Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

Um, aren't they supposed to be registered? Again, why the arm flapping over registering your gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

479 posts, read 660,983 times
It's not the gun, semi-auto, auto, double barrel, single shot, whatever...it's what the gun represents.

Again, it's what the gun represents that is the key.

What does it represent, in simple terms it's means I can and will defend myself and family from common robbers AND tyranny from the government.

If we didn't have that I am sure Pelosi, et all, would have already tried to put some of us in "camps" for our own safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
By assault weapons, I mean military weapons, or military-like weapons. If what a gun is used for is hunting and personal protection, why would anyone need more than the regular plain guns?

Note: I am NOT knowledgable where firearms are concerned.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Let me admit that I haven't read this whole thread and should therefore not be replying to the first few posts. However, I think I can offer a very important reason for Nasty Nancy wanting registration of all fire arms. When the banning laws do come about it will be easier for the government to know what firearms each person owns and they can require that all you have registered must be turned in.

They want to know who owns what and where. ergo, registration.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Um, aren't they supposed to be registered? Again, why the arm flapping over registering your gun?
Why should firearms be registered?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
It's not the gun, semi-auto, auto, double barrel, single shot, whatever...it's what the gun represents.

What does it represent, in simple terms it's means I can and will defend myself and family from common robbers AND tyranny from the government.

If we didn't have that I am sure Pelosi, et all, would have already tried to put some of us in "camps" for our own safety.
You should have posted this one long ago since it very plainly demonstrates why so many do not want a federal data base as to who has what and where.

Is there a more common robber than that government you mentioned that comes to your house, figuratively speaking, and demands part of your earnings to be given to people who don't work along those who can't work?

I will attend Tea Party meeting to protest this redistribution of the wealth of the country by government.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
A Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) report on “Firearms Use by Offenders” found that fewer than 1% of U.S. “crime guns” came from gun shows, with repeat offenders even less likely than first-timers to buy guns from any retail source. This 2001 study was based on interviews with 18,000 state prison inmates and is the largest such study ever conducted by the government.
Caroline Wolf Harlow, Firearm Use by Offenders 6 (Bureau of Justice Statistics, Nov. 2001).

Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Criminals do not buy guns from gun shows....it is a red herring.

Gun crime is quite high in states with strict gun laws...another red herring.
It's also high in states with lax gun laws... that was my point... in fact, often times higher.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post

This is where you lose most of America... nobody is trying to take away your guns and nobody is coming to take you away to a camp... although maybe they should.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
It's also high in states with lax gun laws... that was my point... in fact, often times higher.
That would be due to demographics....not guns.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Caroline Wolf Harlow, Firearm Use by Offenders 6 (Bureau of Justice Statistics, Nov. 2001).
I wouldn't expect the criminals to be brazen enough to buy the guns at the gun show but I suspect that the re-sales to criminals were purchased at a gun show since there is no record of the sellers having purchased it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies