian American, Jewish American, or whatever.
Ok, now you lost me.

REALLY, so now you're saying that the classification of blacks as a race has been wrong all along? Well, in some dictionaries that might be true, but it's a technicality. When considering what the majority of society understands to be a "race", then no. Now that you're getting into semantics I'm going to bow out gracefully. You've lost the argument and now you're fishing for loopholes.

Cheers

-TT

Old 02-12-2007, 01:13 PM

566 posts, read 2,059,721 times
Even the basic 3 r's are in decline...
When I leave here, I'm doing a search on the black people you guys mentioned.
Must learn somehow .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies