Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I noticed no outrage over large amounts of taxpayers money going to buying out the union contracts.. I wonder why..

Per your link
So Vega, a production worker whose base pay is about $60,000 per year, is considering the $75,000 buyout and trying to get another job

So essentially they were offered one year of their pay as compensation, lets see what a CEO makes shall we..

GM board restores CEO Rick Wagoner's salary, sets pay for new COO - Michigan Business Archives

Salary of $2.2M, Incentive pay of $3.5M, 165,563 shares of stok at that time selling for about $20 each, 500,000 stock options, + 75,000 shares of preferred stock. anotherwords, about $20M.. His $23M layoff package is slighly more than his yearly salary, ironic, so is the union wages and their layoff package.

Regardless, where was the outrage over using taxpayers money to buy out thousands of employees to leave?

Everyone needs their villian, CEO's make great targets
There is a very good reason for that - CEO's are the "captains" of their ship - they are certainly not shy about taking the credit (and huge bonus's when a company does well) so they should suffer accordingly when the company does poorly. After all, THEY chart the course, and ultimately, their companies' fates are THEIR responsibility. In the case of a car company, THEY set policy, THEY decide what direction the company is going to go in - whether that be to focus on small, fuel efficient cars or large gas guzzling trucks, THEY decide where to spend their R&D money, THEY decide where and how to spend their advertizing budget, THEY decide where and when and how to update plants, etc, etc, etc. Now, in truth, it's not always them directly making those calls - usually it's the executives heading up the various divisions that report to them, but the fact is, the CEO is the person most responsible for WHERE the companies goes and HOW it gets there - consequently when a company is run into the ground THEY are the ones who should be held most accountable. This is why there is outrage about failed CEO's getting large severance packages. They run the company into the ground with poor decisions, then get a hefty severance that's more than most folks make during their entire lives. If you are going to be paid sky-high amounts then you d*mn wall better deliver. That's why it's called "pay for performance". The problem is, all too often there is little to no "performance" involved - yet the pay is STILL sky high because the board of directors and the CEO's of these companies are watching out for THEMSELVES rather than for either the stockholders OR the employees - and in effect end up looting the companies and then driving them into the ground.

Somehow I doubt that Vega and his 60K job had much control over where the company ended up. Don't get me wrong - Vega DID play a part (as the union employees in general did) but as an individual, his part was small. Just as the President of the country gets most of the publics' blame in the case of the economic decline of the over the last year (when in fact the American public as a whole played a part as well (living beyond our means)), so the CEO of a failed company gets the blame as well - and for the very same reason. As an individual, who has the ability to set policy and thus is more likely to influence events - the unnamed "Joe Blow" or the guy steering the ship?

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-01-2009 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 07:37 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Quote:
Do they get a percentage of their pay if they are fired? Yes, yes they do. Thats what a pension is.

Do you even have a clue about why the motor companies are having financial hardship? If you think he did such a terrible job, then explain to me why every single car company in the world is facing similar problems.. Its an industry problem, not tied to just GM
Some of us understand the Automotive industry intimately - Every single car company in the World is facing the same or similar problems currently being experienced by GM?

Interesting.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Back to the OP....

Dow DOWN -95.26 (-1.25%) 9:39AM

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Some of us understand the Automotive industry intimately - Every single car company in the World is facing the same or similar problems currently being experienced by GM?

Interesting.
I've challenged posters here to name one large auto company that isnt facing economic problems. I note your response questioned my accuracy but didnt dispute it with facts..

Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I've challenged posters here to name one large auto company that isnt facing economic problems. I note your response questioned my accuracy but didnt dispute it with facts..
You didn't post a fact if your information is inaccurate.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Um.... you did notice that the ENTIRE WORLD (and virtually ALL it's industries - aside from those that tend to thrive during down cycles) and not just the auto industry, are facing economic problems.

However, not all have faired so poorly as GM and Chrysler - and there are reasons for that. Some of them have to do with an overbloated union structure and an aging work force, and some of them have to do with extremely poor management decisions over an extended period of time and a public perception of inferior products.

While Toyota etc are definitely DOWN, they are not nearly in as much trouble as GM and Chrysler.

Ken

Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM

Which automakers have had sales increase?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
You didn't post a fact if your information is inaccurate.
Translation: Its ok to blame the CEO of GM for the problems of GM, even though the entire world is facing similar problems. Translation: You cant dispute the simple fact that all car companies are facing the same problem or you simply would have named ONE car company that wasnt..

Why even Lord below has confirmed that I'm right while at the same time argues I'm wrong..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um.... you did notice that the ENTIRE WORLD (and virtually ALL it's industries - aside from those that tend to thrive during down cycles) and not just the auto industry, are facing economic problems.

However, not all have faired so poorly as GM and Chrysler - and there are reasons for that. Some of them have to do with an overbloated union structure and an aging work force, and some of them have to do with extremely poor management decisions over an extended period of time and a public perception of inferior products.

While Toyota etc are definitely DOWN, they are not nearly in as much trouble as GM and Chrysler.

Ken

Thanks for confirming exactly what I said.. To simply blame one man for an economic problem that a company is having, even though other companies in the very same industry is having similar problems is ludicrous..

Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Which automakers have had sales increase?
Hyundai's sales are up 4.9 percent.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Hyundai's sales are up 4.9 percent.
Why is that do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies