Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 AM

754 posts, read 1,449,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm not trying to make a legal argument here - this is just an observation and something to think about: Someday it may be argued that there are more than two genders - or at least that there are "sub-gender" or "co-gender" categories, such as:

Male, and then Gay Male
Female, and then Gay Female

Given the physical differences found recently between heterosexual and homosexual brains, this might not be such a wild idea - at least not as wild as it might have been in the past.

And then there are people who are born with both male and female genitals. For now, it's seen as a birth defect, but is it really? My mind is open to the possibility that we're not all meant to be one gender or the other.
I hope not! Simply because people's sexual preferences are their own business. I wouldn't want someone thinking they have the right to ask me anything about my sex life. I'm simply a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
This is sort of lame Constitution. ( For California standards) You would think they would spell it out that you cannot discriminate on race, gender, creed, etc.

They do somewhat, but the qualify it. "In State hiring" "In State Contacting" ..I'm sure they have laws against discrimination but it's suprising not to see it here.

State Constitution - Table of Contents
This is from a story in the L.A. Times today:
Whatever the court decides, its historic May marriage decision will continue to be influential. It elevated sexual orientation to the constitutional status of race and gender, a ruling that voters did not overturn.

From: Gay marriage: Conservative court faces pressure from all sides of Proposition 8 issue - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
I hope not! Simply because people's sexual preferences are their own business. I wouldn't want someone thinking they have the right to ask me anything about my sex life. I'm simply a woman.
Well, yes, but back to a subject you and I discussed the other day: religion.

Religion is seen by many as a private matter, but it's also a protected status.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that anyone would ask about a person's "sex life", I was suggesting that someday, it may be possible to look at the brain of a newborn baby and be able to tell if the person will turn out to be heterosexual, homosexual, or somewhere in between.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
I'm very much against Prop 8 but this is very wrong on the part of Prop 8 protestors.

At the same time, opponents of gay marriage have warned that they will work to oust any justice who votes against Proposition 8, a threat particularly palpable in a year when voters in other states have booted six state high court justices after campaigns by special interest groups.

That's just plain wrong. A Judge's only duty is to interpret the Law. If they don't strike the law down it only means that there is nothing in the Constitution to stop it.

Threatening them with their jobs and encouraging them to overlook the law is terrible.

***ooops I read that wrong....it's the fundies who are demanding the justices rule in their favor....typical.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 AM

754 posts, read 1,449,602 times
Quote:
Well, yes, but back to a subject you and I discussed the other day: religion.

Religion is seen by many as a private matter, but it's also a protected status.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that anyone would ask about a person's "sex life", I was suggesting that someday, it may be possible to look at the brain of a newborn baby and be able to tell if the person will turn out to be heterosexual, homosexual, or somewhere in between.
That's true about Religion. Wouldn't it be great if they were able to figure it out, it would possibly eliminate this whole "DL" thing. So when they're young the fathers would just know not to buy the football

I tell you this entire situation is like a car crash to me, I want to look away but I can't. I need help.

Finally, I just read the LA Times article. It seems to me that whatever the outcome there will be more lawsuits. It's seems to me that if Prop 8 is overturned then the Yes people could potentially take it to the Federal level. Or is that only the No side that can do that? The article wasn't clear on that point.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
That's true about Religion. Wouldn't it be great if they were able to figure it out, it would possibly eliminate this whole "DL" thing. So when they're young the fathers would just know not to buy the football

I tell you this entire situation is like a car crash to me, I want to look away but I can't. I need help.

Finally, I just read the LA Times article. It seems to me that whatever the outcome there will be more lawsuits. It's seems to me that if Prop 8 is overturned then the Yes people could potentially take it to the Federal level. Or is that only the No side that can do that? The article wasn't clear on that point.
I know. The "DL" thing didn't used to bother me, but lately, I find it pretty disturbing. It's so mentally unhealthy.

There will almost definitely be more lawsuits around the country, but I don't think there's any way the lawsuits against Prop 8 will be taken to the U.S. Supreme Courts because they're all associated with how Prop 8 applies to the state constitution.

However, no matter who wins, there's nothing to stop either side from introducing a new proposition next year, or the year after that, or four years from now, etc., so yes, it could go on for the rest of our lives. I doubt it will, though. I think same-sex marriage will become acceptable to most Californians within the next few years.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I know. The "DL" thing didn't used to bother me, but lately, I find it pretty disturbing. It's so mentally unhealthy.

There will almost definitely be more lawsuits around the country, but I don't think there's any way the lawsuits against Prop 8 will be taken to the U.S. Supreme Courts because they're all associated with how Prop 8 applies to the state constitution.

However, no matter who wins, there's nothing to stop either side from introducing a new proposition next year, or the year after that, or four years from now, etc., so yes, it could go on for the rest of our lives. I doubt it will, though. I think same-sex marriage will become acceptable to most Californians within the next few years.

It will likely be defeated on the next go round. The only major groups to vote against it were blacks who voted in abnormally high numbers this time around because of Obama and elderly voters who become less conservative as generations pass. The Mormons just made fools of themselves. I wouldn't think they're likely to put in the same effort again.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post

To pass Proposition 8, the far right used all kinds of lies and scar tactics.
This is absolutely false.

All of the claims made by the Yes on 8 claim were based on precedent elsewhere as well as what could happen based on current CA policy.

Opponents cannot refute that. All they can do is change the subject.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The only major groups to vote against it were blacks who voted in abnormally high numbers this time around because of Obama and elderly voters who become less conservative as generations pass.
Uh, no.
All Males 53%
All Females 52%
Latinos 53%
Non-Whites 56%
Blacks 70%
Catholics 64%
Protestants 68%
Evangelicals 81%
Suburanites 59%
Age 30-44 55%
Age 45-64 54%
Age 65+ 61%
College Grads 50%
Household Income $100,000+ 50%
Non-White College Grads 55%
Married People 61%
Households with children under age 18 64%
Married With Children 68%
Labor Union Members 56%

Quote:
The Mormons just made fools of themselves.
Only in the eyes of the extreme left.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Uh, no.
All Males 53%
All Females 52%
Latinos 53%
Non-Whites 56%
Blacks 70%
Catholics 64%
Protestants 68%
Evangelicals 81%
Suburanites 59%
Age 30-44 55%
Age 45-64 54%
Age 65+ 61%
College Grads 50%
Household Income $100,000+ 50%
Non-White College Grads 55%
Married People 61%
Households with children under age 18 64%
Married With Children 68%
Labor Union Members 56%

Only in the eyes of the extreme left.
I guess you're not understanding that blacks and the elderly are also male and female and married and union members, non white, and non-white college grads, etc.???

Their votes were included in the calculations of your other examples. Their 70% and 61% yes voting made the difference, without that level of support the Proposition would have failed.

It's funny that I have to point this out to you? But then you are a supporter of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies