Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm sorry, but when you start your argument by raising the issue of the Community Redevelopment Agency, whose very job was to provide credit to underserved communities, I just naturally thought we down that well traveled low income home buyer road.
Do you even know what the Community Reinvestment Act is about? Have you read the revisions - especially the ones in the 90s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Of course it worked. Only the wealthy could come up with the down payment. Everybody else rented.
I did it in 1989 - married, with 2 kids, and a GROSS annual income of $22,000 and no benefits.

But hey, yeah, I suppose I was one of those "privileged wealthy" folks you sneer at.

That said, are we in better shape - regarding the nation's housing situation - than we were 30 years ago? Hmmmm... Let me think about THAT one for awhile.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Not so much the swimming pools, but people would have had to be insane not to have taken out a home equity line (Reagan forced that issue in 1986) and even more insane not to do at least one refi as market rates fell at least a percentage point below the rate they were currently paying. To not do so would have been walking away from free money. I don't know of any CFP who has ever advised clients to walk away from free money.

Slowed down? Is that like what an airplane does when it flies into the side of a mountain?

I know a good number of idiots, and what they tell me is that policy had nothing to do with it, that if the cowboy capitalists had given even a little thought to what they were doing, and if regulators had come to think for a moment that one of the things they are actually supposed to do is regulate, then none of this ever would have needed to happen. And when I ask the really smart people that I know, they say the very same thing. Then they tell me that because things were left to get so bad, only huge interventions can now have any offsetting effect at all, and by huge they mean of a level that nobody else but a government can afford...
Obviously, you're another liberal who has no clue what the CRA was and is, and no clue regarding fiscal responsibility - both personal and corporate.

But hey, let's keep pushing bad mortgage loans on stupid people. It has been working JUST GREAT these past 10 years, hasn't it?

On the other hand, look on the bright side: This housing crisis allows those of us who were NOT stupid enough to buy overpriced homes an EXCELLENT investment opportunity! In fact, just yesterday I looked at a house with a tax-assessed valuation of $102,500 that I'm going to be able to buy for $30,000. And when the market turns around in a couple years... BINGO!

Cheers!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,438 times
OK, back on the original topic about how rebulicans feel about the direct of our party....

Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Do you even know what the Community Reinvestment Act is about? Have you read the revisions - especially the ones in the 90s?
Short answer, yes.

FFIEC Community Reinvestment Act

CRA Regulations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act

Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
If things keep going as they are republicans won't even need to try to take over congress in 2010... or at least a strong independent force might appear. If this is the last of it the party will need to get in line. Steele provides decent leadership and not a far right wing idealism. Some compromise on a few key conflicts will leave them in a very good position depending on the candidates that run.

Maybe a true third party will peak it's head out as a possibility with what (so far) appears to be more of the same. Either that or let Obama actually do his job and toss Reid and Pelosi. I think I would be optimistic either way there.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 PM

Then why are you calling it the Community Redevelopment Agency, and acting like it is completely disconnected from our current housing crisis?

Sounds like two outs, in the bottom of the 9th, and you keep hitting foul balls.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If things keep going as they are republicans won't even need to try to take over congress in 2010... or at least a strong independent force might appear. If this is the last of it the party will need to get in line. Steele provides decent leadership and not a far right wing idealism. Some compromise on a few key conflicts will leave them in a very good position depending on the candidates that run.

Maybe a true third party will peak it's head out as a possibility with what (so far) appears to be more of the same. Either that or let Obama actually do his job and toss Reid and Pelosi. I think I would be optimistic either way there.
That would be fantastic, but what do you suppose is the likelihood?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
It would appear that the Republicans are merely trying to copy the Democrats, because those childish tactics seemed to have worked well for them.
you are a perfect example of what the OP was talking about. If you think we dems are so bad, why do you lower yourself below our level?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you are a perfect example of what the OP was talking about. If you think we dems are so bad, why do you lower yourself below our level?
Nice try.

Got anything of an adult level to add?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies