Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:54 AM

37,219 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

When he denounces homosexuality from the pulpit of a 14,000 member church and is the leader of 30,000,000 evangelicals and talks with the President of the U.S. once a week to offer spiritual guidance, I would say that, yes, he is indeed a hypocrite when he is caught out with a gay hooker.

I don't have a problem with his being gay. He should recognize what he is and stop lying to everyone involved including himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
When he denounces homosexuality from the pulpit of a 14,000 member church and is the leader of 30,000,000 evangelicals and talks with the President of the U.S. once a week to offer spiritual guidance, I would say that, yes, he is indeed a hypocrite when he is caught out with a gay hooker.

I don't have a problem with his being gay. He should recognize what he is and stop lying to everyone involved including himself.
Well, I guess my point is simply that our actual convictions and our actions don't always line up. Sad, but true.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't really see the point of all the finger pointing at Ted Haggard. Yes, he had a moral failure and it was discovered. I don't see it as surprising, however, that if he has a struggle in the area of homosexuality, that there wouldn't be more than one incident in his past. Didn't he admit that this had been a life-long issue for him? It's tragic when these type of things occur especially among leadership, but I really don't understand why people who have moral failures are necessarily, out of hand, labeled "hypocrites." To my way of thinking a person is a hypocrite, perhaps, if they profess to believe one thing and then don't even attempt to live that way. Just because someone has weaknesses, however, doesn't mean that they aren't attempting to live in a way true to what their faith professes. I'm certainly not suggesting that this type of thing should be overlooked in the church. The church does need to exercise biblical church discipline and hopefully, restoration to these people if possible. I just don't see the big revelation here, though.
Teddy's real struggle is with heterosexuality. Since he isn't heterosexual, he struggles to maintain the perception that he's chosen the heterosexual lifestyle.

What a pathetic, brainwashed man. Teddy needs to dump the ho' and find a beau. Then he'll finally be out of the news.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Teddy's real struggle is with heterosexuality. Since he isn't heterosexual, he struggles to maintain the perception that he's chosen the heterosexual lifestyle.

What a pathetic, brainwashed man. Teddy needs to dump the ho' and find a beau. Then he'll finally be out of the news.
Well, while dumping his wife and convictions might be the path of least resistance, I hardly think it's the correct one.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Well, while dumping his family and convictions might be the path of least resistance, I hardly think it's the correct one.
What do you think the correct one is? He's already tried to pray away the gay. Should his wife stay with him because they were joined by God, and try to submerge her own selfish feelings to honor that commitment? Should be just become celibate and really work on editing those fantasies?

It's an interesting question IMO.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What do you think the correct one is? He's already tried to pray away the gay. Should his wife stay with him because they were joined by God, and try to submerge her own selfish feelings to honor that commitment? Should be just become celibate and really work on editing those fantasies?

It's an interesting question IMO.
Well, obviously, I won't get total agreement on this forum but I think he should stay with his wife and try to remain true to his convictions. As for her, I think if he is truly repentant and sincere about working on this issue (counseling etc), I think she should stay with him (although I do believe that she does have a moral right to leave if she so desires.) Yeah, it is an interesting question.

(It should be also noted that at least as I understand it, this was not an incident that happened since the initial incident but sometime in the past before everything was disclosed initially.)

Last edited by kaykay; 01-26-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 02:18 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
well, you see it's like this, a great many threads are here on city data professing the hipocracy of democrats, and in fact in real life, the republican party professes that man and woman sex IS MORALLY CORRECT while in backrooms, bathrooms, and no-tell motels, it is the opposite, some like men, some like boys, some like to play footsie in public bathrooms, so, just to sum things up, the people calling the democrats hipocrites and pointing the fingers of immorality, are actually the ones who are up to their old tricks. do as I say, and not as I do. is it any wonder why I was a blind catholic for many years, but now I see, and very clearly by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Looks like there was much more to Haggard's gay experience than originally revealed...like in, there was another guy.

Like many Republicans, Haggard preaches one thing and does another..for some reason, this seems to apply particularly in the area of sex.

And I thought all the GOP fundies believed you weren't supposed to lie down with another man, or whatever that scripture BS claims. Now I'm really confused.

Disgraced pastor faces more gay sex accusations (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_re/rel_haggard_new_allegations - broken link)

Old 01-26-2009, 02:18 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ah well..."let he who is WITHOUT sin" aye.........so many stones from SOOO many sinners. what WOULDJesus do? I wonder......

Uh, tell him to stop lying to himself and others and be who/what nature has made him?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Well, obviously, I won't get total agreement on this forum but I think he should stay with his wife and try to remain true to his convictions. As for her, I think if he is truly repentant and sincere about working on this issue (counseling etc), I think she should stay with him (although I do believe that she does have a moral right to leave if she so desires.) Yeah, it is an interesting question.

(It should be also noted that at least as I understand it, this was not an incident that happened since the initial incident but sometime in the past before everything was disclosed initially.)
It is interesting... it does seem that it did all happen back in 2006. Evidently the documentary casts Ted, or shows Ted casting himself, entirely as a victim and not as a predator. This other guy speaking out now takes issue with that portrayal: "[Rev Boyd said,] 'I seriously doubt this man would have come forward if the documentary had not been made.'"

Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:

If he's completely gay and not bi-sexual, he'll never love his wife they way a heterosexual man could. It's sad that these situations happen. If it weren't for the bigotry and brainwashing of certain Christian denominations, Teddy never would have felt that he had to hide his true self behind a fraudulent marriage. I do feel sorry for his wife and kids, finding out this late in the game that Teddy's really a big 'mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies