Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 05:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times

Advertisements

And then a woman does it and she is vilified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I thought they called that sex? And we are talking about the kid not being born yet but I will elude to that too.

If the woman wants to get an abortion she can do it without the consent of the man. She can also just disappear and claim "whatever" as the reason the man can't see the kid. All she has to do is say the man was beating her. That is all the reason she has to submit.

I just find it funny that some man in Politics can stand up there on a podium and preach about a woman's body. Shouldn't only woman be able to do that?
Let's examine one issue you raised: If a woman carries a child to term, the father has parental rights also. If, as you suggest, the woman wants to deny those parental rights, the birth mother will need to get a court order to deny those rights. If the birth mother however is demanding monetary compensation from the male (child support), the male has the right, but not the obligation, to demand DNA testing (in most states) to assure that the child is, in fact, his. I would assume you would support the right of the Male for such assurance - don't you?

As for a 100% absolute unilateral right of the woman to abort the child; you are mistaken. And, I alluded to this in my previous post - a topic you did not respond to.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
the fact, which no "pro choice" (or i like to call pro death) has been able to answer is alte term abortions, which in some states can be for mental or physcial reasons. Now I am perfectly understanign that if a women might die, she can get an abortion. The fact is though a "mental reason" can be anything, including temporary depression, as was seen with the case of "doctor" george tiller (the baby killer).
Nice to see that you take such an unbiased approach to things. Meanwhile, so-called late-term abortions are already heavily regulated and are rarely performed. Most involve much wanted, but severely compromised and otherwise failed pregnancies. In the real world, pregnancy is not something that goes well all the time. As for George Tiller, he is an actual doctor, and a well-regarded and often honored one at that. The real slime-ball in the Kansas controversy has been the now-ousted Phill Kline.

Quote:
No pro abortion person ahs ever been able to answer this. whats the difference between a baby in the womb who si 7 months old, and one born premature and living of a machine and is only 5 months old? how is that considered a baby but the one in the womb not? kinda dumb to me.
There aren't any "pro-abortion" persons. No one runs up and down the street urging pregnant women to rid themselves of their conceptus. As for a difference, there is precious little in legal terms. Both have very substantial degree of protection available. Medically, there is significant difference. A 7-month fetus in utero would typically have very good prospects. A 5-month old preemie (22 weeks) has about a 1% chance of surviving to leave the hospital, and a nearly 100% chance of dying before the age of one year. Whatever its lifespan, virtually all of it will involve on-going, intensive, and invasive medical treatment. Many medical boards recommend not attemtping to resuscitate preemies at this age.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,950 times
Good evening. How about we consider this...just for the sake of reviewing and contemplation:
We eliminate the term pro-life completely and in its place we simply use the term: pro-choice: that way one can:
a. be pro-life and opt never to have an abortion, regardless of any reason;
b. be pro-life and opt never to have an abortion unless there is an extenuating circumstance such as threat of death of woman; rape, incest/rape;
c. be pro-life and opt never to have an abortion regardless of any reason yet recognize that someone else may not agree with you and you will not make a judgment concerning their position and thus allowing that other person to have and make their own choice.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:32 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's examine one issue you raised: If a woman carries a child to term, the father has parental rights also. If, as you suggest, the woman wants to deny those parental rights, the birth mother will need to get a court order to deny those rights. If the birth mother however is demanding monetary compensation from the male (child support), the male has the right, but not the obligation, to demand DNA testing (in most states) to assure that the child is, in fact, his. I would assume you would support the right of the Male for such assurance - don't you?

As for a 100% absolute unilateral right of the woman to abort the child; you are mistaken. And, I alluded to this in my previous post - a topic you did not respond to.
You mean like this?

Ex-Boyfriend Can't Stop Abortion, Pennsylvania Judge Rules In Favor Of Mother's Decision - CBS News

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You mean like this?
No - like a pregnant woman who was involved in a car accident and was in a vegetative state. The Husband had to make the decision to either abort the child and save his wife. Or, keep the woman on life supports until the child could be delivered.

What would you do?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
My concern is why is this topic so 'hot'.

The country is circling the drain, economically, socially, etically and globally, and the choice of individuals is what riles everyone so?

Wake up and pay attention to what in hell is going on.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 10-07-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
My concern is why is this topic so 'hot'.

The country is circling the drain, economically, socially, etically and globally, and the choice of individuals is what riles everyone so.

Wake up and pay attention to what in hell is going on.
Some might say it is the degrading morality of society that is lending itself to these problems.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
the fact, which no "pro choice" (or i like to call pro death) .

Maybe this explains why you are so wrong about so many other things. You do not understand the difference between "Choice" and "Do".

I am in favor of people having the choice to eat what they want, but that does not make me pro-obesity.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - like a pregnant woman who was involved in a car accident and was in a vegetative state. The Husband had to make the decision to either abort the child and save his wife. Or, keep the woman on life supports until the child could be delivered.

What would you do?
Not getting the apples to oranges comparison here unless you would consider the two married and then the man (father) would have a right unless it was being contested before the accident. In that case I believe the parent's of the woman also have a say. Anyway, I'm talking about 2 things:
1. A Politician (man) carrying on about women and their right to have an abortion. In my belief men have no say in what a woman does with her unborn, whether he is the father or not.
2. Any "law" that says a woman must have the consent of a donor to abort the fetus. She does not and there is not. She doesn't even have to let the man know she is pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies