Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM

530 posts, read 651,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Your words :
I also doubt that the majority of those getting abortions do it primarily as a matter of convenience.

Here is a list by percentage of why woman get abortions.

Why Abortions Are Performed
  • The overwhelming majority of all abortions, (95%), are done as a means of birth control.
  • Only 1% are performed because of rape or incest;
  • 1% because of fetal abnormalities;
  • 3% due to the mother's health problems.
Source: Central Illinois Right To Life

Reasons Women Choose Abortion (U.S.)
  • Wants to postpone childbearing: 25.5%
  • Wants no (more) children: 7.9%
  • Cannot afford a baby: 21.3%
  • Having a child will disrupt education or job: 10.8%
  • Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy: 14.1%
  • Too young; parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy: 12.2%
  • Risk to maternal health: 2.8%
  • Risk to fetal health: 3.3%
  • Other: 2.1%
Abortion Statistics by U.S. State, Race, Age and Worldwide Statistics (http://www.abortiontv.com/Misc/AbortionStatistics.htm#Why - broken link) Abortions Are Performed

I see most of these reasons to have an abortion as convienince, So i would respectfully disagree with your belief.

I presume you are not comparing pollution to abortion.
Wow. Imagine that the poll from the Illinois RIGHT TO LIFE! Biased......most likely. The last time i checked when you go to have an abortion you don't have to answer why. There is no box to mark. It also is a private matter between a woman and her doctor which is covered under HIPPA laws, so a woman doesn't have to answer why.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,240,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
So you don't really care about ending abortion...you just want it to be a state issue...ok now i really see where you are coming from! Oh, just a funny thought...what if every state made it legal? Would you still have a problem with it?
Yes it would become a stae my state by state issue. In that case then i woudl work on the oppostion state by state.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Wow. Imagine that the poll from the Illinois RIGHT TO LIFE! Biased......most likely. The last time i checked when you go to have an abortion you don't have to answer why. There is no box to mark. It also is a private matter between a woman and her doctor which is covered under HIPPA laws, so a woman doesn't have to answer why.
it was part of a report from the guttmacher report. You yourself have quote parts of the report in defending your side

Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
No all I am saying is religion and politics have no business co-mingling.
If anyone is a member of a church and takes a stance on a political issue they have co mingled. So what do you mean

Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,356,085 times
Quote:
If anyone is a member of a church and takes a stance on a political issue they have co mingled. So what do you mean
what I think most people are saying in regards to the whole religion/voting thing. Is that most people use their faith or bible as fact to back up a claim. Sorry but there is no evidence that the bible is actually fact. So, when it comes to political issues, one can only use an opinion so much, people want straight forward facts. Religious people who vote against something usually dont use anything other than the bible some use facts but when those facts prove them wrong or prove to be bias then they revert back to the bible.

Sorry but anyone who uses the bible to back up anything other than the bible itself, need to learn how to do some actual reseach.

Religion has never solved anything, in most cases it only starts wars, pisses people off, and gets people killed who are innocent. Religion claims to practice peace, but in fact they practice judgement. They think that judging is loving, when actually you cannot truly love or care for anyone if you judge them first.

Religious people are the worst at judging a book by its cover.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
what I think most people are saying in regards to the whole religion/voting thing. Is that most people use their faith or bible as fact to back up a claim. Sorry but there is no evidence that the bible is actually fact. So, when it comes to political issues, one can only use an opinion so much, people want straight forward facts. Religious people who vote against something usually dont use anything other than the bible some use facts but when those facts prove them wrong or prove to be bias then they revert back to the bible.

Sorry but anyone who uses the bible to back up anything other than the bible itself, need to learn how to do some actual reseach.

Religion has never solved anything, in most cases it only starts wars, pisses people off, and gets people killed who are innocent. Religion claims to practice peace, but in fact they practice judgement. They think that judging is loving, when actually you cannot truly love or care for anyone if you judge them first.

Religious people are the worst at judging a book by its cover.
seems you are very bigoted and prejudiced against people who go to church and believe in god.
I do not go to church but i do believe in god, so does that make me religious? My stance on abortion is not religiously based.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
seems you are very bigoted and prejudiced against people who go to church and believe in god.
I do not go to church but i do believe in god, so does that make me religious? My stance on abortion is not religiously based.
I have nothing against God, his followers however, can be a pain in the rear. I only have a problem with those that choose to use the bible in a conversation that has nothing to do with the bible. If we where talking about the bible...sure bring it up. I do not think that the bible or God has a place in politics. One should be guided by experience, education and skill, not by religion when it comes to politics.

You may not go to church, and beleive in God, that makes you spiritual unless you read the bible and see it as a life guide or anything else that it is not. It is simply an interesting read, one covered in mystery, and truths protected by the churches of the world. Many churches have done some pretty distasteful things in the name of GOD.

And I applaud you that your opinion is not religiously based. Most people who are Pro-life use the bible as their bullet, and in most cases is just a blank.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against God, his followers however, can be a pain in the rear. I only have a problem with those that choose to use the bible in a conversation that has nothing to do with the bible. If we where talking about the bible...sure bring it up. I do not think that the bible or God has a place in politics. One should be guided by experience, education and skill, not by religion when it comes to politics.

You may not go to church, and beleive in God, that makes you spiritual unless you read the bible and see it as a life guide or anything else that it is not. It is simply an interesting read, one covered in mystery, and truths protected by the churches of the world. Many churches have done some pretty distasteful things in the name of GOD.

And I applaud you that your opinion is not religiously based. Most people who are Pro-life use the bible as their bullet, and in most cases is just a blank.
I have not seen one person in this thread use the bible or quote the bible.
It sure sound like your prejudiced against people that read the bible though

Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I have not seen one person in this thread use the bible or quote the bible.
It sure sound like your prejudiced against people that read the bible though
Hey you asked I answered. Plus I am not prejeduce to people who read the bible. You can read it all you want, take from it what you want.But keep it to yourself.

hypothetical question: If you where in the military and you where in Iraq, a child is running at you with a gun or grenade, he is running right towards you and your company or a group of people...what do you do?

Assume the child wont hurt you or shoot the child so that it doesnt have the chance to hurt you?

Another one: An elderly man or woman is in the hospital, they are a vegetable, cant speak or anything...they are dying, there is a way to save their life but they will be brain dead even if you do. What do you do?

Save them to live a life as a paper weight, or make them comfortable as they die? Saving them will cost you alot of money, and you will have to take care of them until they do die. The alternative may still cost you but not as much and you can know that they are at peace.

Abortion used as birth control is wrong...but, if the child will live a life of neglect or abuse then I am for it. Lets face it some people should not be parents.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Hey you asked I answered. Plus I am not prejeduce to people who read the bible. You can read it all you want, take from it what you want.But keep it to yourself.

hypothetical question: If you where in the military and you where in Iraq, a child is running at you with a gun or grenade, he is running right towards you and your company or a group of people...what do you do?

Assume the child wont hurt you or shoot the child so that it doesnt have the chance to hurt you?

Another one: An elderly man or woman is in the hospital, they are a vegetable, cant speak or anything...they are dying, there is a way to save their life but they will be brain dead even if you do. What do you do?

Save them to live a life as a paper weight, or make them comfortable as they die? Saving them will cost you alot of money, and you will have to take care of them until they do die. The alternative may still cost you but not as much and you can know that they are at peace.

Abortion used as birth control is wrong...but, if the child will live a life of neglect or abuse then I am for it. Lets face it some people should not be parents.
Your words showed how you felt about religious people. You chose not to keep those words to yourself, so i certainly do not need to keep them to myself.

Hypothiticasl on Iraq do not fit into a abortion thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies