Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,767,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You definitely don't know me. A racist I am not. Stick around the forum for a while though, you'll see fully my extreme dislike for liberal ideology.

IF YOU GROUP PEOPLE AND TREAT THEM DIFFERENT BASED ON COLOR YOU ARE RACIST. do the big letters make it easier to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Haha, nope. It is good to be white, straight, and male. I've had way more opportunities handed to me, faced much less discrimination, and generally had an easier time of things than I would have had I been any other race, color, or sex.
Thanks for your thorough response. It's good to hear from someone who appreciates his status in the world.

Although I'm not straight, I can say that I've felt like being a white male has given me advantages similar to what you've described. It becomes especially noticeable if I'm in another country where whites aren't the majority - such as Mexico. Aside from the way people there treat me, it's easy to feel superior when you're taller than 98% of the people around you.

I do feel like I need to "hide" the gay part, however. For the most part, I don't have to work hard at that, but still, it's something that I have to keep in mind. I'm aware that it's a disadvantage in the social strata of most societies, and I'm envious of straight guys who never have to worry about that issue. But hey - that's life. I can't change the world.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
IF YOU GROUP PEOPLE AND TREAT THEM DIFFERENT BASED ON COLOR YOU ARE RACIST. do the big letters make it easier to understand?
LOL you look foolish, to be honest.

As I said before, I will hold the door for whomever I want, whenever I want, for as long as I want. I'm not interviewing them for a job, I'm simpling proceeding through the door before them.

Get off your crybaby soap box. There are bigger issues for you to tackle, such as stopping the ignoramuses in Congress that are committing generational theft with every flap of the lip and every stroke of the pen.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,767,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL you look foolish, to be honest.

As I said before, I will hold the door for whomever I want, whenever I want, for as long as I want. I'm not interviewing them for a job, I'm simpling proceeding through the door before them.

Get off your crybaby soap box.

crying about what? you show your ignorance well

Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Straight white males

1. Make more on average than any other group for the same jobs in America. Including white women. Male–female income disparity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (yes I know wiki, but the sources at the bottom are legit) Income Disparity Persists Between Blacks, Whites : NPR

2. Have held power in this country by law or custom since the nations inception.

3. Tend to be the main 'cross over offenders' in crimes aimed at non-straight-white-christian-males (hate crime, racial, gender, religious, etc) by an overwhelming degree. Like, 2/3 to 4/5 of all hate crimes are committed by straight white males against someone else, despite straight white males only representing 1/3 of the nation. Federal Bureau of Investigation - How To, Use Our Resources

Nuff said.

1. By your own link the male-female income "disparity" provides the reasons. IE.... men work more hours, men pick high risk/high reward jobs (accounting for 92% of all workplace fatalities by your own link). There are a ton of variables that statisitic does not account for. Yes, overall in a blanket statement you could say men make a little more than women. But men are also much more likely to die or be injured on the job than women. The income gap exists because of career choices made by men and women.

By your own link: "This statistic does not take into account differences in experience, skill, occupation, or hours worked, other than meeting requirement for "full time" work"

"women who have never married earn 94.2 percent of their unmarried male counterparts' earnings a figure that is within less than 6% of wage parity despite the fact that, "women, still..are more likely to choose jobs in education and healthcare, where earnings will tend to be lower"

And this one in particular: "childless women who have never married earn 117 percent of their childless male counterparts (as revealed by Census data from 2001), when the comparison controls for education, hours worked and age"

Safe to say that statistic is quashed as a bogus exaggeration.

2. Wealthy white males have held power, not all white males. The poor white male was often not much better off than the African American, and worse off than the white woman. Yet all white males have been lumped into one "priveleged" group. The fact is that only a few wealthy white males have been as "priveleged" as the claim you made.

Last edited by th3vault; 11-06-2009 at 01:17 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 12:52 AM

737 posts, read 1,177,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I love people who believe they can speak for everyone.

Tell me, what one of these categories do you fit into?
gay, female, or non white? Because no one would preclude to speak for EVERYONE unless you are not part the one with the question being directed to..
I am a straight white male, the precise audience the OP was addressing.

And I have never felt discriminated against whether it be in the workplace, in social circles, in political gatherings, when dating or in any other aspect of my life. Since I have not felt like I have faced discrimination I have no examples of it to provide.

However I am a brown haired brown eyed straight white male, not a blonde haired blue eyed straight white male. So there is another point you can nit pick at.

Last edited by CityPerson09; 11-06-2009 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: had to add something

Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
nope.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
On another thread, I was surprised to learn that a lot of straight, white guys feel that they feel like a minority or that society is biased against them.

Do straight, white males really face discrimination? If so, how? Please give examples.

I'm hoping for sincere and intelligent answers. Thanks.
I've been discriminated against for my long hair, and for not being Mexican. I haven't been discriminated against for being striaght, white or male.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I've been discriminated against for my long hair, and for not being Mexican.
How exactly were you discriminated against for having long hair and for not being Mexican?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
1. By your own link the male-female income "disparity" provides the reasons. IE.... men work more hours, men pick high risk/high reward jobs (accounting for 92% of all workplace fatalities by your own link). There are a ton of variables that statisitic does not account for. Yes, overall in a blanket statement you could say men make a little more than women. But men are also much more likely to die or be injured on the job than women. The income gap exists because of career choices made by men and women.
Nope. Did you check the links? The income comparison included hourly wages and salary.

Men pick high risk jobs? That has nothing to do with pay. The highest paying jobs in America are VERY low risk jobs. (Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Business exec, Broker etc)

All variables were accounted for, and there have been literally HUNDREDS of cross studies. All say the same.

Quote:
By your own link: "This statistic does not take into account differences in experience, skill, occupation, or hours worked, other than meeting requirement for "full time" work"
Did you read further down and check the second link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by link
In the book Biology at Work: Rethinking Sexual Equality, Browne writes: "Because of the sex differences in hours worked, the hourly earnings gap [...] is a better indicator of the sexual disparity in earnings than the annual figure. Even the hourly earnings ratio does not completely capture the effects of sex differences in hours, however, because employees who work more hours also tend to earn more per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault
2. Wealthy white males have held power, not all white males. The poor white male was often not much better off than the African American, and worse off than the white woman. Yet all white males have been lumped into one "priveleged" group. The fact is that only a few wealthy white males have been as "priveleged" as the claim you made.

?? Thats a broad claim. But you are answering a question that wasnt asked. The claim was that white males overall as a group, not some, statistically and historically have held power and economic advantages over all other groups.

Personal income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The only exception was among the holders of graduate degrees who consititute 8.9% of the population. Among those with a Master's, Professional or Doctorate degree those who identified as White had the highest median individual income. While Asian Americans had a median income roughly ten percent higher than that of Whites, this racial income gap was relatively small. The largest racial gap was between Whites and African Americans with the former earning roughly 22% more than the latter. Thus one can observe a significant discrepancy with the median income of Asians and Whites and that of African Americans and Hispanics.[
Higher Education Is the Major Force in Closing the Black-White Income Gap

Quote:
Unfortunately, the encouraging news we report, regarding the narrow income gap between college-educated blacks and whites, is tempered when we see that from 2003 to 2004 the racial income gap between black and white college graduates actually increased. In 2003 the median income for blacks with a college degree was $36,694. But in 2004 the median income for blacks with a four-year college degree actually dropped 2 percent to $36,086. At the same time the median income for non-Hispanic whites with a college degree increased from $38,667 to $39,987, an increase of 3.4 percent. It is hoped that this is a one-year statistical anomaly and not the start of a long-term trend widening the income gap between college-educated blacks and college-educated whites.
So when skill is leveled, white males are still paid more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies