Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
TM.....do you read?
We are ON Medicare....you know....for old folks 65 and over.
How much are you willing to pay ?
I just gave you the potential costs for tax supported health care.....and didn't even give you the rest of the story.
In our case....I have told you this before....our FREE care costs us about $11,000 a year.
Are you listening??
Wait . YOU are the one that isn't reading.

I stated I was WRONG in miststated when I included MEDICARE under the statement YOU were responding TOO..

Medicaid is FREE with no contributions.

I ALSO pointed out that under the UK system SENIORS do not pay any copays/deductables..

GEEZ.. I give you credit and say you're right.. i mist stated and you eat my head off.. what the hell

and I believe I answered how much would I be willing to pay in a previous post.. somewhere between 5 and 10%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
If that legislation came to pass, would it not mean that many of the insurance companies would move to a state with the most lenient laws pertaining to corporations,
No - not necessarily.

There would be simply a change that would preclude individual states from controlling health insurance. As it is right now, that insurance company has to get approval from 50 different regulatory agencies as it applies to their premiums.

Under what will be considered - a insurance regulatory board would be established - probably under HEW - and these insurance companies would have to apply now to ONE agency - that alone will bring costs way down.

Thanks for the question.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,295,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - not necessarily.

There would be simply a change that would preclude individual states from controlling health insurance. As it is right now, that insurance company has to get approval from 50 different regulatory agencies as it applies to their premiums.

Under what will be considered - a insurance regulatory board would be established - probably under HEW - and these insurance companies would have to apply now to ONE agency - that alone will bring costs way down.

Thanks for the question.
Interesting.....

Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
says you
Yes - says me.

I was there - you were not.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Great day
Has your group nothing to suggest about the huge problem of not covering pre-existing conditions between lapses in coverage or for 'first timers'?
Some on here claim no coverage available. All I have experience with seeing is a 6 or 12 month waiting period before coverage which is understandable.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So, all the hospitals were government owned and operated?

In the United States, most (not all) hospitals and clinics are privately owned and operated.

What would be your suggestion as to these private hospitals? Close them? Have the government take them over?
That sure worked for the King/Drew hospital in Watts, CA. That county hospital was closed down due to numerous violations and other issues. I shudder to think of this being the future of healthcare in the US.

A TROUBLED HISTORY: The Times' timeline of problems at King hospital. - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-kingtimeline,0,4905048.story - broken link)

Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Interesting.....
And, there would most likely be an ombudsman program as part of this to help if there are any problems with claims. There would be a way to file complaints - with the hearings held in your locale.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
GEEZ.. I give you credit and say you're right.. i mist stated and you eat my head off.. what the hell
It's because you are always so rude and condesending in your posts.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
You're wrong again.
Free??
We certainly do pay co-pays...20%
plus we continue to pay almost $100 a month for Part B of Medicare
Since that 20% could mean many many thousands of a hospital bill, that means needing a supplemental policy...in our case $175 each per month.

I won't even get into the prescription plan because for anybody on expensive meds, that is disastrous.
Our FREE Medicare is eating almost 30% of our income.(and thankfully, we have income other than Social Security. I don't know ho those on SS alone can possibly manage.
And this is on government-ran MEDICARE????

Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Great day
Has your group nothing to suggest about the huge problem of not covering pre-existing conditions between lapses in coverage or for 'first timers'?
Some on here claim no coverage available. All I have experience with seeing is a 6 or 12 month waiting period before coverage which is understandable.
Actually yes - one of the proposals is that the insurance companies would have to take the groups you mentioned - pre-existing being the "hardest" to get covered now - but the Ins companies would have to cover them.

Now, because those with Pre existing are also more expensive to cover, it is being suggested to allow the companies to charge a higher premium but, cap the premium (some are suggesting no more than 115 to 120% of "regular"). Eliminate the waiting periods.

Thanks for the question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies