Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times

Advertisements

I do know what I don't want to see is the fed taking over hospitals, employing all doctors, nurses etc. making the whole system one big government beaurocracy similar to the UK. We'll all end up with one nasty HMO except those who can afford private care. Also, the Fed would suffer very little to no consequences pertaining to incompetent care. Affirmative action will run rampant in the system like it is now with the feds which could be dangerous to someone's health. I do know from my experience the system as it is now is going to explode very soon, so something needs to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:47 AM

24 posts, read 92,732 times
Default Nice solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I am for that along with a single payer health care system.
You're given x amount of doctor visits, dental visits, vision visits, etc a year depending on your health...and if you feel you need to go more (not that it's medically necessary for you to go more but that you WANT to go more...), you pay out of your own pocket.
That sounds like a nice middle ground solution. It'll keep the quality of health care up as it will still be a lucrative field. And, it will keep people from abusing free health care, i.e (going in for a splinter or mosquito bite)

Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
In a finite system of freedoms the more you give up the easier it is to legislate your life. The more dependent you are on me the easier it is for me to continue in my continual abuse of that right.

It's like being in an overbearing relationship with someone who feverishly plans to take more control from the spouse inch by inch. Next thing you know you are married and your entire life is up for a court ruling. Your future income can be confiscated. If you have kids and both of you are good parents one side is all but guaranteed the children. The other guaranteed to pay (should pay but just making a point). Any violations of those court orders and you can go directly to jail do not pass go.

It's amazing some of the most ruthless capitalist in our society (congress) seem to be the most feverish about denouncing that capitalism. They are not capitalizing on the economy or the free market but instead our personal lives.

UHC may seem like the best carrot in the world. But it's just that a carrot. There is always a string attached to a pole be dangled by a ________.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,844 times
It simply does not make any sense. If Jim Bob is a welfare leech and chose to smoke his entire life, I will be paying for his lung cancer treatment with my tax dollars. I believe in personal responsibility above anything else.Why should I pay for people's stupidity?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 AM

272 posts, read 408,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
It simply does not make any sense. If Jim Bob is a welfare leech and chose to smoke his entire life, I will be paying for his lung cancer treatment with my tax dollars. I believe in personal responsibility above anything else.Why should I pay for people's stupidity?

then heavily tax cigarettes or ban them

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffb View Post
That sounds like a nice middle ground solution. It'll keep the quality of health care up as it will still be a lucrative field. And, it will keep people from abusing free health care, i.e (going in for a splinter or mosquito bite)
Yeah because no one takes advantage of government programs. Are you going to arrest them if they need to go in for a mosquito bite? Deny them care? Charge them? Those are the excuses now being used as to why we need this system. Because you can't turn someone down for a medical condition.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
What sort of barbaric society forces its individuals to compete on a survival-of-the-fittest basis for their very health?

Obama's plan is not "free" health care. It allows those with health care on the market to keep it and works to reduce private sector costs (not take over the private sector) while providing means for people to buy into a universal health care program.

We also do not live in a capitalist society. Never have. It's partially capitalist, but there's no truly free market anywhere in the world.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 AM

272 posts, read 408,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What sort of barbaric society forces its individuals to compete on a survival-of-the-fittest basis for their very health?

greedy Republicans do

Old 03-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Of course, just like questioning the 53 trillion in obligations for social programs (ALREADY IN PLACE) is trying to kill old people.... Let's see how all the old people fair in a bankrupt system.

There is some greed alright but it's not affecting the poor. Just your children who, by the way, can't even vote if they want to be bankrupt or not.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

Believe it or not, smokers arent the only ones who get sick and cant afford health care, nor are they the only ones who would benefit from proper preventitive care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies