Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Who knows if the rep party will ever get back to the fundamentals of smaller government and fiscal responsibility, not to mention the hallmark of conservatism -- PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY as in -- we don't care who you sleep with as that is your personal responsibility.

I am not optimistic though. Too many career politicians have too much invested in the party of the higher moral ground, and they either will not or cannot give it up. Plus, the damn fundies keep breeding so much that they have become a voting 'bloc' in and of themselves.

I say screw them and all like minded true conservatives either become independent voters or join in a third party. The rep party is long gone, it is now the Southern Baptist Party.
If the republican party would go this route, I might even convert!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
1. Get back to the core of true fiscal conservatism.
2. Look long term, and help Americans do so. Nothing is going to be fixed by putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.
3. Stress personal responsibility by letting people - and corporations - who have made bad choices FAIL.
- The people who were stupid enough to buy houses that were hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they could afford DESERVE to lose those houses.
- The mortgage brokerages that pushed said people to take those idiotic mortgage loans that they KNEW would ruin them after 3 yhears DESERVE to be run out of business.
- The automobile corporations who pay CEOs tens of millions of dollars per year, and pay out $75 per hour TOTAL labor costs DESERVE to lose out to better companies.

* We are WRONGLY assuming that there is nobody, and no company, that is ready and able to step in, fill the void, pick up the ball and run with it. There ARE banks that used sound fiscal judgment with their mortgage loans (I have 3 such loans with one local bank). They have the money and they are making INTELLIGENT mortgage loans on houses that have no become good investment options.

Basically, the Republicans need to stop "kissing short-term popularity butt" and move toward sound, intelligent platform planks. Unfortunately - although that is exactly the kind of thinking we need - in our culture of sound-byte driven drive-by media, that's not going to be popular.
OK. RON PAUL IT IS!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Not everyone is Rush or O'Reily..........
no, but that is who is speaking for and to your party.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
no, but that is who is speaking for and to your party.
I'm sorry, but if you actually think that, you're completely deluded.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
No that's who is all over MSM news sources. There are actual places to get real news. The republicans are speaking but not on MSNBC, maybe CNN and most likely on Fox. C-Span is always nice for nut jobs and actual replies from the politicians.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Nice try.

Got anything of an adult level to add?
It is an honest question, and no more childish than most of your posts. When it comes down to it, now that you actually took the time to write an insightful post, I can say I AGREE with a lot of what you said. However, most of the time, you don't bother to think. You just spew the usual talking points and bitterness that make you and your party sound like sore losers. The OP is 100% right.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
But he can and did change how the American people voted.

Anyone who voted and felt like there was going to be a sweeping change and things were about to be peachy was and is a fool. It will take DECADES for change of that magnitude to occur if it ever happens. I'm looking at the call for accounatability but all his appointees have tax issues, his anti lobbiest theme but his under sec for DOD is a lobbiest. Same old Washington.

The more I think about it the more I think we may be in need of a third party.
Were you equally concerned about the corruption during the Bush years? How about that Bush and his cronies have brought this country down with this unprecedented deficit? That he suspended environmental laws to allow his oil buddies to continue to rape the land--here and elsewhere--for obscene profits? That the abandoned the disenfranchised in this nation? That he lied to the American people to take us to war? That he broke the rule of law? That he authorized torture on American soil? The list goes on.

It will take DECADES of change because the mess the Republican Party left behind after the last 8 years is unbelievable.

You want to abandon the Republican Party because you can't face the destruction that Party's leadership has left behind. The Republican Party has a long and honorable history, but you want to jump ship? How about, instead, true conservatives and Republicans do what Obama did and start an internet revolution AGAINST the neo-conservatives who have hijacked your Party--those right-wing, Christian fundamentalist, salivating nut jobs who think the sociopathic Sarah Palin is the voice of Republicanism in this nation? How about you FIGHT for your party, rather than abandon it? Start an internet revolution, a Republican "MoveOn." Joe the Plumber? Come on. Take back your party, demand accountability and INTELLIGENT representatives of your values. Do it.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,372 times
^or just realize that partisan politics are at the heart of all of this ridiculous nonsense, and that both the democratic and republican parties would be laughable--if they didn't actually hold any power. unfortunately, they are both responsible for the idiocy that we see in politics.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
I did it in 1989 - married, with 2 kids, and a GROSS annual income of $22,000 and no benefits.
Better not have cost you more than $82,500. You don't get too much house for that kind of money most places.

Quote:
But hey, yeah, I suppose I was one of those "privileged wealthy" folks you sneer at.
All hat, no cattle.

Quote:
That said, are we in better shape - regarding the nation's housing situation - than we were 30 years ago? Hmmmm... Let me think about THAT one for awhile.
Until a bunch of greedy free-market privateers messed it up, yes, we were in a better situation than in the 1970's. Broader, higher quality stock of homes, higher percentage of home ownership, easier access to primary and secondary financing. Too bad a bunch of selfish right-wingers threw all that sand in the gears...

Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Obviously, you're another liberal who has no clue what the CRA was and is, and no clue regarding fiscal responsibility - both personal and corporate.
Thanks, but you're shooting blanks on this one. I'm not the only one here who's working way over your head on CRA. Give us the Mises Institute version of that history again...it cracks me up every time I hear it.

Quote:
But hey, let's keep pushing bad mortgage loans on stupid people. It has been working JUST GREAT these past 10 years, hasn't it?
Talk to Bushco and their Wall Street investment bank buddies. This whole fiasco was their doing. Somebody killed the goose that laid the golden eggs, and they're the only ones with a bloody hatchet in their hands.

Quote:
On the other hand, look on the bright side: This housing crisis allows those of us who were NOT stupid enough to buy overpriced homes an EXCELLENT investment opportunity! In fact, just yesterday I looked at a house with a tax-assessed valuation of $102,500 that I'm going to be able to buy for $30,000. And when the market turns around in a couple years... BINGO! Cheers!
Yeah, I'm looking at buying the townhome me and two other guys have been renting the past four years. Would have been in the $2 to 2.5 mil range back in the day, but if I can get it for 1.2 or even 1.5, I think it might work out pretty well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies