Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Perfectly Harmless" sex offenders?

Rape is "harmless"?

Date Rape (drugging) is "harmless"?

Sodomy of a child is "harmless"?

Someone has to be kidding
Yes, YOU have to be kidding. Where did ANYBODY say those things you mentioned are "harmless"? You are apparently one of the vainglorious and self righteous witch hunters I referred to. Look in your own mirror. I said there are hamrless people on the Registry. You put them there. I hope you're proud of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,642,016 times
Quote:

Rape is "harmless"?

NAMBLA says it is so.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The family of the victim should have carte blanche to demand whatever punishment they want to give to the predator, no questions asked. Unless they decide to "forgive" the perpetrator, that is not allowed...
Did you even read my OP? Or did you see the title of the thread and immediately think that we are talking about pedophile's and the sort? This is not a thread to troll on sex offenders. Trust me, there are plenty of places that you can do that in your community and on the net. I was simply asking if someone who is 18 is rightly convicted as sex offender for having a boyfriend or girlfriend who is underage (as in 16 or 17).

Quote:

Rape is "harmless"?

And you completely took jtur88's post completely out of context. People who **** behind a tree or HAVE A BOYFRIEND OR GIRLFRIEND WHO IS 16 OR 17 WHEN THEY ARE 18 (which btw is what this thread is about) are the people on the sex registry list who are completely harmless. The only thing they did wrong was either not being able to hold their bladder and dating someone that is younger than them. I think we all agree that what you mentioned above is not harmless, but please stay on topic next time you post. We are not talking about pedophiles and perverts, we are talking about innocent young people who are convicted as a sex offender because they are dating someone who is one to two years younger than them.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,642,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Did you even read my OP? Or did you see the title of the thread and immediately think that we are talking about pedophile's and the sort? This is not a thread to troll on sex offenders. Trust me, there are plenty of places that you can do that in your community and on the net. I was simply asking if someone who is 18 is rightly convicted as sex offender for having a boyfriend or girlfriend who is underage (as in 16 or 17).

And you completely took jtur88's post completely out of context. People who **** behind a tree or HAVE A BOYFRIEND OR GIRLFRIEND WHO IS 16 OR 17 WHEN THEY ARE 18 (which btw is what this thread is about) are the people on the sex registry list who are completely harmless. The only thing they did wrong was either not being able to hold their bladder and dating someone that is younger than them. I think we all agree that what you mentioned above is not harmless, but please stay on topic next time you post. We are not talking about pedophiles and perverts, we are talking about innocent young people who are convicted as a sex offender because they are dating someone who is one to two years younger than them.

Yes, the thread "morphed" pretty much right away, didn't it? No, I don't think kids dating other kids should be put on any Registry. But it is a parent's responsibility to teach their children the law and to obey it, until or unless it is changed. I would agree to a slap on the wrist and warning, but not to ruin a child's life.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 AM

144 posts, read 158,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
School's out...
I love how people make fun of grammar.
I am sorry that mine is not up to par like
yours. Do you have a good day indeed.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You put them there.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I hope you're proud of yourself.
I am - thank you

Old 12-21-2008, 12:42 PM

491 posts, read 749,176 times
If they consent then it is not rape. I agree with some people here it is ridiculous that they are being called sex offenders when both boy and girl wanted to do it. Yet it is always the guy who seems to get in trouble for it but not a girl who is 18 and dates a 17 year old because of course we all know that girls can not rape guys.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
If they consent then it is not rape.
Your statement above is correct IF the person is above the legal age of consent in the state (ages vary amongst the states).

But, if a person is below the age of consent, then, even though the sex may have been consenual, it would still be "rape" (statutory rape).

Also, women can be, and have been, charged with rape of a male and female.

One of the more infamous cases is Mary Kay Letourno.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Cons hate those who abuse children - one such sex offender was found hung by a rope the other day in the jails -
Murder is actually fairly uncommon in prisons. OK, so you and I differ about what uncommon means. But seriously, there are a couple million prisoners in the U.S. and only a few score of murders per year.

But anyone who finds such murders as do sometimes occur amusing, is a much sicker excuse for a human being than a typical sex offender.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:16 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I think pedophiles should be seperated in the Sex Offender Registry. The ignorance of the general public thinks all sex offenders are pedophiles and that is wrong. There should be a pedophile registry in itself.
I don't favor any public registries for any reason. There have been at least four documented murders in the last four years of people picked at random from the SO registry. This is a scarlet letter situation in a country that's armed to the teeth. That can't end well.

If we're going to have sexual offender registries (of any variety) then we ought to have drunk driver registries, drug possession registries, bad check registries, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies