Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
What are some things you believe the party can do to get better?
1. Get back to the core of true fiscal conservatism.
2. Look long term, and help Americans do so. Nothing is going to be fixed by putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.
3. Stress personal responsibility by letting people - and corporations - who have made bad choices FAIL.
- The people who were stupid enough to buy houses that were hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they could afford DESERVE to lose those houses.
- The mortgage brokerages that pushed said people to take those idiotic mortgage loans that they KNEW would ruin them after 3 yhears DESERVE to be run out of business.
- The automobile corporations who pay CEOs tens of millions of dollars per year, and pay out $75 per hour TOTAL labor costs DESERVE to lose out to better companies.

* We are WRONGLY assuming that there is nobody, and no company, that is ready and able to step in, fill the void, pick up the ball and run with it. There ARE banks that used sound fiscal judgment with their mortgage loans (I have 3 such loans with one local bank). They have the money and they are making INTELLIGENT mortgage loans on houses that have no become good investment options.

Basically, the Republicans need to stop "kissing short-term popularity butt" and move toward sound, intelligent platform planks. Unfortunately - although that is exactly the kind of thinking we need - in our culture of sound-byte driven drive-by media, that's not going to be popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Democrats felt the same way in 1994.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
I for one am so embarassed at how the republican party and it's supporters have handled our loss of power in this country. You would think we see the writing on the wall that Americans are tired of what we are living in and focus on ways to make our party a better party for America in 2012. But no, we are more focuses on throwing dirt around and digging into conspiracies about Ice Storm relief in Kentucky! Are we serious? Is this what our party has become? I go to my local republican breakfast and I see a bunch of old men who are grumpy and set in thier ways. They dont want to change...why? Lets look at the American people and find out what we need to do to become the great party we once were and not the whining, crying, sore losers we look like right now!
It's big of you to admit it....now I have to admit, not embarrassment as much as disappoint, in Obama turning into a Republican after believing I was voting for a Democrat and change. Guess even Obama doesn't really want change.

He won't appoint someone with a tax problem but WILL appoint a strong bu****e!!!??? (refers to bush lapdog)

Duped again!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Get back to the core of true fiscal conservatism.

What joke! Would you mind pointing out when this "core" value showed up in any of the last 3 Republican administrations?

Stress personal responsibility by letting people - and corporations - who have made bad choices FAIL.

And perchance, what will you offer to the millions of responsible workers who will actually be the ones to suffer from the consequences of those bad choices? Nothing as usual, since over the last three Republican administrations the very people who you now wish to punish arrived at their largesse due to your core values?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
1. Get back to the core of true fiscal conservatism.
2. Look long term, and help Americans do so. Nothing is going to be fixed by putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.
3. Stress personal responsibility by letting people - and corporations - who have made bad choices FAIL.
- The people who were stupid enough to buy houses that were hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they could afford DESERVE to lose those houses.
- The mortgage brokerages that pushed said people to take those idiotic mortgage loans that they KNEW would ruin them after 3 yhears DESERVE to be run out of business.
- The automobile corporations who pay CEOs tens of millions of dollars per year, and pay out $75 per hour TOTAL labor costs DESERVE to lose out to better companies.

* We are WRONGLY assuming that there is nobody, and no company, that is ready and able to step in, fill the void, pick up the ball and run with it. There ARE banks that used sound fiscal judgment with their mortgage loans (I have 3 such loans with one local bank). They have the money and they are making INTELLIGENT mortgage loans on houses that have no become good investment options.

Basically, the Republicans need to stop "kissing short-term popularity butt" and move toward sound, intelligent platform planks. Unfortunately - although that is exactly the kind of thinking we need - in our culture of sound-byte driven drive-by media, that's not going to be popular.
I totally agree!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Get back to the core of true fiscal conservatism.

What joke! Would you mind pointing out when this "core" value showed up in any of the last 3 Republican administrations?

Stress personal responsibility by letting people - and corporations - who have made bad choices FAIL.

And perchance, what will you offer to the millions of responsible workers who will actually be the ones to suffer from the consequences of those bad choices? Nothing as usual, since over the last three Republican administrations the very people who you now wish to punish arrived at their largesse due to your core values?
Sounds to me like you need to move to Cuba - one last bastion of the success of communism.

I'll be happy to give you a ride to the airport.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
I think he brings up a good point. I agree we should not bail out the banks who offered these loans knowing these people would not be able to afford them in a few years. I also agree that the people who took an ARM loan took the short cut to save money and now are dealing with buying something they cant afford. No bailout money either.

I differ on the auto industry because they workers have no choice in who the company hires as its top execs. These are the people who will be hurt most the workers including the workers of companies who support the auto industry. I say any money tied to the auto industry only goes to them IF they remove thier top levels of leadership who got them into the positions they are in now.
The UAW is the biggest group of legal mobsters in the country. I have ZERO pity for them. These guys have been as big a part of the problem as the auto makers execs. I hope they enjoyed it when it was good, because thier greed is not coming back to them 10 fold!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I think he brings up a good point. I agree we should not bail out the banks who offered these loans knowing these people would not be able to afford them in a few years. I also agree that the people who took an ARM loan took the short cut to save money and now are dealing with buying something they cant afford. No bailout money either.

I differ on the auto industry because they workers have no choice in who the company hires as its top execs. These are the people who will be hurt most the workers including the workers of companies who support the auto industry. I say any money tied to the auto industry only goes to them IF they remove thier top levels of leadership who got them into the positions they are in now.
The UAW is the biggest group of legal mobsters in the country. I have ZERO pity for them. These guys have been as big a part of the problem as the auto makers execs. I hope they enjoyed it when it was good, because thier greed is not coming back to them 10 fold!
I PARTLY agree. But the real problem I have with this is that the taxpayers are being forced to bail out companies that suck. The Big Three are screwed up from the top down. It's not just the CEOs, and it's not just the UAW. It's the whole system.

They need a TOTAL overhaul, and I really don't think a bail-out is going to accomplish that. It's just going to perpetuate "business as usual", and will have them coming back to the trough for more, in a couple years.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,414,092 times
Quote:
I think they have lost sight of the end goal and that is the PEOPLE of The United States of America. I hope we can get better fast!
So, what is it that you want the Republican Party to do? Condone the murder of unborn babies? Adopt a policy of confiscating wealth from those who worked and saved? How many of the 10 parts of the Bill of Rights are you willing to surrender to make the GOP more like the communists AKA Democrats?

Somehow I am not convinced that moving the party toward the Marxist values that the Democrats have embraced is the answer.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Default Maybe I'm just paranoid....

Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted. ~Lenin~
Education: An American Problem
The Good Preschool Teacher: Six Teachers Reflect on Their Lives
To Teach: The Journey of a Teacher
To Become a Teacher: Making a Difference in Children's Lives
City Kids, City Teachers: Reports from the Front Row
A Kind and Just Parent
Teaching for Social Justice: A Democracy and Education Reader
Teacher Lore: Learning from Our Own Experience
Teaching from the Inside Out: The Eight-Fold Path to Creative Teaching and Living
A Simple Justice: The Challenge of Small Schools
Zero Tolerance: Resisting the Drive for Punishment
A School of Our Own: Parents, Power, and Community at the East Harlem Block Schools
On the Side of the Child: Summerhill Revisited
Teaching the Personal and the Political: Essays on Hope and Justice
Teaching Toward Freedom: Moral Commitment and Ethical Action in the Classroom
Handbook of Social Justice in Education
City Kids, City Schools: More Reports from the Front Row

Quote:
The American Educational Research Association (AERA), founded in 1916, is concerned with improving the educational process by encouraging scholarly inquiry related to education and evaluation and by promoting the dissemination and practical application of research results.
AERA is the most prominent international professional organization, with the primary goal of advancing educational research and its practical application. Its more than 26,000 members are educators; administrators; directors of research; persons working with testing or evaluation in federal, state and local agencies; counselors; evaluators; graduate students; and behavioral scientists.
The broad range of disciplines represented by the membership includes education, psychology, statistics, sociology, history, economics, philosophy, anthropology, and political science.
Quote:
Division Vice President-Elect
Division B - Curriculum Studies
William C. Ayers, University of Illinois, Chicago
http://www.aera.net/AboutAERA/Default.aspx?menu_id=18&id=321 (broken link)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

The goal is to get to your kids and convert you and if they can't you are labeled the creator of all current afflictions. The direction of the nation was set along time ago when the radicals put their bombs down and picked up your children. So pretty much if their plan worked as set in motion in the 60's you don't have a choice but to assimilate. That should explain why you don't see many young people at your kk..ommmkay....eerr.. I mean republican rally. Brainwashing... I'll get it right the first time some day...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies