Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM

749 posts, read 946,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Ladies and gentlemen....this is Barry Obama's idea of an auto bailout and job creation!

Well at least the UAW will still be paid even though their entire industry is crumbling. Wonder if anyone's told them that once the other two go down, their precious pensions won't be there.

Hard to sustain a business when you're paying people that haven't worked there for 20 years. Not a great business model.

I think I've figured it out. Obama wants to create 3.5m jobs, what he did not tell us is that first he will cut 12m. Then it will be easier to create 3.5m jobs.

This is going to keep the unemployment folks real busy for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 AM

749 posts, read 946,887 times
So if it costs nothing to have these dealerships, why close them?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
pghquest - I'll bet the Toyota Dealer said, "We can get one for you in less than a week."

The FIRST LAW OF RETAIL = the customer is always right.

Seems our auto companies and dealers have replaced this with "the financiers are always right." Now wonder the American sector of the industry is collapsing. They have forgotten how to sell cars. They have forgotten that they have to sell the thing before they can finance it.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I hate that the dealerships only have until June 9th to sale all those cars!!

If sales have been slow...how the heck do you expect them to sale cars?
Even if the prices were at rockbottom prices, I doubt they will see huge sales. I just don't trust the reliability of a Chrysler. I have heard WAY too many horror stories and my mom had one....yuck. It was crazy because it started having all these issues once she made her last payment.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Americans are very much a now industry. If I'm paying $30,000 for a car, I want it now. I dont want to wait 30 days for it..

I agree with you in idealogy though, when I used to sell cars, the dealership I worked with got in an argument with me because the customer wanted a "color" that they didnt have. Dealerships argument, customer doesnt know what color they want, color doesnt matter.. and we should just ignore the request. This was some time ago, but I'm sure things havent changed.
In some situations you can't wait 30 days....
I personally wouldn't mind the wait if it meant I'd get a better deal...provided my "old" car is still running.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
What the hell does this have to do with John Maynard Keynes? Every single post you make is wost then the last and it has become abundantly clear that you haven't a clue what you are talking about when it comes to economics.
The Bush/Obama tried a little Keynes on these auto companies by injecting gubmint money. It failed. Keynesianism is voodoo witchdoctoring. Always has been. Always will be.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
This is a classic case of too little too late.
Unions are inflexible right to the point of closing the company down.
Companies are reactive instead of proactive.
Our fed gov is in the pockets of the lobbyists.
And yet some would wonder how this happened.
The really sad part is that in this countries we have success models to follow. Look no further than Toyota and Honda USA. Plants that are run with the future in mind.
We have politicians many of whom have never ran a successful business let alone a car business trying to dictate how the big 3 should do business. We have Unions so short sighted that they fail to understand that the future of their jobs is in jeopardy and refuse to compromise. Add to that the leadership of the big 3 assuming that the fed will save them.
How with this combination could a successful outcome happen?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Wonder how many of these dealership owners and workers voted for Obama.
Wonder what they think now?

Can you imagine spending your lifetime building up your business to have the Feds close you down?
Which group is next?

How much can/will the American citizens take before they revolt?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Wonder how many of these dealership owners and workers voted for Obama.
Wonder what they think now?

Can you imagine spending your lifetime building up your business to have the Feds close you down?
Which group is next?

How much can/will the American citizens take before they revolt?
You make little sense.

What was the McCain plan to save the auto industry that these Obama voters would otherwise have been so much more happy about?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
You make little sense.

What was the McCain plan to save the auto industry that these Obama voters would otherwise have been so much more happy about?
Someone else (why does it have to be McCain?) may have let them fail and a foreign entity buying their assets up for pennies on the dollar, rather than raping and pillaging the company's piggyback courtesy of jet setting execs and union bosses. Oh, and not to forget the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies