Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

Straight, white, OLD males face discrimination. I am a straight, white, old, FEMALE and I find I don't face as much discrimination as my husband does. It seems roles have been reversed. I am now EXPERIENCED and "wise" while he is just plain OLD. Ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
On another thread, I was surprised to learn that a lot of straight, white guys feel that they feel like a minority or that society is biased against them.

Do straight, white males really face discrimination? If so, how? Please give examples.

I'm hoping for sincere and intelligent answers. Thanks.
Yes, just today my Cuban wife got first dibs on the tivo remote.....obviously I blame Obama.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Straight, white, OLD males face discrimination. I am a straight, white, old, FEMALE and I find I don't face as much discrimination as my husband does. It seems roles have been reversed. I am now EXPERIENCED and "wise" while he is just plain OLD. Ironic.
Plus us old guys get bimbos while you get pool boys.

Not that I'd trade.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes. We all are.
Sorry, but no. A white male is expected to look, dress, and act a certain way. Women, minorities and gays are not.

Quote:
Not true at all. Hate crime status isn't just assigned to a crime. A prosecutor has to prove the case in a court of law.
Really, can you show me a time when a white guy beat up a black guy and it wasnt listed as hate? can you show me a time when a straight man beat up a homosexual and it wasnt hate?

Now show me how many black men beat up a white guy and it wasnt hate. Show me a time when a gay guy beat up a straight guy and it wasnt hate.

When the ones who are thought to be the victims of hate commit the crime it is considered defense. If a woman beats up a guy all she has to do is say it was defense. If a guy hits a woman in defense it is still assault.

Quote:
Quite a victim mentality you've got. Thanks for your opinions, though. I'm just glad I don't share them.
No, I do not feel a victim at all, I just feel that we allow Race, sex, religion, sexuality, and other social markers get in the way of the truth. We need to drop the social markers and make everyone equal. Sure we say we are all equal be we know we are not. All classes have their on benefits and drawbacks. We can only have peace when we no longer see black, white, asian, mexican, male, female, straight, gay, Christian, Catholic, agnostic, athiest and all other markers.

Why must we classify like this? why cant I just be a human? why does it matter if I am white, male, and straight?

It shouldnt, but sadly it does.

All social markers are victims of their own making. Any stereotypes that are thought to belong to a group where put there by that group. If you dont like it, change it. Dont act like those who fit the stereotype.

Another thing, why do we insist on being just like everyone else, or someone else? Why cant we just be who we want to be? Like me or hate me, I am who I am. Just hate and like me for who I am. That is all I ask. I refuse to change who I am to please society or anyone.

"One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised."

- Chinua Achebe

Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
Yes, I'm so glad I'm not a straight, white male. The world is my oyster! I can go anywhere I want and don't have to worry about discrimination or racism. I know that whatever career I choose, I'll earn equal pay. I can marry whomever I want. If I were to be arrested, I'm assured of a completely fair trial complete with a jury who mostly looks like me. The CEOs of most Fortune 500 companies are just like me. The student body at most of our nation's top universities are mostly like me, save for a few white males here and there...we call them affirmative action babies.

In fact, the only downside that I see to not being a straight, white male is that I can never be the first of a kind to do anything. I'll never be known as the first Asian woman or gay guy to do this or that. It has all been down by others just like me before.

You make the common mistake of not differentiating between wealthy strait white males (daddy's boys) and poor strait white males. Being born white and male means nothing if the doctor doesn't pull you out of the right crotch. Wealthy white males are in no way effected by affirmative action because they either inherit a family business or are hooked up by daddy's friends. Poor whites are hammered by both class-based opportunities denied them and affirmative action. If the purpose of affirmative action is to destroy the few opportunities poor white males have, it is very effective, but it has little effect on wealthy white males.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 AM

522 posts, read 715,232 times
From a female perspective we are considered a minority. So keep playing the worlds smallest violin. Pass the popcorn please.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:32 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great post!

It's good to see you realize what happens in the real world.

To the Whiney, Insecure, Poor Little Me Crying males:
After about 10,000 years of white male dominance , IF there was/is discrimination against a white male ....I really don't care...

How DOES IT FEEL ?
I think you're the person that gets pointed to when white supremacist groups starting recruiting. Affirmative action programs are only defensible as remediation, not as retribution. If white men are made to believe or can perceive that its us versus them and the choices are a) assert the superior rights of the white race or b) forgo those rights until some minority group punishes whites for the transgressions of the past. Hopefully most people can see beyond that narrow view towards a future with equal human rights irrespective of race.

I don't know where you've gotten the idea that white men have been in charge of society for 10000 years but I'll forgive you the hyperbole. I don't think it's a particularly compelling argument that because for generations people that looked like vaguely like me and had the same gender as I do controlled society that I should somehow be made to suffer for it. I haven't controlled society yet and am a bit disappointed I've missed my turn.

That's not to say I've been made to suffer or anything. Most people I've met have been fair and those that haven't didn't indicate they weren't because I was white. People of all colors and genders thank me when I hold the door for them, as well.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
If I see a black guy beating a woman and i stop it and beat up the black guy I am thrown in jail, this did happen to me. He even had a gun when the cops showed up, but I was the one who went to jail.
This is a bit difficult to believe. If the cops showed up at a crime scene and a black guy was actually in possession of a loaded gun they'd have called in an air strike.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Like I said, Join the Army, do a tour in Afghanistan, then you can get Veterans Preference

Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,105 times
Besides maybe being called a racist. I can't think about anything affecting white males. Certainly doesn't come close to what the average black and hispanic male faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies