Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
It seems funny to me that people can't just agree to disagree on this one...lol. Neither party will ever change the others mind! I do want to add that are we not currently engaged in a war where we are killing thousands of innocent humans? Yet we justify this because it's in our best interest. If my daughter came home at 15 pregnant, yes I would make her have an abortion. One moment of stupidity shouldn't force her to suffer the burden of raising an unwanted child. Abstience doesn't work, didn't for me and I bet it didn't for you and it won't for our childern. When you start making exceptions to an absolute then your lines become blurred( except for the health of the mother) what about rape? what about disablity? If in some cases it's just then didn't we just allow that in our own minds to make us feel better? If you make abortion illegal will it stop it? NO! Where there is a will there is a way! I say we all just mind our own business, let the government mind their own business and let me worry about what I do to my body!
Sometimes we do have to agree to disagree. The government has no business to authorize you to murder.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 AM

306 posts, read 475,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
And I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I see nothing wrong with a woman wanting to rid her body of an unwanted life.

How about a women wanting to rid her house, or budget of an unwanted child via murder?

There is not enough differences between these two situations to allow abortion. Since the life is in the women murder is okay all of a sudden?

Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
It seems funny to me that people can't just agree to disagree on this one...lol. Neither party will ever change the others mind! I do want to add that are we not currently engaged in a war where we are killing thousands of innocent humans? Yet we justify this because it's in our best interest. If my daughter came home at 15 pregnant, yes I would make her have an abortion. One moment of stupidity shouldn't force her to suffer the burden of raising an unwanted child. Abstience doesn't work, didn't for me and I bet it didn't for you and it won't for our childern. When you start making exceptions to an absolute then your lines become blurred( except for the health of the mother) what about rape? what about disablity? If in some cases it's just, then didn't we just allow that in our own minds to make us feel better? If you make abortion illegal will it stop it? NO! Where there is a will there is a way! I say we all just mind our own business, let the government mind their own business and let me worry about what I do to my body!
This is an excellent post.

I don't understand "pro-lifers" who say abortion is OK under some circumstances. Isn't a fetus conceived by rape or incest just as much a "life" as one conceived by a one night stand? How can one abortion be justified and the other "murder"? IMO, the aforementioned pro-lifers are actually pro-choice - they just want to be in charge of who gets to make the choice.

I am pro-choice with two children.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
How about a women wanting to rid her house, or budget of an unwanted child via murder?

There is not enough differences between these two situations to allow abortion. Since the life is in the women murder is okay all of a sudden?
An embryo/fetus is not tantamount to a walking around child. Your argument is specious.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Abortion should be illegal not because of religious reasons, but because we are talking about human beings. The government should protect the voiceless and that includes an unborn child. I do believe in contraception.

Which at times does, despite best efforts, fail. Is the woman supposed to still pop out the kid against her will?

Old 05-25-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
An embryo/fetus is not tantamount to a walking around child. Your argument is specious.
Well a "walking around child" is not tantamount to a man doing advanced calculus, or driving a car. Are you less of a human if you are less developed?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:44 PM

I think the best thing to do is ask yourself if they wish, or would be fine if they were aborted. I'm sure most would say no.
"Pro Choice" is a misleading name. The life that is being terminated sure does not get to choose.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Well a "walking around child" is not tantamount to a man doing advanced calculus, or driving a car. Are you less of a human if you are less developed?
A walking around child and a full grown man share the characteristic of being able to perform basic life functions without being tethered to another human being - in that aspect, they are both fully developed humans.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A walking around child and a full grown man share the characteristic of being able to perform basic life functions without being tethered to another human being - in that aspect, they are both fully developed humans.
So, since the fetus is not a "fully grown human" then its okay to murder it all of a sudden?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
So, since the fetus is not a "fully grown human" then its okay to murder it all of a sudden?
You believe that an embryo/fetus is the equivalent of a fully formed, functioning human being and equate abortion with murder. I don't. You, and those who believe as you do, have the choice to never have an abortion. Accordingly, I, and those who believe as I do, have the choice to consider abortion as an alternative to an unwanted pregnancy.

I suggest you MYOB and I will do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies