Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Seems to be the California gays are far more radical than the ones elsewhere.

Everywhere else in the country all I ever hear about is some discontent, peaceful protest and a committment to try again later.

In California, I hear about violent protests, mailing letters containing powder to the churches, lawsuits and trying to undercut the will of the people, screaming, counter bashing and all sorts of other radical and oftentimes violent things.
I think the media is exaggerating just a tad... I live in San Francisco, and there's nothing overtly violent going on here. We've had some peaceful protests & demonstrations around town, and some are planning a walk-out on Wednesday (see my thread from a few minutes ago). But I personally haven't witnessed or heard about violent protest, although I can't speak for what's going on in Los Angeles - if they are doing something radical, our defense is that SF is 400 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:24 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think the media is exaggerating just a tad... I live in San Francisco, and there's nothing overtly violent going on here. We've had some peaceful protests & demonstrations around town, and some are planning a walk-out on Wednesday (see my thread from a few minutes ago). But I personally haven't witnessed or heard about violent protest, although I can't speak for what's going on in Los Angeles - if they are doing something radical, our defense is that SF is 400 miles away.
Your right. Most of the violent protests I hear about are in LA, there aren't nearly as many in SF.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Your right. Most of the violent protests I hear about are in LA, there aren't nearly as many in SF.
Thing is, if I learned anything from Hurricane Katrina, it's that what the media is telling you probably isn't an accurate representation of what's going on anywhere, and it's difficult to know what's really going on unless you're there.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm a heterosexual who WILL keep going on about Prop 8 until it's overturned. Civil rights should not be put up for a vote... there are some parts of this country where interracial marriage would STILL be illegal if that were true. I am embarrassed and ashamed of my fellow Americans.
The right to marry isn't a "civil right".

Old 12-09-2008, 10:40 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Thing is, if I learned anything from Hurricane Katrina, it's that what the media is telling you probably isn't an accurate representation of what's going on anywhere, and it's difficult to know what's really going on unless you're there.
Exactly. Plus, people tend to think that all of California is LA and San Francisco... well, it's not. There are plenty of peaceful protests in my area that have not escalated to violence and I think that bumper stickers and yard signs are used more than fists and violence where I live

Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The right to marry isn't a "civil right".
Yes, it is. In Loving V. Virginia marriage was declared one of the 'basic civil rights of man'.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Lucky Gem, if the government told you you couldn't get married, you might change your mind.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, it is. In Loving V. Virginia marriage was declared one of the 'basic civil rights of man'.
I don't have a problem with marriage being called a civil right.

It's when it's called a "basic human right" that irritates me. Too many political issues keep using that term. The only "basic human right" is the right to life. Period. Everything else is a civil issue.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:48 AM

387 posts, read 677,929 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with marriage being called a civil right.

It's when it's called a "basic human right" that irritates me. Too many political issues keep using that term. The only "basic human right" is the right to life. Period. Everything else is a civil issue.
So says you, the arbiter of all rights endowed to all peoples?

Is freedom from slavery also not a human right, but a civil one? The right not to be dismembered or tortured? The right of freedom of religion? If a woman is raped, is the only an infringement on her "civil" right and not her human right to personal autonomy?

(Edited)

Last edited by bouncing; 12-09-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 AM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Lucky Gem, if the government told you you couldn't get married, you might change your mind.
The government never told anyone they can't get married...the voter's did,by law's their rights.If you want to talk about civil rights being violated,keep letting the appeals court throw out the american voter's vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies