Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 03:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
A fetus is not a child.
Millions would disagree with you.

Half the states disagree with you in that they allow for the charge of MURDER if someone inflicts harm on the birth mother resulting in the death of the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Half the states disagree with you in that they allow for the charge of MURDER if someone inflicts harm on the birth mother resulting in the death of the child.

Millions also agree with me. Murder charges are brought by a state, not the Feds. The definition of murder varies from state to state.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Millions also agree with me. Murder charges are brought by a state, not the Feds. The definition of murder varies from state to state.
Agreed - but the point is, those states I allude to DO CLASSIFY the unborn as a "child" -

OBTW - I never mentioned the Feds -

Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,950 times
Good evening! When I initially included my 'comments' on this link, I included my preference NOT to get into a moral, ethical and/or religious debate about abortions, pro-life/pro-choice, etc. but rather to try to perhaps clarify pro"choice" as 'choice', which is not, and should not be considered analagous since lots of pro-choicers would never undergo an abortion because of their own personal/ethical/religious/moral beliefs. I also believe that words/semantics play a major role in our reactions and associations to things. For an example, we are all familiar, I trust, with the term "Miscarriage" and as such we "know" that when a person says "they had a miscarriage" or so and so had a miscarriage, we know exactly what they mean...however, the 'medical term' for a miscarriage is "spontaneous abortion" and it is defined as "the natural or spontaneous end of a pregnancy" yet we don't use that term, is it because of the specific word itself" abortion"? Is it because people simply react to that word? I think if a woman actually said "I had a spontaneous abortion" many people would look at her with distain and disgust; if that same woman said I had a miscarriage, those very same people would look at her with care and compassion. It can be amazing how one word and its context can inflame or soften someone...don't you think? A woman can have three miscarriages and we would feel saddened that she has such a difficult time; that same woman can have three 'abortions' and we think she is worse than dirt. How can that be?

Just a thought or two...

Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,060,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
One is an innocent child....the other is a menace and burden to society.
Not always!
The idea must have slipped your mind when you responded as to how many innocent people have been murdered by pro- death penalty supporters!!! There have been thousands of innocent victims that were never a burden to society and yet, they were killed because our justice system let them down. Besides, your statement would mean that you value one life more than another and that is not a very 'Christian' thing to do. You cannot simply say that abortion should be illegal but death penalty okay simply because of how you view people. You should be on one side or the other. Murder is murder, if that is what you consider abortion to be, and you should not condone murder only when you see fit.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Why makes a democrat a baby killer? I don't understand this concept. I also don't understand pro life Christians who are pro death penalty!
They are just confused that is why they look to something like religion to help them out.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Murder is "homicide that not justifiable." There are many cases accepted by society of "justifiable homicide," such as self-defense in certain situations and homicide due to police actions in the line of duty. Killing of others during wartime is also considered justifiable homicide. Executions of criminals convicted of certain crimes are justifiable homicides in many persons' eyes, but society is assuming that its criminal justice processes are trustworthy. When those with a different view can demonstrate that the system is not trustworthy, the executions must stop.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:02 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

A fetus is not a child, it is a fetus! so in the above post ..it would be in case of the death of a fetus not a child!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:21 PM

194 posts, read 362,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
A fetus is not a child, it is a fetus! so in the above post ..it would be in case of the death of a fetus not a child!
Fetus is a Latin word that means "little one" or "small child."

Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 PM

194 posts, read 362,143 times
Quote:
A fetus is not a child.
Then what is it??
A fetus is a Latin word that means "little one" or "small child."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies