Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Boo Hoo. Somebody's not happy with the trend in public opinion.
This "trend" is not statistically relevant, if we are using your quoted source. Can you find another that might be more accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He changed to keep his seat and admitted as much
Why did he have to change parties in order to keep his seat? Because the Republican Party turned on him and was trying to knock him out of his seat? Small wonder, then, that he decided he was better off with the Democrats.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:47 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
I have the same story. Former republican who got sick of the focus on abortion-abortion-abortion. If the GOP would return to being the party I once knew, I would seriously consider returning to it. But I have a feeling the party's going to die, like parties have in the past. I might be convinced to join whatever party rises from the ashes, depending on if they focus on economic issues or social issues. This could be a real opportunity for the libertarians, IMO.
I wouldn't mind seeing a third party, but I think the Libertarians are too out there with some of their views, not all. I'd like to see a middle of the road party, like Nixon's "silent majority" that is strong on Defense for sure, but also strong on balanced budgets (regardless of WHATEVER level of taxes is needed to achieve that), energy independence, health care, good schools. The ultra social conservatives can stay out on the far right fringe, and the ultra social liberals can stay out on the far left fringe, and the bulk of the nation can be at peace with itself in the middle. Easier said than done. I was hoping that Ross Perot would get us there in 1992, but that died in strange fashion.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a third party, but I think the Libertarians are too out there with some of their views, not all. I'd like to see a middle of the road party, like Nixon's "silent majority" that is strong on Defense for sure, but also strong on balanced budgets (regardless of WHATEVER level of taxes is needed to achieve that), energy independence, health care, good schools. The ultra social conservatives can stay out on the far right fringe, and the ultra social liberals can stay out on the far left fringe, and the bulk of the nation can be at peace with itself in the middle. Easier said than done. I was hoping that Ross Perot would get us there in 1992, but that died in strange fashion.
I agree. I think it's more likely that a branch of the GOP will break away and form a new party. The new party will then draw an increasing number of the GOP members until it becomes the dominant party. A new party formed in this way could become very powerful, the democrats should pay attention. It would be history repeating itself, like when the Republican Party was first formed and became strong because it essentially devoured the Whig Party.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
looks good on paper, but I doubt it will change much, really. He seems to be a pretty independent thinker and voter.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:57 PM

749 posts, read 947,038 times
Ah yes, don't they call that swinging - swapping partners.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
looks good on paper, but I doubt it will change much, really. He seems to be a pretty independent thinker and voter.
As you say he is going to vote the same anyway. It is probably more psychological and is setting off currents that will in someway have a considerable impact.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:11 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
The Democratic Party is big enough to welcome moderates. Susan and Olympia, the party is open for you to join. Make the leap together!
I agree! We need to recruit them too. We are really rolling. Can you say "southern white male party" for the Republicans??

Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Gays? I think you can exclude that from the GOP agenda lol. Homosexuals and liberals thrive off of each other. I have no use for either one, at least not from a policy/agenda standpoint.
Log Cabin Republicans

Never heard of these folks? If the GOP keeps ignoring the moderate positions
of most Americans, they'll continue to diminish as a valid political entity.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I agree. I think it's more likely that a branch of the GOP will break away and form a new party. The new party will then draw an increasing number of the GOP members until it becomes the dominant party. A new party formed in this way could become very powerful, the democrats should pay attention. It would be history repeating itself, like when the Republican Party was first formed and became strong because it essentially devoured the Whig Party.
They need to purge themselves of groups like this one first.

Club for Growth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies