Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 AM

112 posts, read 180,158 times

Advertisements

It's not only "Gays" who are going on about prop 8. I guess you don't understand how significant this is. For the first time in California history you amended the constitution to TAKE away rights. This has never been done before and clearly is a step in the wrong direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 PM

838 posts, read 922,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ping pong ball View Post
Em, how is "Gay marriage" a civil right? Heterosexual marriage is not a civil right either. Sure, people have a right to form relationships (as already stipulated by the California Supreme Court), but is there really a right to have such relationships defined as "marriage"?.

Seems to me what gay activists need to do is to challenge the individual laws that unfairly discriminate against gay relationships rather than engage in this divisive crusade to redefine "marriage". Just what is it about that appellation that makes it "superior" to a "civil union"? I don't get it, sorry.
Very good post, makes perfect sense.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
I am SICK to the backteeth hearing what the bible says and what it doesn't say. That should dictate what goes on in your religion but I am disgusted that anyone out there thinks it should dictate what goes on in a country.
AND as for people getting up and saying that marriage has always been between a man and a woman is attempting to rewrite history, that in fact is not correct.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:18 PM

838 posts, read 922,577 times
Do not re-define marriage!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Do not re-define marriage!
Check your history, no one is trying to redefine it, it has at times included more then two people, it has at times included people of the same sex.

Why don't you try checking out some history before you just swallow what someone is throwing your way.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 PM

20 posts, read 21,012 times
I want to marry my cat, no wait my sister, no I think I love my dad more. Yep, I am in love with my dad and want to marry him. Thats what is next if we allow same sex marriage. The President of Iran had it right when he spoke of gays. America is falling apart. I do not want my kids taught this crap in schools. Gays have the same rights as I do. I can not marry a women and neither can u. People keep talking about the bible, I do not need a Bible to tell me it is wrong.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka View Post
I want to marry my cat, no wait my sister, no I think I love my dad more. Yep, I am in love with my dad and want to marry him. Thats what is next if we allow same sex marriage. The President of Iran had it right when he spoke of gays. America is falling apart. I do not want my kids taught this crap in schools. Gays have the same rights as I do. I can not marry a women and neither can u. People keep talking about the bible, I do not need a Bible to tell me it is wrong.
Hmmm, it seems like someones dad already married his sister

Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,643 times
Quote:
Last I checked, marriage was supposed to be between two loving partners. Gay people have the same right to love each other in an official and equal institution as any other couple. It's not like straight couples show the institution much respect with a 50% chance of divorce.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Seems to be the California gays are far more radical than the ones elsewhere.

Everywhere else in the country all I ever hear about is some discontent, peaceful protest and a committment to try again later.

In California, I hear about violent protests, mailing letters containing powder to the churches, lawsuits and trying to undercut the will of the people, screaming, counter bashing and all sorts of other radical and oftentimes violent things.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
How can someone respond to this post with logic when it's so painfully lacking in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies