Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times

Advertisements

Courage Campaign | Sign the pledge to repeal Prop 8

The Courage Campaign (which does MoveOn-style organizing in California) is working with other groups to overturn Prop 8 in the 2010 election. That'll take a huge grassroots mobilization, starting now--and to succeed, they'll need an army of us fighting together to win marriage equality for all." -- Wes Boyd and Joan Blades, MoveOn.org Political Action

Dear XXXXXXX,

The numbers are mind-blowing.

350 cities. 50 states. 8 countries. More than 100,000 people around the world.

That's what "Join the Impact" -- an organic bottom-up, internet-driven campaign to protest Prop 8 -- organized in just one week, mobilizing people around the world last Saturday in their communities to support marriage equality.

291,667 people.
That's how many people have joined you in signing the pledge to "Repeal Prop 8," launched by the Courage Campaign and joined by our friends at CREDO Mobile and MoveOn.

The larger this movement grows, the sooner marriage equality will be restored to California.
Please help us build this movement by forwarding this email to your social networks -- your family, friends and neighbors. Then click on the following page to see how many new people have taken the pledge. We'll be updating the total number of signers frequently over the next 48 hours:

We are witnessing the birth of a new Marriage Equality Movement -- the civil rights movement of the 21st Century. Organized from the bottom-up by thousands of ordinary people just like you in the aftermath of the passage of Prop 8, this people-powered phenomenon is exponentially growing by the minute, online and offline.

But it will take a long-term, sustainable grassroots movement -- neighbors talking to neighbors across California -- to make marriage equality history. As Becky Bond, CREDO Mobile Political Director, said when CREDO announced its support of the "Repeal Prop 8" campaign:
"We are joining our allies at the Courage Campaign by pledging to stand up for the rights of every Californian. We will put pressure on legal entities to join this fight. We will shine a spotlight on the public figures who stand against us as well as those who stand with us..."

291,667 people are standing strong together -- gay and straight -- against Prop 8. Now, we need your help to expand this movement into every community in California. Please forward this message to at least five of your friends and ask them to join you in pledging to repeal Prop 8. Then click here to see frequent updates on how many new signers have taken the pledge:

This Marriage Equality Movement is capturing the attention of people across America, from the thousands of people who have never participated in a march before to the numerous organizations now vowing to leverage their resources to repeal Prop 8.

If we can build the kind of people-powered campaign that lifted President-elect Barack Obama into the White House, together, we can restore marriage equality to California.

Thank you for doing everything you can to change California and our country.
Rick Jacobs
Chair

The Courage Campaign Issues Committee is part of the Courage Campaign's online organizing network that empowers over 300,000 grassroots and netroots activists to push for progressive change in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
The people passed it, get over it! You can't marry, it's a good thing it passed. Marriage is only supposed to be between a man and a woman, it even says so in the Bible! Now that this has passed, kids won't be forced to learn about homosexual relationships, which is something little kids don't need to know about and most people are still trying to keep marriage in the traditional way, which is goo.
I happen to be gay... and a teacher.. and I do nothing but teach kids about gay relationships all day long. And I constantly tell them that the bible is made up and not true.. and that their mommy and daddy hate me.

grow up

Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
Quote:
The people passed it, get over it! You can't marry, it's a good thing it passed. Marriage is only supposed to be between a man and a woman, it even says so in the Bible! Now that this has passed, kids won't be forced to learn about homosexual relationships, which is something little kids don't need to know about and most people are still trying to keep marriage in the traditional way, which is goo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
I'm wit'chu......gay folks need to get over this. Immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Because they are sore losers....

Because in the end, they just can't take it.....

...oh wait they actually do...all the time...

..sorry....

8 WON!
You all are talking about the rights of a minority group as if it were the World Series. Have you no perspective at all?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:

Why do the "gays" keep going on about Prop 8?

Because it is important to them. If someone pushed you down, would you lay there or would you get back up?

~Mike (is neither religious nor gay but thinks that anyone who thought the issue was settled on November 4th is fooling themselves...)

Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Maybe the gays are going on about it because their rights were taken away. Have you thought about that ever? Have you ever find it in your close-minded MIND to think about how it would feel if you could not marry who you loved?

And I dont care about the Bible. I don't follow Christianity so why should a book that I don't believe in dictate what I do?

Traditional way, you say? Well, let me tell you something. Some traditions are better off broken.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
Quote:
for the same reason the "blacks" kept going on about their civil rights.

this is about civil marraige. not religious or bible sanctioned marriage. it is a civil issue.
civil equality is being demanded.

are you too ignorant to understand that?

Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I happen to be gay... and a teacher.. and I do nothing but teach kids about gay relationships all day long. And I constantly tell them that the bible is made up and not true.. and that their mommy and daddy hate me.

grow up
I'm gay, and I tell everyone I see that they should be gay, too. I really push it on them - after all, it's for their own good. I will pray for straights, however, until they see the light and become "normal".

Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

202 posts, read 535,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You all are talking about the rights of a minority group as if it were the World Series. Have you no perspective at all?
No, they don't.

They are simply showing us the true colors of the Yes on 8 crowd.

For all the arguments about "protecting" marriage, "protecting" the children, "protecting" their church, this proposition is about removing a legal right from other people simply for the sake of establishing their own brand of moral superiority.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,648 times
Quote:
Kids wouldn't be forced to learn about homosexual relationships, that was a myth put forward by conservative christian groups (including Mormons) to scare idiots into voting for Prop 8. The real fact is, gay guys getting married in San Francisco has no effect on you and your friends at the trailer park in hicksville. In fact, the effect of the gay marriage industry is increased tax revenue, so supporting prop 8 is basically taking money away from the state.

We are NOT a Christian nation, so whatever that book of old Jewish fables called the Bible says really has no meaning or importance in politics. In fact, anyone who still clings to the bible to determine laws is proving their ignorance of what this country stands for. SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!!!

The bible is no more an authority on anything than L Ron Hubbard's books, or Jack Kerouac's. They are all works of fiction.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM

838 posts, read 922,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post

grow up
Some would do this if they could get away with it, but it's discrimination to try to take our marriage and what it stands for and turn it into something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies