Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendthrift View Post
I'll help you.

We invaded Iraq and then stuck around in Saudi. This pissed off muslims, who attacked us several times. 9/11 was the largest of the attacks.

Had we left Saudi, no 9/11. Just like when the next attack comes, and it is invariably a response to yet another absurd foreign policy adventure of this country.
And I shall help you.

We and many others including UK, France, Syria, Canada, and Egypt evicted Iraqi forces after they invaded Kuwait (did you think you could leave that one out?). All with the blessing of the hallowed United Nations.

We then left Iraq and were invited by the Saudis to post garrisons on their soil so as to protect them from Iraq. Like all stationing of troops, this was governed by a Status of Forces Agreement, giving the Saudis full freedom to evict us whenever they liked. Yes, this was not liked by Al Qaeda and they have used it as a pretext.

But since when was Al Qaeda granted a veto over our policy? In my lifetime, I have not liked how the English behaved in Ulster, how the French have behaved all over the place or how the Israelis have conducted affairs. Would it be justified I were to gather up like-minded people and start butchering innocents from those nations?

In short, you are saying that an unsavory but legal agreement between two nations justifies a third party's slaughter of innocents.

I reckon you are a very warm hearted and humanitarian minded fella.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 AM

145 posts, read 302,350 times
Quote:
In short, you are saying that an unsavory but legal agreement between two nations justifies a third party's slaughter of innocents.
Is that my position?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:04 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
Psalms 1:1-6
Hello???? McFly!!!! Isn't it beyond interesting that you willfully choose not to answer questions or engage in discussions when people specifically are talking to you? Spiteful & so unchristian like. You DO know that your little posts w/bible gobbledygook have absolutely no affect on me, right?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 AM

355 posts, read 447,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why did you pick those scriptures?

Aren't there scriptures that counsel you to turn the other cheek? To be merciful and just. And is retaliation necessarily torture? Torture isn't committed against an equal. Torture is done to persons who are at your mercy. However much they might hate you, they are at your mercy. They are stripped of their defenses and you inflict upon this defenseless person pain and suffering. You deliberately hurt another person who cannot stop you. And hurt them again and again, even while they plead with you to stop.

If you can do this, then truly, I hope that someday may the Lord find you.
Those scriptures clearly promote retaliation in certain cases. Our present-day laws are built upon those Bible passages. That is why we have capital punishment for murderers. That is why we torture anti-American radicals that have plotted or taken part in terrorist attacks against our country.

Why are you so sympathetic to terrorists that have received these techniques, which are mild compared to what they have put some of our soldiers through? Why don't you become a Middle Eastern diplomat by attempting to reason with them verbally, and see how far you would get?

Try negotiating with those militant terrorists and you will be carrying your head in your hands.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
There are some Christians that are so un-Christian in the name of Christianity it is scary. It is similar to the Islamic extremist.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Hello???? McFly!!!! Isn't it beyond interesting that you willfully choose not to answer questions or engage in discussions when people specifically are talking to you? Spiteful & so unchristian like. You DO know that your little posts w/bible gobbledygook have absolutely no affect on me, right?
I love when Christians can't argue any longer, so they just resort to cutting and pasting passages from the bible. Its like thinking is too hard, just be programmed by the bible, and it is all gravy.

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Those scriptures clearly promote retaliation in certain cases. Our present-day laws are built upon those Bible passages. That is why we have capital punishment for murderers. That is why we torture anti-American radicals that have plotted or taken part in terrorist attacks against our country.

Why are you so sympathetic to terrorists that have received these techniques, which are mild compared to what they have put some of our soldiers through? Why don't you become a Middle Eastern diplomat by attempting to reason with them verbally, and see how far you would get?

Try negotiating with those militant terrorists and you will be carrying your head in your hands.
Except torture has been proven to be ineffective.

I'm not "sympathetic" to terrorists, I just think that torture is not the way to go about things, especially when trying to take a moral high ground. If we torture terrorists, we are no better than them.

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendthrift View Post
Is that my position?

"We invaded Iraq and then stuck around in Saudi. This pissed off muslims, who attacked us several times. 9/11 was the largest of the attacks."

I reckon the answer to your question is yes.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM

355 posts, read 447,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
Psalms 8:1-9

Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 AM

145 posts, read 302,350 times
So, you see in that "justification"? Be detailed in your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies