Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I read it but it did not answer the question of how much does LAMEXICAN thinks he and his sister will have to pay in additional taxes to fund UHC.
If you read them then you would no the answer is on average about HALF of what we pay on private insurance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
If you read them then you would no the answer is on average about HALF of what we pay on private insurance!!
I'm still working my way through the reports as they are lengthy but I would like to hear it from YOU what percent of YOUR annual income do you anticipate that you would pay to fund UHC?

Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,020 times
Quote:
I'm still working my way through the reports as they are lengthy but I would like to hear it from YOU what percent of YOUR annual income do you anticipate that you would pay to fund UHC?
4 to 5% at max.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:10 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
4 to 5% at max.
If we do wind up going towards UHC then I sincerely hope that 4-5% is all we will have to shell out in taxes... Knowing our government, I'm not going to get my hopes up though ...

Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
If we do wind up going towards UHC then I sincerely hope that 4-5% is all we will have to shell out in taxes... Knowing our government, I'm not going to get my hopes up though ...
And knowing the corporations...? Or, is it that you would rather have corporations run this country?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To the contrary - I have frequently ACKNOWLEDGED the problem. In all honesty, because of my involvement with this group reporting to Congress, I'm perhaps a little more knowledgeable on the issue than you are.

There is a problem. But, as a nation, we do not need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

There are ways to make health insurance more affordable without going to a UHI. There are ways to reduce those without insurance -

But, we have to recognize that we are NOT going to get 100% of Americans covered by insurance. The President has noted this fact numerous times.

We also have to recognize that if you try to FORCE Americans to take one program - to take away their choices - there will be rebellion. Trying to do this is politically bad. It will not happen IMO.

Yes - there is a problem. And, it won't be easy, or fast, to correct it. But, a lot can be done to help
Quite sincerely - it makes me very very worried when people like you - with the callous disregard you have expressed to those with problems affording health insurance in this thread - have ANYTHING to do with setting policy..

Old 03-22-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should calm down and wait for a proposal to be floated by the Obama administration... Then and only then can you read the details and decide if there is anything to be concerned about.

Until then you just sound a lot like Chicken Little.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
You are being intellectually dishonest, however you seem to care about the problem so I will submit the cbo analysis.
Director’s Blog » Blog Archive » Two New CBO Reports on Health Care Issues
Thank you for this post - it was extremely informative!!!

I highly recommend that anyone who is concerned about the U.S. health insurance problem read the above article - and follow the links to the 2 detailed reports - there is a wealth of information in them - especially the first link...

Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
That's a point some don't understand - it is possible to "opt out" of social security.

You will not get everyone to agree to a UHI program. It will not happen

Are you going to deny them healthcare?

The ONLY way to opt out of social security is if you are a "minister" or on some religious ground.. We'v ealready covered this. Opting out is NOT as easy as you would like to make it out to be.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
And - what do you suggest be done with the underground economy - do you deny them healthcare?

You deny them the healthcare that is afforded to citizens who actually obey the law of their land and contribute to the well being of their country. They are "underground" let them pay it out of their own pocket..if you choose to live in an underground economy it is no better than living as an illegal. They'll get the same treatment as an illegal alien when they walk into a facility..patch up and recieve abill for the care. If they want to be citizens and be treated as such then they need to contribute as a legal citizen would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies