Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup! It is....GOOD! Because without it ALL white males would get ALL the jobs.

That teeny 5% difference can ALMOST make up for the personal discrimination of those who do the hiring.....
Oh how you assume to much.
We use the quota system. In other words we hire regardless of qualification. We need X amount of females we hire whatever females apply.
We need Y amount of minorities they get hired regardless of qualification.
We work a 12 hour swing shift on concrete. Often the females and minorities hired are physically unfit for the job. Or they come from a background where they have 0 experience and no mechanical ability.
In short they are a burden to whatever team they are assigned to. Add to this we are expected to get them trained and promoted ASAP demonstrated ability is not a factor.
That discriminates against those who can actually do the job and do it well.
As for the teeny 5%? If its not such a big deal why do they need it? If they are equally skilled why do they need it?
You can try to justify discrimination all you like but that will not make it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If they are equally skilled why do they need it?
This assumes of course that people of different genders and ethnicities and similar skills and backgrounds would be treated equally by employers and potential employers absent a watchdog over their shoulders.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times
Nope, not at all. I get up go to work/school and don't feel any discrimination. Even after 4 years in southern AZ where you pretty much are a minority, or equal with hispanics, I felt treated fairly.

To be fair I grew up in MI in a pretty white portion of the state, not a lot of room for discrimination. More labelling people as hicks, white trash or yuppies.

Once though, my gf (future wife) and I were driving through the Navajo reservation after going to four corners, and we needed to stop, we got a lot of looks like "what are you doing out here whitey?" It felt weird, but no one was rude or impolite at all, it was just like we were out of place.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
not much better off is still better off

Secondly women make less at the same jobs, get your facts straight.

And no they don't. Obama even passed a law giving them infinitley more time to sue if that happens.

Prove that women make less doing the exact same job as men, not some blanket statement about in general.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Great post!

It's good to see you realize what happens in the real world.

To the Whiney, Insecure, Poor Little Me Crying males:
After about 10,000 years of white male dominance , IF there was/is discrimination against a white male ....I really don't care...

How DOES IT FEEL ?
10,000 years of white male dominance? Suuuurree....learn some history first. White males didn't "dominate" anything at all until the 1500's. Europe was way behind the rest of the world until then.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yup! It is....GOOD! Because without it ALL white males would get ALL the jobs.

That teeny 5% difference can ALMOST make up for the personal discrimination of those who do the hiring.....
I don't think there's much room for "personal discrimination" by a hiring manager on an objective test....

Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
On another thread, I was surprised to learn that a lot of straight, white guys feel that they feel like a minority or that society is biased against them.

Do straight, white males really face discrimination? If so, how? Please give examples.

I'm hoping for sincere and intelligent answers. Thanks.
No.

As a Straight White Male, I not only do not face any discrimination, but I also have distinct advantages due to the fact that I look like a politician when I put on a suit and not a kid going to trial.

Never in my life has my skin color, heterosexuality or maleness kept me down in any way.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Men pick high risk jobs? That has nothing to do with pay. The highest paying jobs in America are VERY low risk jobs. (Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, Business exec, Broker etc)
The highest paying jobs account for a small percentage of total Americans. Even so.... some of the ones you listed are hardly "low" risk...the risk is just financial and job security rather than physical.

Where a huge part of this disparity is coming from are the common jobs that are male or female dominated. While a lot of men are in dangerous jobs like construction, law enforcement, logging, mining, oil drilling....a lot of women are in lower paying but safer jobs like education, retail, food service, hospitality.....

Have you heard of risk/reward? The greater the risk, the greater the reward. That's why the more dangerous jobs pay more than the safer jobs do.

And it's not all physical risk either...financial and job security are risks too, and men are in careers that risk those more often than women are.

"From the start of the recession in December 2007 through this past March, 79 percent of the jobs lost were held by men, while 21 percent were held by women"

The Great 'Mancession': Recession's big layoffs have hit men harder than women (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/business/epaper/2009/09/07/0907recessionmen.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=6 - broken link)

Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
You might want to ask the huge percentage of white males in their 40's
that question before they jump off the Golden gate bridge. They comprise the
largest group in the last year. Now that's what is happening in the real world.
Hope it makes you feel real good..............
You're suggesting that most white men who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge are doing it because they face anti-white male discrimination?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
So mate, since you've got it so bad, tell me, would you ever trade places? If you could be the exact same person you are, only black or Asian, would you do it? Do you think your work life would be the same? Do you think your social life would be the same?
Good questions. I'd like to see a study asking people, "If you could have been born into any race, gender, and sexual orientation, which would you choose?" Certainly, most people would rather be heterosexual than homosexual; I doubt anyone would argue with that. And then I would have to guess that most people would choose to be be born white.

I'm not so sure about gender, but I'm very sure that most people would choose to be born white and heterosexual. As far as I know, in every society, the lighter-skinned people are seen as more desirable than the darker-skinned, and heterosexuals are valued more than homosexuals.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 11-06-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies