Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

For all your protestations and denigrating others we must keep in mind which one of us bought more house than she could afford to keep.
But, since it wasn't a McMansion style, you don't see wanting that house as more than you needed, do you? (BTW....that's the definition of greed)
So how about knocking it off about how cruel and greedy those with admittedly higher goals are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Agreed. I look at ceos and not wonder who they stepped on on their way up the corporate ladder, but how many hours they put in to get there -- first studying to get excellent grades then on the job.
Those were sacrifices I wasn't prepared to make. And I will also admit (unlike some) that I wasn't smart enough to get to the top rung of a corporation, either.
Class envy is a ***** -- especially when one is in denial.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,014,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
For all your protestations and denigrating others we must keep in mind which one of us bought more house than she could afford to keep.
But, since it wasn't a McMansion style, you don't see wanting that house as more than you needed, do you? (BTW....that's the definition of greed)
So how about knocking it off about how cruel and greedy those with admittedly higher goals are.

LOL.. first of all.. I COULD afford it ( I was making some good money then.. and grateful for it) while I was in it until I couldn't afford it anymore.. Number of factors played into that.

Buying my house was a huge mistake.. and as a result I got out from under it and sucked it up. I lost my life savings that I worked really hard for .. really hard for.. and I worked hard for that house too.. saving up the down payment.. etc.

And.. at the end of the day I was greatful for what I had.. my family, my friends and the lesson I learned along the way..

I wasn't greedy at all. I worked hard for it and paid for it . .until circumstances changed and couldn't anymore and gave it up..

so go to hell !!

Last edited by TristansMommy; 03-23-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Hmmm... I can't recall the last time, or any time, the post office screwed something up for me. I drop a letter in the mail and for 42 cents, they come get it and take it anywhere in the country for me. I'd say that's pretty good service. Never had a bad experience with Amtrak either.
I've mostly had positive experiences with the USPS but they have placed my mail in other boxes and vice versa. Amtrak service just plain suck as the Surfliner is chronologically late and their conductors/employees lack customer service skills.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
GD.. Class envy is just a word people use to try and discredit our argument. I envy NOTHING the "rich" have.. I really don't. I don't find value in money.. I find value in people.

But damn it.. I get so pissed off when the middle guy keeps getting pissed on by those in the upper brackets..and when we say enough if enough it's "class envy"

NO GD.. they, as a group, have earned my disdain for them.. NOT because they have something I don't.. because i really don't need nor do I really want what they have.. but because they have so callously acted in arrogance for too long. They've taken their tax cuts over the last 8 years while leaving the middle with the BURDEN (BURDEN has NOTHIGN to do with dollar amount) of the taxes in this country. Instead of using that break as it was intended they instead took jobs overseas and gave each other huge fat raises and ridiculous bonuses while stagnating the wages for the rest of the county. THEY have gotten richer while the middle can't really call themselves middle anymore because of all the stagnation.

They've shown that they care NOTHING about their country with their greed for more and more money at the expense for the rest of us. THAT INCLUDES the insurance racket! They sold out their own countries economy up the river so that they could get richer.... and then stick the little guys.. the guys in the middle with the bill GD.

Unlike some people.. I don't need fancy cars, overpriced clothes or a McMansion.. I really do not. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine how or why the rich squander their money on such ridiculous things. I would probably live quite comfortably not really different .. accept I wouldnt have to worry if I had enough money to buy groceries this week or not. I think that the truly nice and compassionate people don't really get rich because it seems that in order to get rich int his country you have to screw someone at some point (figuritively , not literally) and walk over someone to get there. I could not, would not and would never want to do that. If I get rich, I'll do it the most honest and sincere way possible.

So.. all of you can say it's "class envy" if that makes you feel better.. but it couldn't be further from the truth. It's more like OUTRAGE at how abhorrent those that have the money have become.. so busy worrying about how much more they can get and caring ONLY about themselves.

That doesnt' go for all wealthy people, or people that make big bucks.. but I was thinking the other day.. people who end up at the top of companies..how many people did they have to step over to get there and is it really worth selling your soul for the money?
TM ... I have to agree with GD as you seem really obsessed with what the rich does and doesn't do. The fact that this eats you up is evidence of your class envy. Believe it or not, the rich actually pay the bulk of the taxes in this country as it is and I am of the belief that people should be able to enjoy what they earn and not be subjected to unfair "rich taxes". The greatest thing about this country is that we don't have a caste system. There are countless stories of folks born into poverty and have worked hard to make it rich. I don't begrudge them of that. Many of the "rich" everyone's calling to raise taxes on were probably middleclass or poor at some point in their lives.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
If you think health care is expensive now just wait until it's free.
Yeah ... when the government gives its citizens the illusions of "free healthcare", everybody and their mommas will be flooding the DR offices for every little ache and pain. Of course eventually there won't be enough resources to handle this extra demand so rationing is the next logical step.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
The extreme rich are getting way out of touch with reality. They seem not aware that the Average , middle class person , IS Mad as hell and won't take it any more. The pitch fork , torch carrying crowd is getting larger by the day. Still , as the have nots grow day by day , the greedy continues to flaunt their wealth ,. Most of it gained at the expense of the very people that made them so ....... I will be surprised if we don't see violence in the streets over the disparaging divide The smart money , is to give some back , befriend the little guy.... Universal health care , is but a small price to pay...they ( the super rich ) , may even find a way to profit from it.
Redistribution of wealth.., its coming with a vengeance , I would be worried if I were they , of the manor born , the privileged few , that the wild unregulated ride may be over......

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I find the comments that seem to dismiss our Northern neighbors as primitive childlike fools , quite disturbing. Anyone who can say that Canada's west coast ( Vancouver area ) is behind the times , living in the 50s , has not spent any real time there. <snip>.
I think I know how Barack Obama felt when there was that big flap about his remarks about the Special Olympics. I did not mean that Canda was "primitive" or "childlike" (words I did not use, thank you very much). I grew up in the 50s and 60s and frankly, Canada reminds me of the US back then, or at least it did about 10 years ago when we made an extensive road trip there. I do not feel there is anything negative in describing it as having a slower pace of life. You certainly know you are in a different country when you are there. darstar, please do not put words into my mouth again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
If you think health care is expensive now just wait until it's free.
Frankly, that is a jingoistic saying that doesn't say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I've mostly had positive experiences with the USPS but they have placed my mail in other boxes and vice versa. Amtrak service just plain suck as the Surfliner is chronologically late and their conductors/employees lack customer service skills.
Yes, and train service before Amtrak was so great (not)!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Yeah ... when the government gives its citizens the illusions of "free healthcare", everybody and their mommas will be flooding the DR offices for every little ache and pain. Of course eventually there won't be enough resources to handle this extra demand so rationing is the next logical step.
And that is the BIGGEST reason why I can never get an appointment (either for my kids or myself) and get told to go to the ER all the time with being on Tricare (a gov't ran "insurance").

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,304 times
Quote:
Yes, and train service before Amtrak was so great (not)!
I loved train service before Amtrak took over. I used to actually be able to get places by train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
And that is the BIGGEST reason why I can never get an appointment (either for my kids or myself) and get told to go to the ER all the time with being on Tricare (a gov't ran "insurance").
And if the government takes over our health care, we really won't be able to get appointments.

As far as the "rich" are concerned, there's one thing a lot of people never seem to think about ...........

Every time the wealthy spend a small or large fortune on something, that money goes somewhere. It doesn't just go into a box and get hidden away. It goes to a store, or a service, or a company .... that money may be the reason someone else has a job. They pay a sales tax on that item that goes back into the state they live in. Someone always benefits from all the money that is spent by someone else.

So we want the wealthy to spend their money. Without them spending, we're all in real trouble. Because it is the wealthy who spend the big bucks, the ones that really pump up the economy. There are those here who will argue about that, but I don't see how.

When I think of the taxes that pour into Palm Beach County because of the wealthy who live on Palm Beach island, it's mind boggling. Where would we be without all those tax dollars? We sure can't keep everything going here with just my measily donation!

We need the wealthy in this country. They pay most of the taxes no matter how much some want to deny it. We lose our wealthy; we lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies