Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,563 times

Advertisements

I for one am so embarassed at how the republican party and it's supporters have handled our loss of power in this country. You would think we see the writing on the wall that Americans are tired of what we are living in and focus on ways to make our party a better party for America in 2012. But no, we are more focuses on throwing dirt around and digging into conspiracies about Ice Storm relief in Kentucky! Are we serious? Is this what our party has become? I go to my local republican breakfast and I see a bunch of old men who are grumpy and set in thier ways. They dont want to change...why? Lets look at the American people and find out what we need to do to become the great party we once were and not the whining, crying, sore losers we look like right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I for one am so embarassed at how the republican party and it's supporters have handled our loss of power in this country. You would think we see the writing on the wall that Americans are tired of what we are living in and focus on ways to make our party a better party for America in 2012. But no, we are more focuses on throwing dirt around and digging into conspiracies about Ice Storm relief in Kentucky! Are we serious? Is this what our party has become? I go to my local republican breakfast and I see a bunch of old men who are grumpy and set in thier ways. They dont want to change...why? Lets look at the American people and find out what we need to do to become the great party we once were and not the whining, crying, sore losers we look like right now!
Quote:
Is this what our party has become?
I'm afraid so. I think that like you, I was probably smug and complacent enough to believe that the leadership always knew best and pride myself on what team players we Republicans are. What a rude awakening to finally realize that the Party has been hijacked, right under our noses, by people who share no common values with either Party. Nonetheless, we must assume responsibility and work diligently to rebuild our former greatness, or capitulate and form a new Party, leaving the name that has always stood for the Party of Lincoln to your grumpy old men, conspiracy theorists, and whining, crying, sore losers. Any Party worthy of the name must be able to work with the Loyal Opposition, and these birds ain't it!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
It's good to see people talking about the Loyal Opposition, b/c that's what it is, not the "enemy". Hopefully, time will heal some of the wounds and people can move forward.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:10 AM

I think they have lost sight of the end goal and that is the PEOPLE of The United States of America. I hope we can get better fast!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM

416 posts, read 712,617 times
Holdover from Rove's attitudes, imo.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
To quote a great American...
You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done.

Rush's way is the old and failed way. Unless Republicans are content to descend into irrelavancy as the Party of the Confederacy, they need to break out of the old ways and find the new ones that will let the country work and move together as a whole. It isn't like there's nothing to do here that we have all this time for mindless sniping and bickering. Probably we should all try to set our sites a little higher than that...

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Is this what our party has become?
It's worse than you think.

Coming off a shellacking at the polls in November, the plurality of GOP voters (43%) say their party has been too moderate over the past eight years, and 55% think it should become more like Alaska Governor Sarah Palin in the future, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/republicans_like_gop_s_conservative_direction_demo crats_don_t - broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It's worse than you think.

Coming off a shellacking at the polls in November, the plurality of GOP voters (43%) say their party has been too moderate over the past eight years, and 55% think it should become more like Alaska Governor Sarah Palin in the future, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/republicans_like_gop_s_conservative_direction_demo crats_don_t - broken link)

Thats area I highlighted in red is what really scares me!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
If I were a Republican it would terrify me. I would seriously start considering either forming a new party or trying to get the Democrats to move to the right, but staying in the Republican Party would be simply untenable.

But as a Democrat, I am sending a check to Palin's Pac in the hope that she will be the GOP nominee in 2012.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,376 times
Quote:
It would appear that the Republicans are merely trying to copy the Democrats, because those childish tactics seemed to have worked well for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies