Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I wonder if the higher life expectancy in some of the more "socialized" nations is partly due to the mandated vacations rather than just the health system? More vacations have to be responsible for reducing stress which would improve health.
Well, if you live to 80, as is the life expectancy in Sweden, that is 15 yrs beyond retirement, so I doubt it.

BTW, perlagirl, I've been to Canada, too, and I didn't notice a lower standard of living there. GD was referring to the big monster motor homes the Canadians bring down to AZ, and I've seen that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Taxation in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

K.. so if Im' understanding it a person is taxed at 11%. If the person making $30K is paying 11% of their income for NHC. .it's about $275. Sure as heck beats $800/month or 32% for insurance.
11% of 30K is over 3,000

Old 03-22-2009, 05:47 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
TM... I paid the same for my hair highlights here as I did in Phoenix. Perhaps she should try working there.

I've found that getting my hair done outside of NY was far cheaper than getting it done in NY.. and where my mom lives it's SUPER CHEAP! But then so is the cost of living in comparison AND the salaries.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
11% of 30K is over 3,000

Yeah.. that's for the whole year..

Again.. beats 32% of $30K that equals $9600! 3 x's the amount!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The active duty military have there own universal health care, the government has been managing that for a long time.

I was in the service and thought the care was fine and so less stressful, just make an appointment.

(VA is another story)
lol!! This has been FAR from my experience with the MTF (Military Treatment Facilities)/Tricare.
There are some good "Drs" and some bad. When you have a "Drs" (keep in mind MANY of your "Drs" at the MTF's ARE NOT CERTIFIED) diagnosing you from a book because they dont have a clue about what is going on with you is scary. Having a car accident and having constant headaches for months afterwards and thinking its a sinus infection WHEN you finally do get an appointment, they tell you nothing is wrong and to go home. Then turn around go to a chiropractor (that you pay out of pocket for under Tricare) to have them show you that it was in fact the car accident that was giving you headaches for so long. Not ONCE did they do any test to see what was going on.
My last pregnancy, they chewed my butt for not excercising when I was just told by not one but 2 Drs that I was on bed rest with in 6 days before talking to this nurse. Lets just say a 5 page complaint I finally got referred out to a civilian Dr.
Getting up 15 minutes BEFORE the appointment lines open and start calling so you can make your sick child or yourself a same day appointment, sitting on hold for 10+ minutes just to be told that there are no appointments available and to take them to the ER (which you will sit there for 5+ hours). I have gone to civilian hospitals and been seen MUCH faster than I have at an MTF.
A friend of mine was telling me how she wishes they had nationalized health care. I told her of my dealings in the past 2 years. She changed her mind real quick. She loves the fact that she can call her ped up at anytime and get an appointment instead of being told to go to the ER.
Even now by the suggestion of the CBO, they are wanting to start charging co-pays and max out of pockets for some who cannot even afford it and barely make it work from payday to payday.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM

122 posts, read 210,081 times
TM... what you also have to understand is that if you want to be like the french than you are going to have to pay french taxes. Their gas tax is over 50%, their VAT tax is 15%, their corporate tax is 33%, and their income tax is higher. Are you ready for that?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
TM... what you also have to understand is that if you want to be like the french than you are going to have to pay french taxes. Their gas tax is over 50%, their VAT tax is 15%, their corporate tax is 33%, and their income tax is higher. Are you ready for that?

I didn't neccesarily say I wanted to be like the French. I haven't really looked at their tax structure and how there system works as much as I've looked at Britians and even Canada.

But you know what.. in the end if everyone gets coverage than I think I could live with that. AFter all, the French love their system and they aren't really complainging. They are certainly not rushing to privatize.

I expect some sacrafices and some other things .. I do. But in the end, if every citizen is covered.. it's worth it. It's not only about me.. it's about everyone. Maybe that is just Kumbaya of me.. but that is how I am ..

Old 03-22-2009, 05:56 PM

France is going broke - literally, because of their healthcare policies

Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM

UK INCOME TAX RATES COULD HIT 61%... Universal Health Care

UK INCOME TAX RATES COULD HIT 61%... Universal Health Care - [domain blocked due to spam]

High earners face increased National Insurance payments and a new supertax under a raft of measures announced in today's pre-Budget report.

Pre-Budget report: National Insurance rise adds to high earners' woes - Telegraph

Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
UK INCOME TAX RATES COULD HIT 61%... Universal Health Care

UK INCOME TAX RATES COULD HIT 61%... Universal Health Care - [domain blocked due to spam]

High earners face increased National Insurance payments and a new supertax under a raft of measures announced in today's pre-Budget report.

Pre-Budget report: National Insurance rise adds to high earners' woes - Telegraph

Gd.. don't distort. I took the PORTION OF TAXES that applies to NHC. And that is 11%.

What else the government needs for other things is another story.. but 11% is the tax rate for healthcare system for the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies