Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Vietnam vets forgive Jane Fonda?
Yes 30 23.62%
No 88 69.29%
Other 6 4.72%
Not Sure 3 2.36%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Troll or moron? You make the call.

That said, I think vets should give it a rest already. Yeah she's an idiot and deserves their contempt but thumbs down to the "public protests."
Troll or moron? Can I vote both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OOOOooohhhh! THAT'LL show her!

Maybe I can do it while her brother Peter is watching...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I hope they chase her to her grave.

What she did was treason & a disgrace. The wider public may have shrugged their shoulders & moved on, but good for the vets for keeping her feet to the fire.
Thanks for your support!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
LBJ is dead, guess you didn't get the memo!
I did.

Like I said, Go Git em!

Shall I tell you where to find him?

One day, LBJ looked out a White House window and saw 250,000 people carrying signs and a singing some songs. He asked his aide, "Who ARE those people?

His aide replied, "They're Americans Mr. President".

Old 02-22-2009, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,830 times
Default Read and learn foolish child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
There's nothing to apologize for. The men in Vietnam were aggressors and invaders and war criminals. They deserve no special consideration.

It's a shame that fools like djacques are allowed to spew their ignorance in any forum...he wasn't there...he learned about Vietnam from a liberal professor who wasn't there, and he was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple...such ignorance is astounding

http://www.wintersoldier.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Swett_CID

Read and learn foolish child.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

http://vietnam-veterans.us

Old 02-22-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I did.

Like I said, Go Git em!

Shall I tell you where to find him?

One day, LBJ looked out a White House window and saw 250,000 people carrying signs and a singing some songs. He asked his aide, "Who ARE those people?

His aide replied, "They're Americans Mr. President".
Maybe they were wishing him a happy birthday.

And no you don't need to tell me where to find him... I didn't vote for him.... But he was my Commander In
Chief.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
She's still 'Hanoi Jane' | The San Diego Union-Tribune

At her request, she made at least 10 broadcasts on Radio Hanoi that included calling American pilots war criminals and urging them to stop bombing North Vietnam. In a propaganda gesture heavily publicized by Hanoi, she also met with a group of coerced American prisoners of war to demonstrate, as the North Vietnamese intended, that the POWs were receiving "humane" treatment.
In fact, as we know now, nearly all American POWs in North Vietnam were brutally tortured until 1969, when Hanoi's policy changed to more selective mistreatment. One American POW was strung up from a ceiling by his broken arm until he agreed to listen to Fonda's assertions that the prisoners were being well treated.
When the POWs returned from North Vietnam in 1973 and told of their torture, Jane Fonda declared, "the POWs are lying if they assert it was North Vietnamese policy to torture American prisoners." For good measure, she also suggested that their recollections of torture were products of "racism" toward the Vietnamese.
Does Fonda regret her propaganda broadcasts for Radio Hanoi or her role in trying to persuade the world that tortured, brutalized American POWs were receiving humane treatment? Not a bit. Is she apologizing? No.
Here's what she told Leslie Stahl on "60 Minutes":
"I don't think there was anything wrong with it. It's not something that I will apologize for ... we'd been saying to Richard Nixon, 'stop this'... it needed what looks now to be unbelievably controversial things. That's what I felt was needed."
During World War II, two equally deluded American women, dubbed by U.S. servicemen Tokyo Rose and Axis Sally, made propaganda broadcasts from the capitals of Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany. Both were prosecuted for treason after the war, convicted and sent to federal prison. Fonda escaped that fate partly, one assumes, because of the ultimate unpopularity of the Vietnam War and partly because a prosecution for treason would require that a formally declared state of war had existed between the United States and North Vietnam. The majority of anti-

war protesters simply believed that American participation in the war was wrong. Their objective was American withdrawal from Vietnam. But a hard-core, hard-left minority in the anti-war coalition favored a communist victory by the Viet Cong and North Vietnam.
However witlessly, Jane Fonda lent herself to that latter goal, a communist triumph in Vietnam.
When the Soviet-armed North Vietnamese army overran South Vietnam in 1975, Fonda's then-husband, the left-wing radical Tom Hayden, expressed his relief and approval. When the North Vietnamese, quite predictably, imposed their totalitarian system on South Vietnam – complete with concentration camps that imprisoned hundreds of thousands of South Vietnamese and the extinguishing of all civil and political liberties – Jane Fonda said she couldn't object because the evidence of oppression was unproven.
When, by United Nations estimate, a quarter of a million South Vietnamese boat people perished at sea escaping their supposed liberators in the 1970s and 1980s, Jane Fonda was silent. When 2 million Cambodians were murdered or died of privation at the hands of the communist Khmer Rouge (originally Hanoi's allies), Jane Fonda had nothing to say. When the people of reunified Vietnam were denied basic human rights and continue to suffer today under Hanoi's one-party dictatorship, Jane Fonda apparently was too busy with her personal life to comment.
That's a lot to answer for, Hanoi Jane. Caldwell, a Vietnam veteran, is editor of the Insight
You did another great post.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:51 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Vietnam vets protest Jane Fonda's Broadway show. Should Vietnam vets forgive Jane Fonda?

IMO NO!!! they should not.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If he's drafted to the Navy then with his attitude he may be lost at sea.
It's more than his attitude that would be lost at sea. Gals and guys would be lining up to help...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM

472 posts, read 740,775 times
[quote=ProudCapMarine;7572124]Should Vietnam vets forgive Jane Fonda?

Not in a million years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies