Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:08 PM

306 posts, read 1,162,065 times

Advertisements

When I tell people here in the UK that I am from California I am always very proud of that. But with this prop no passing I get many a quiz as to why we are living in the dark ages. Gay marriage does not take away from my marriage in any way. Love is love. Anyone who wants to commit and share their lives is a good thing. What difference does it make to anyone else.

With the amount of divorce out there, no one should say that straight people have the only rights to marry. What makes straights any better at it? People are people.

Open your minds. Get your head out of the sand. Grow up. Live and let live.

And to answer the questions as to why they are going on about it... you would go on about it to if you where told you where less then and not allowed to marry the person you loved. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM

609 posts, read 1,175,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm a heterosexual who WILL keep going on about Prop 8 until it's overturned. Civil rights should not be put up for a vote... there are some parts of this country where interracial marriage would STILL be illegal if that were true. I am embarrassed and ashamed of my fellow Americans.
'civil rights" should be contested and fought and left up to a vote. some people believe that some things are rights while other disagree.. for example a sikh being able to bring his knife into class.

thats a 'civil right", but probably most people would disagree... Oh no but its a "civil right"!! says some.. others say no.......

Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM

838 posts, read 922,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Kids wouldn't be forced to learn about homosexual relationships, that was a myth put forward by conservative christian groups (including Mormons) to scare idiots into voting for Prop 8. The real fact is, gay guys getting married in San Francisco has no effect on you and your friends at the trailer park in hicksville. In fact, the effect of the gay marriage industry is increased tax revenue, so supporting prop 8 is basically taking money away from the state.

We are NOT a Christian nation, so whatever that book of old Jewish fables called the Bible says really has no meaning or importance in politics. In fact, anyone who still clings to the bible to determine laws is proving their ignorance of what this country stands for. SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!!!

The bible is no more an authority on anything than L Ron Hubbard's books, or Jack Kerouac's. They are all works of fiction.
Wrong...the majority are a Christian nation, so go ahead and choose to not believe in the Bible and it's marriage tradition if you wish, but then likewise don't believe in marriage for homosexuals either.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:17 PM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Default Traditional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
The people passed it, get over it! You can't marry, it's a good thing it passed. Marriage is only supposed to be between a man and a woman, it even says so in the Bible! Now that this has passed, kids won't be forced to learn about homosexual relationships, which is something little kids don't need to know about and most people are still trying to keep marriage in the traditional way, which is goo.
Let's remove your Bible justification and bias against gays, and what do you have left? There must be more substance to your stance other than your religious beliefs and you perhaps think something is "gross". I trust you want your little kids to know about homosexuality at a younger age rather than when they're tanked in college and find out first hand. And on traditional marriage: Las Vegas weddings ok? Justice of the peace weddings sanctified? Divorce rate 50%. Where is your tradition? Correct me if I am wrong, but you are a bigot. It is nobody's fault but your own if your marriage sucks. Cheers.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Some would do this if they could get away with it, but it's discrimination to try to take our marriage and what it stands for and turn it into something different.
How does gay marriage turn YOUR marriage into something different? Does it make you love your spose any less? Does it make your children any less special or make you love them less?

Go on...I DARE you to say yes to any of those questions...it will just go to show your true character.

As an aside, does the fact that 50% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce also turn YOUR marriage into something different? Just wondering.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Oh yeah, Im glad so many people here are concerned about Gay rights!! especially getting married. even though, right now as we speak, there are thousands of gays in prison in ther countries around the world awaiting execution....

In other threads when i talk about "fairer pay" for all, im not talking about just Canada, or the US. Im talking about the entire world, including africa, including east Europe, everywhere....

But no its clear that the gays selfsishness only extends as far as they get what they want.. even by protesting a democratic vote, and in one instance attacking an old lady..

Im not sure about this vote, but in other places, proposals to change the name to a civil union or something else (while retaining the exact same rights of a nermal marriage) has bascically been completely denied by the gay community, despite being a perfectly reasonable middleground for the two extremes

Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
'civil rights" should be contested and fought and left up to a vote. some people believe that some things are rights while other disagree.. for example a sikh being able to bring his knife into class.

thats a 'civil right", but probably most people would disagree... Oh no but its a "civil right"!! says some.. others say no.......

whats your point?

Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
whats your point?
my point is that Charol seemed to be saying that gay marriage is a civil right, and no civil right should be left up to a vote.. but then who decides??? a court? in Canada the SUpreme Court decides and they vote and whcihever ahs the majoirty obviously wins..

So id jsut like to know who charol believes should decide rights??? because rights are not a 100% thinkg, they are an opinion

Old 11-20-2008, 02:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Im not sure about this vote, but in other places, proposals to change the name to a civil union or something else (while retaining the exact same rights of a nermal marriage) has bascically been completely denied by the gay community, despite being a perfectly reasonable middleground for the two extremes
"Separate but equal" isn't equal. I thought we learned that already...

Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
my point is that Charol seemed to be saying that gay marriage is a civil right, and no civil right should be left up to a vote.. but then who decides??? a court? in Canada the SUpreme Court decides and they vote and whcihever ahs the majoirty obviously wins..
Yes, a court. Hopefully one comprised of learned old men and women, each possessing an intellect large enough to comprehend the issues that a vast and changing society will throw at them. Civil rights are the storehouse of what it means to be an American. These things are not to be tampered with lightly, and certainly not on the basis of something so fickle and easily manipulated as the base passions of local majorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies