Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Because they recognize that homosexuality goes against nature.
There have been documentations of homosexual animals.

How much more "nature" can you get than animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Although I disagree with Prop 8, I think the lawsuits are very silly... The courts have NO privileges in enacting laws.. that belongs to Congress and the People... courts are only to enforce laws and to disallow laws that infringe on the Constitution.. they are NOT to interpret laws as the lawsuit is suggesting... that is Congress's job... Although I disagree with Prop 8, I feel these groups are settling for an otherwise unethical approach... you can't solve a wrong with another wrong..

Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There have been documentations of homosexual animals.

How much more "nature" can you get than animals?
We are not animals but humans.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,899 times
Quote:
There are liberal republicans (RINOs) and conservative democrats.

LOL, I had to look up RINO. I'll tell you I've learned more about Politics, the Constitution and the law since Nov 4th than I learned in four years of college.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
Well, their numbers are dwindling as the years go by.

A majority of Americans "supports legality and acceptance of gay relations":

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108115/Americans-Evenly-Divided-Morality-Homosexuality.aspx

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
Quote:
The problem with your statement is that it is scientifically incorrect. The issue is weighing primitive religious codes versus reasoning & perception. You can't stop reality with Bible verses. We will look back to this issue with embarrassment like the people who believe the world is 6000 years old. One can believe whatever they want but not impose their questionable rationale on society.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:
Yes, we should be able to recall a US Supreme Court Justice as well. Average Joes and Marys cannot afford attorneys to appeal a Supreme Court decision.
Absolutely ludicrous. What you are proposing here is making a judge/justices position dependent on whether or not a majority of the public disagrees with their rulings. You would totally undo the impartiality of our Judiciary system.

The manner in which our checks and balances were set up is fine. The Judiciary does not, and should not ever take the will of the majority into account when deciding the constitutionality or lack thereof of legislation. What it should take into account is the constitutionality or lack thereof of the legislation.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Default Duplicating my post from another thread on the same topic...

As a firm believer in the US Constitution, I have no problem with the State Supreme Court reviewing this case:

Quote:
Fourteenth Amendment

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
The right/non-right for gay persons to marry will be a contentious issue for a long time. No one, on either side, should have expected that the vote on November 4 was the final word.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Although I disagree with Prop 8, I think the lawsuits are very silly... The courts have NO privileges in enacting laws.. that belongs to Congress and the People... courts are only to enforce laws and to disallow laws that infringe on the Constitution.. they are NOT to interpret laws as the lawsuit is suggesting... that is Congress's job... Although I disagree with Prop 8, I feel these groups are settling for an otherwise unethical approach... you can't solve a wrong with another wrong..
No. The SC's mandate absolutely is to interpret laws. That was established in Marbury v. Madison as the process of Judicial Review and extended to the Supreme Courts of individual states. Their job is to interpret this new piece of legislation and decide whether or not it violates the constitution, as they did in 1967 with Prop 14 and Reitman v. Mulkey.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
We are not animals but humans.
Oh man...seriously, you need to go back to high school biology. I'm sorry to tell you this sweetie, but homosapians....we are of the Kingdom Animalia....good grief, you seriously didn't even know that???? Dang, some of you need to go back to school & STAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies