Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,935,922 times

Advertisements

Torturing is what Jesus would do.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM

145 posts, read 302,436 times
I am stunned that Republicans are actually allowing their little minds to be manipulated so easily. You people are supposed to be all "LAND OF THE FREE HOME OF THE BRAVE", "AMERICA!! FU&K YEAH" etc. You know, the 'light on the hill' theory of this country. Now, we're just Saddam in Iraq all over again, and you people are lapping it up like the little easily manipulated peasants you are.

Oh well. It is going to get much worse. Waterboarding is one of the most kind things we were up to over there.

Quote:
But get ready. It is going to get much worse. The graphic videos and photographs that have so far been shown only to Congress are, I have been persuaded by someone who has seen them, not likely to remain secret for very long. And, if you wonder why formerly gung-ho rightist congressmen like James Inhofe ("I'm outraged more by the outrage") have gone so quiet, it is because they have seen the stuff and you have not. There will probably be a slight difficulty about showing these scenes in prime time, but they will emerge, never fear. We may have to start using blunt words like murder and rape to describe what we see. And one linguistic reform is in any case already much overdue. The silly word "abuse" will have to be dropped. No law or treaty forbids "abuse," but many conventions and statutes, including our own and the ones we have urged other nations to sign, do punish torture—which is what we are talking about here at a bare minimum.
Prepare for the worst of Abu Ghraib. - By Christopher Hitchens - Slate Magazine

Murder and rape. America, fu&k yeah!

Oh, right. But this is about Pelosi.

'Prisoner abuse' photographs surface as Barack Obama prepares to block publication - Telegraph

The reputation of the United States is miserably low, and we deserve it. We talk all this smack about liberty, freedom etc. But we act like the worst of their world dictatorships.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 AM

355 posts, read 447,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Not everyone follows the Bible, and Leveticus is no longer relevant to Christians outside of an old fable.

That being said, torturing terrorists makes us just as bad as them. You cannot take a moral high ground while doing the same thing we're accusing them of. Maybe not as bad, but the actions itself just fuels more terrorism.
Those that do not follow the Bible are doomed to an eternal life in the hands of Satan. Then they will really find out what torture is!

Your second paragraph is completely incorrect. We used interrogation techniques on the detained terrorists and we have never been attacked since September 11. Therefore it is unrealistic to proclaim that any of our actions fueled more terrorism.

George W. Bush, while not the best leader in all aspects, is to be commended and honored for beefing up our military forces and being strong on terrorism. The waterboarding and other so-called torturous methods were mild but they worked.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendthrift View Post
The next time a pissed off muslim blows up a bunch of American citizens, OP, don't even think the words "they hate us for our freedom". Ok? Do. You. Understand?

They hate us for our actions.
But there was no waterboarding before 9/11. Thus, the notion that this large, transnational terrorist organization is all a reaction to something that postdates them anyway is incorrect.

Do they hate us for our freedom? Well, I cannot imagine they are big admirers of transparency, freedom of speech, proper courts of law, affirmative action, gender equality, gay marriage, a free press, public education, and all the other characteristics of a free society.

Of course it goes deeper than that. Their reasoning, if one could call it that, is described in their writings and videos, which are available on the internet. I read through them once and do not recall any mention of waterboarding, US imperialism in Central America, Israel(that came later), or any of the other faux answers to the hackneyed why do the hate us question.

Not necessarily a plug for torture. Just something to ponder the next time you imply that its ok for Al Qaeda to destroy innocent lives.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with torturing terrorists?
We tortured quite a few innocents.

Quote:
The majority of terrorists are rag-headed Islamics who despise the United States of America and everything we stand for.
What do we stand for? Torture?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Yikes...... Why are you so frightened? Why do you prefer revenge over justice? Do you want to be a torturer? These people are not military, they are civilian criminals, but they are not to be tortured or be subject to revenge. "Revenge is mine, sayeth the Lord." Believe him.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,935,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Those that do not follow the Bible are doomed to an eternal life in the hands of Satan. Then they will really find out what torture is!

Your second paragraph is completely incorrect. We used interrogation techniques on the detained terrorists and we have never been attacked since September 11. Therefore it is unrealistic to proclaim that any of our actions fueled more terrorism.

George W. Bush, while not the best leader in all aspects, is to be commended and honored for beefing up our military forces and being strong on terrorism. The waterboarding and other so-called torturous methods were mild but they worked.
Thanks for the sermon cheech.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
But there was no waterboarding before 9/11. Thus, the notion that this large, transnational terrorist organization is all a reaction to something that postdates them anyway is incorrect.

Do they hate us for our freedom? Well, I cannot imagine they are big admirers of transparency, freedom of speech, proper courts of law, affirmative action, gender equality, gay marriage, a free press, public education, and all the other characteristics of a free society.

Of course it goes deeper than that. Their reasoning, if one could call it that, is described in their writings and videos, which are available on the internet. I read through them once and do not recall any mention of waterboarding, US imperialism in Central America, Israel(that came later), or any of the other faux answers to the hackneyed why do the hate us question.

Not necessarily a plug for torture. Just something to ponder the next time you imply that its ok for Al Qaeda to destroy innocent lives.
Is that what I implied?

Sorry, why do you think 9/11 happened? Be specific.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:22 AM

355 posts, read 447,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Now Yikes, see, you've assumed wrong yet again. Apparently all your delightful & christian posts that were dripping w/judgment & anger towards me & others have blinded you towards your own hypocrisy.
How is it hypocritical?

I correctly quoted the Biblical scriptures that promote retaliation. You are a self-claimed atheist; so therefore you are the one that is blinded. You walk in darkness and will never be saved if you continue on the wrong path.

May you and the Lord someday, somehow, find each other.

God bless you.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I have met my God and we get along just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies