Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times

Advertisements

Nancy Pelosi's daughter directs the HBO documentary on Ted, "The Trials of Ted Haggard."

- thanks to Mike FBE for the "THE PULPIT" link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:12 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
but they have jesus to forgive them, it is ok to molest little boys, kill innocent people and deny health care to people, as long as you have jesus to forgive you

problem is democrats dont have jesus so even if they are good people they are still going to hell
if you say so...lol its okay to believe just keep on molesting and repenting over and over.

now all of a sudden the democrats are the party of satan

Old 01-24-2009, 04:56 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
ha I am a democrat proud liberal and I promise you I have or had more Morals then every Republican/Christian who has every existed, more morals then that pathetic Jesus guy you always look up to
Wow....you are truly an extraordinary individual. I AM impressed. You are ,no doubt, a role model and inspiration to us all. . I feel....humbled ..to be in your presence.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:39 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Why can't he just be gay and happy? If he hadn't lied to himself, and everyone else his whole life he probably wouldn't be in this situation right now.

I am repping you on your name alone! Love it!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:09 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Today's story in one of our local papers here in COLO SPGS, where reporting on "Ted" has become a cottage industry.
- New Life tried to avoid latest Haggard sex scandal | haggard, boyd, life - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Today's story in one of our local papers here in COLO SPGS, where reporting on "Ted" has become a cottage industry.
- New Life tried to avoid latest Haggard sex scandal | haggard, boyd, life - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Ted must be a pretty uinlikeable guy, they basically sowed the ground with salt behind him in 2006. Rev. Boyd has tried to help since then I guess.

But if, besides his bio of tribulation, a theme of the documentary is the limits of forgiveness and Christian love, then that should be interesting.

"This is one of the most compassionate, forgiving groups of people I have ever met," Boyd said of his congregation. "We will walk it out together."

Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 AM

I wonder if HBO is going to try and reconcile the utter hypocrisy of his actions; being gay and patronizing at least one gay hooker (that we know of) on the one hand, and on the other hand Ted's rallying of the New Life Church faithful in COLO in 2006 against a piece of gay right legislation that was on the ballot (it lost). After that scandal broke, a week before the 2006 election, New Life Church went from 14,000 down to 10,000 members, and the church laid off 40+ employees due to the drop in donations. At least 4000 of them had the sense to walk away from the whole mess, as if to say "never again."

Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 AM

Here's a column from another local paper, from a columnist who has a great sense of humor with the folly of the Haggard circus.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-18-2020 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times
If you want to know what Ted Haggard is all about, rent the movie "Jesus Camp" or check it out of your library.

It is a documentary about the fundamentalists, and Ted has a good-sized cameo talking to some of the kids who are going to their summer camp.

You WILL be amazed at the way these people think, I promise you. Here are a couple of clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6rSjrBhUIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97NFNXk8aFc

Last edited by cuebald; 01-26-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
I don't really see the point of all the finger pointing at Ted Haggard. Yes, he had a moral failure and it was discovered. I don't see it as surprising, however, that if he has a struggle in the area of homosexuality, that there wouldn't be more than one incident in his past. Didn't he admit that this had been a life-long issue for him? It's tragic when these type of things occur especially among leadership, but I really don't understand why people who have moral failures are necessarily, out of hand, labeled "hypocrites." To my way of thinking a person is a hypocrite, perhaps, if they profess to believe one thing and then don't even attempt to live that way. Just because someone has weaknesses, however, doesn't mean that they aren't attempting to live in a way true to what their faith professes. I'm certainly not suggesting that this type of thing should be overlooked in the church. The church does need to exercise biblical church discipline and hopefully, restoration to these people if possible. I just don't see the big revelation here, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies