Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
On another thread, I was surprised to learn that a lot of straight, white guys feel that they feel like a minority or that society is biased against them.

Do straight, white males really face discrimination? If so, how? Please give examples.

I'm hoping for sincere and intelligent answers. Thanks.

"Thanks for the application, but we're not hiring" says the black female from behind the counter. Hey, wait a minute, they're all black females. No white women and no white men, just black females (theme from twilight zone begins playing in the background). How odd that the application said "Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer" as though the two were not mutually exclusive concepts. What sort of newspeak is that? How can one group be given preferential treatment, yet the opportunity be equal for all?

The truth is it is simply a matter of convenience to blame white males, a statistical minority, for the short comings of other groups. This is because doing anything else defines others as inferior. That, of course, is unacceptable in PC America. Take for example the recent thread about whites doing nothing to help a child being abducted by a middle aged white man. The staged event had the little girl yelling "You're not my dad" as he dragged her to his vehicle. You can do this all day long as long as the creepy child molester is white. FBI statistics show that with sex crimes, like most other crime categories, blacks are twice as likely to offend as whites, but we cannot have a black man abducting a white child on TV. The OP made hay of the fact that two black males came to the rescue while whites did nothing to help. In America, the races could never, never ever be reversed.

I sit through endless Broadband Alarm commercials in which some creepy white dude is always peeking through a hole in the fence of some woman and her child just before he kicks the door in, presumably to rape the woman and/or child, or commit some other equally sick crime. Always, ALWAYS it's a white guy. Gotta be a dozen different scenarios played out, but always a door getting kicked in and some creepy white dude doing it.

Same thing with the anti-drug PSAs. Got some white dude selling drugs to a black kid. It's never the other way around. Go anywhere in America and find a crack dealer and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts its a black dude, but you'll never see it on TV.

And the work place, good night! We have to watch every single word that comes out of our mouthes because some female might go crying to human resources because she doesn't like you or she has a friend who needs a jobs and yours will do just fine. With precious few exceptions, I don't even speak to females at work if I can avoid it. The way I look at it, anything I say can and will be used against me.

What happened to Jerold MacKenzie happens to white males all the time. Generally speaking, and from the employer's point of view, being white and male means you have to go when a conflict arises for them to avoid a lawsuit. Employers know NOW or the Rainbow Coalition won't show up if the white guy gets canned. So they do the safe thing and screw him. In MacKenzie's case, even though the original jury found in his favor and the female who brought the complaint was proven to be a liar, Miller won on appeal because they have more lawyers.

So if you ever wonder why the white guy at work seems have an attitude for you and generally makes a point to ignore you, now you know why. From a white males perspective, everyone who is not also a white male is a potential lawsuit.

Last edited by momonkey; 11-06-2009 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
What??? you guys are so stuck in your little world of hatred of anyone different you can't even see yourselves doing it.

You are right, I see you used the word YOU GUYS meaning everyone in a group. So in your own words you must be racist for typing YOU GUYS meaning a specific group.

I am assuming your YOU GUYS are white males, which by your own words is a group that you singled out.

I see far more racism from the "real racist" people then from what you have been brainwashed by people like Rev Wright to think.

Not even close.

But oh I get it, only white men are the racist ones according to you. You had better wake up soon to see who the real racist people are.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 AM

395 posts, read 510,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not at all. Nothing racist about it. If anything, its the black women that are exercising racism. It's a personal observation based on personal experience. Only a liberal like yourself would view it any differently. You can try to put me in a box and label me, like the left are famous for, but it doesn't work on me. Nice try, but total fail.
People who hold the door and get angry if the person doesn't say "THANK YOU" is pretty ridiculous. I guess you expect something out of your "good deed" which isn't really how it should work.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Default Straight, white males: Do you face discrimination?

We middle aged white guys have got it tough. Maybe we should act like a bunch of petulant children. That'll show America!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Well, I do get pissed off when I hold the door and I don't get a respectable "thank you" in return. Bad manners, perhaps. Or hatred for whitey. Who knows. But I quit holding doors for black women about 15 years ago. Doesn't take too many times without a respectable "thank you" to notice a trend. Coffee on the dress? Who cares. Hands full? Who cares. Learn some manners, and you'll get respect in return.
I get very irritated by this as well. I see it more from the younger generation (young 20's and such). I deal with it all of the time on campus.

As far as discrimination goes...every 'group' has faced discrimination/racism/exploitation/enslavement at one point or another by another group at some time in history. No one group has a corner on discrimination and suffering.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Haha, nope. It is good to be white, straight, and male. I've had way more opportunities handed to me, faced much less discrimination, and generally had an easier time of things than I would have had I been any other race, color, or sex.

This holds true in Caucasian societies as well as other societies. In traffic stops or other police actions, I was never regarded with suspicion or guardedness. In job interviews, it was almost always an old guy of my race making the decision to hire or not, so I didn't worry that he would have some deep-seated prejudice in his decision.

When traveling abroad, Hollywood helped export the idea that I was a heavily-armed action hero, cowboy, or just generally desirable character, and US-friendly countries looked at my face and remembered similar faces sending them aid, helping with disaster relief, or at least talking about supporting their causes. I can cross borders with impunity. All I need are the right papers and some decent clothes. I get waved through checkpoints where others are detained.

Even in countries we fought against, like in North[ern] Vietnam, a man who had hidden in a cave with his family while US forces had bombed his town and laced the fields with anti-personnel mines was all smiles and said we should now be friends when I spoke to him.

When living in neighborhoods or shopping in areas with few whites, I was regarded with friendship or at very worst--curiosity, unlike how my own race might treat those same minorites should they move into a all-white neighborhood.

Are there some scholarships, awards, or places I'm not eligible for? Sure, but they are few and far between. Is there a chance I might be edged out of a job by a slightly-less-qualified individual because of a quota? Maybe, but not by someone wildly underqualified, more than likely it will be someone just as qualified who also happens to help diversify that workplace. Judging by some of the places I've worked and the attitudes I've overheard, there are still workplaces that could use some diversity of people and viewpoints.

Are there places my skin makes me [feel] unwelcome or edgy? Sure, but there would be many more of those kinds of places for me were I any other race.

Overall, it's still good to be white, straight, and male, IMO.
Great post!

It's good to see you realize what happens in the real world.

To the Whiney, Insecure, Poor Little Me Crying males:
After about 10,000 years of white male dominance , IF there was/is discrimination against a white male ....I really don't care...

How DOES IT FEEL ?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,767,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
1. By your own link the male-female income "disparity" provides the reasons. IE.... men work more hours, men pick high risk/high reward jobs (accounting for 92% of all workplace fatalities by your own link). There are a ton of variables that statisitic does not account for. Yes, overall in a blanket statement you could say men make a little more than women. But men are also much more likely to die or be injured on the job than women. The income gap exists because of career choices made by men and women.

By your own link: "This statistic does not take into account differences in experience, skill, occupation, or hours worked, other than meeting requirement for "full time" work"

"women who have never married earn 94.2 percent of their unmarried male counterparts' earnings a figure that is within less than 6% of wage parity despite the fact that, "women, still..are more likely to choose jobs in education and healthcare, where earnings will tend to be lower"

And this one in particular: "childless women who have never married earn 117 percent of their childless male counterparts (as revealed by Census data from 2001), when the comparison controls for education, hours worked and age"

Safe to say that statistic is quashed as a bogus exaggeration.

2. Wealthy white males have held power, not all white males. The poor white male was often not much better off than the African American, and worse off than the white woman. Yet all white males have been lumped into one "priveleged" group. The fact is that only a few wealthy white males have been as "priveleged" as the claim you made.

not much better off is still better off

Secondly women make less at the same jobs, get your facts straight.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great post!

It's good to see you realize what happens in the real world.

To the Whiney, Insecure, Poor Little Me Crying males:
After about 10,000 years of white male dominance , IF there was/is discrimination against a white male ....I really don't care...

How DOES IT FEEL ?
You might want to ask the huge percentage of white males in their 40's
that question before they jump off the Golden gate bridge. They comprise the
largest group in the last year. Now that's what is happening in the real world.
Hope it makes you feel real good..............

Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Thanks for the application, but we're not hiring" says the black female from behind the counter. Hey, wait a minute, they're all black females. No white women and no white men, just black females (theme from twilight zone begins playing in the background). How odd that the application said "Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer" as though the two were not mutually exclusive concepts. What sort of newspeak is that? How can one group be given preferential treatment, yet the opportunity be equal for all?

The truth is it is simply a matter of convenience to blame white males, a statistical minority, for the short comings of other groups. This is because doing anything else defines others as inferior. That, of course, is unacceptable in PC America. Take for example the recent thread about whites doing nothing to help a child being abducted by a middle aged white man. The staged event had the little girl yelling "You're not my dad" as he dragged her to his vehicle. You can do this all day long as long as the creepy child molester is white. FBI statistics show that with sex crimes, like most other crime categories, blacks are twice as likely to offend as whites, but we cannot have a black man abducting a white child on TV. The OP made hay of the fact that two black males came to the rescue while whites did nothing to help. In America, the races could never, never ever be reversed.

I sit through endless Broadband Alarm commercials in which some creepy white dude is always peeking through a hole in the fence of some woman and her child just before he kicks the door in, presumably to rape the woman and/or child, or commit some other equally sick crime. Always, ALWAYS it's a white guy. Gotta be a dozen different scenarios played out, but always a door getting kicked in and some creepy white dude doing it.

Same thing with the anti-drug PSAs. Got some white dude selling drugs to a black kid. It's never the other way around. Go anywhere in America and find a crack dealer and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts its a black dude, but you'll never see it on TV.

And the work place, good night! We have to watch every single word that comes out of our mouthes because some female might go crying to human resources because she doesn't like you or she has a friend who needs a jobs and yours will do just fine. With precious few exceptions, I don't even speak to females at work if I can avoid it. The way I look at it, anything I say can and will be used against me.

What happened to Jerold MacKenzie happens to white males all the time. Generally speaking, and from the employer's point of view, being white and male means you have to go when a conflict arises for them to avoid a lawsuit. Employers know NOW or the Rainbow Coalition won't show up if the white guy gets canned. So they do the safe thing and screw him. In MacKenzie's case, even though the original jury found in his favor and the female who brought the complaint was proven to be a liar, Miller won on appeal because they have more lawyers.

So if you ever wonder why the white guy at work seems have an attitude for you and generally makes a point to ignore you, now you know why. From a white males perspective, everyone who is not also a white male is a potential lawsuit.

You sir clearly have a negative view about black people. Did you ever consider how often a black person walks into an all white place??? Alot more than the opposite. It is clear you just want to justify your hate.

If what you say is true why are white males in power positions so much more than anyone else, including in our gov't?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You are right, I see you used the word YOU GUYS meaning everyone in a group. So in your own words you must be racist for typing YOU GUYS meaning a specific group.

I am assuming your YOU GUYS are white males, which by your own words is a group that you singled out.

I see far more racism from the "real racist" people then from what you have been brainwashed by people like Rev Wright to think.

Not even close.

But oh I get it, only white men are the racist ones according to you. You had better wake up soon to see who the real racist people are.

no you guys meant people posting on the board I am a white male

and yes you are right the real racists are people that have been oppressed not the oppressors.

Man the hatred just seeps out of you so much you can't hide it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies