Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 05:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
How much longer? 2 years right. 80.4 versus 78.06. Maybe they have a healthier lifestyle, less stress, smoke less, less genetic disorders...

Can you prove that it is because of their healthcare system?

Bingo.

Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Looking at this weeks comedy of Congress and the AIG mess, you guys really want the government controlling your health care?
its not a comedy its our credit card in the wrong hands. mr obama needs to slow down, or we will have the same end result as the bush boys. its about the money not the party.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:09 PM

122 posts, read 210,094 times
In the EU the life expectancy is 78.7. Again in the US it's 78.06. Interestingly in the US virgin Islands it's 79.2.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
People in UHC countries spend more on taxes than americans
I was not referring to personal, out of pocket expenditures. I was referring to expenditures per capita from all sources. Here is a little table I found on the web. I don't know why these countries aren't in alphabetical order; it would certainly make comparisons easier, but oh, well. The only country that comes close to us is Luxemborg.

Per Capita Health Expenditures by Country, 2007 — Infoplease.com

Quote:
In the EU the life expectancy is 78.7. Again in the US it's 78.06. Interestingly in the US virgin Islands it's 79.2.
Where do you get the number for the EU? It is comprised of many different countries, each with their own system and statistics.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,014,623 times
Quote:
TM.. what is a person making $30K a year (presumably not you ) doing living in an incredibly expensive area like Long Island NY or anywhere near NYC? I know that my health insurance was much cheaper when I lived in Phoenix, AZ. They could even move to Mass. since there is universal insurance there. There are so many options in fact. If one were intelligent and fiscally responsible than they could figure it out. They could move to the DC area and get a job with the government making more than twice that and get health insurance that way. They could use flat rate doctors and get insurance for emergent care.

Perlagirl.

The example I cited wasn't me.. but think....really THINK about your question.

It's kind of silly, don't you think. If there were no hairdressers livign on LI where would everyone get their hair done??

If everyone living on Long Island could make upwards of $100K a year, what professions do you think would live there.. and who would do all the work that they don't do?

People live where they live because they were born there. I lived on Long Island because i grew up there and it was all I knew. It was also where my family lived. .. and THAT is VERY important. NOw.. I no longer live on LI because of the cost of living and no longer having my family living there it made no sense. But many of my friends stay and do so ONLY because they do not want to leave their parents and deprive their grandchildren of their grandparents (and those fortuante enough to live near their parents often get to save on childcare).

Do you think in ordre to live on Long Island you need to be say a lawyer, doctor or other high paying profession??

Old 03-22-2009, 05:17 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,014,623 times
Quote:
People in UHC countries spend more on taxes than americans

well Duh.. yeah they do.. but it's less than we spend on our individual healthcare.

UHC isn't FREE.. of course not.. they pay higher taxes, but less than what we each are paying (or our employers) for individual coverage.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM

122 posts, read 210,094 times
And in the British Virgin Islands it's 76.86. explain that....

Sorry long tangent. Just happy to dispell the Michael Moore myth.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
It is possible, and sometimes preferable, for children to "leave the nest" (so to speak) and actually move "far away" - While wanting to be near family is very nice - sometimes one needs to go where the opportunities are - even if it is across the country - or the other side of the Globe.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:20 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,680 times
Doctors are worth every penny in the US.
Pretty simple really.

Last edited by amerifree; 03-22-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM

7,936 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is a joke. The only thing that gives you lower rates of any significance is less coverage, higher deductibles and copays,, things like that. Your insurance company controls your options, too. The policies with the lowest rates control severely who you can see as a provider. And despite all this "competition", Americans spend more on health care (from all sources) than people in UHC countries.
You're right in this. So what then will be cut to make the premiums more affordable under Obama's plan? I know reimbusement rates to providers will be cut, but that won't be enough to make up for the 47 million people that will now be added to the system (most likely subsidized in some fashion). What treatments or procedures will be eliminated? That will be important to look at as his plan develops.

Also, one thing that can't be overlooked in our spending more than other countries is what we spend it on. Chronic illness is a huge expense in this country. Should we stop paying for it like other countries? Cancer treatment is also a huge expense. Will we stop paying for certain chemo meds ,as Britain has just recently announced, because it was too expensive?

Our current plan is far from perfect. However, before we run to Obama's plan we deserve to have a well presented and debated plan, and not something thrown together quickly and placed for vote on a Friday night due to the health care "crisis". They did that with the stimulus plan and TARP and look at the problems we have with that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies