Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
No, it would not. Going back to a simple majority would mean more spending and thus more taxes. That would mean that even more of the wealthy would vote with their feet and leave the state, which would equal less revenue to pay for these programs. We'd still be going bankrupt, but for different reasons. Don't get me wrong, California is an amazing place to live, but if the Democrats were given a blank check to run the state as they saw fit, taxes would be far higher than they are now, and at some point, even the stunning beauty of California wouldn't be enough to keep the richest here. The only way we can fix our current problems is to spend less money. We can't just throw big government at every problem that comes our way.
Yeah, because the current setup has been working so well with regards to taxation and spending. Starve the beast DOES NOT WORK. It has never worked at any level of government. If people were getting taxed accordingly they would be more willing to give up on spending initiatives since they would actually know how much it's costing them.

Also politicians don't like jacking up taxes. You don't need a 2/3rds majority to block it since it's politically unpopular anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:48 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It appears to me that this is the first move in a political game of chicken.
Yeah you got that right. Typical government scare tactics to get funding. He wants bailout money and needs to be turned down and California make cuts in areas that it can.
//www.city-data.com/forum/educa...ed-states.html
CA teachers, I HAVE TO ADMIT ARE THE HIGHEST PAID IN THE USA NOW. CA Teachers are maxing out in my district at $91,000 (some districts with their budget cuts have even higher max out scales), and when you factor in the cost of living in CA, we make 17% higher than the national average. I think the average CA teacher salary is $64,000. SO I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT MY SALARY WHAT SO EVER. What is the average teacher salary in your state?

The above is from the link and provides some interesting questions.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
One would hope this catches on. Taking care of its members is the job of the church. Government is not in the charity business.
So who takes care of the poor atheists and agnostics? Or Christians who choose not to belong to a church?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:52 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So who takes care of the poor atheists and agnostics? Or Christians who choose not to belong to a church?
I never thought we'd agree on something, but we do on this.

I have huge concerns with that idea.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Churches aren't the only groups who exist that can take care of their members. I suspect this kind of thing would create more "communities within communities".

Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Churches aren't the only groups who exist that can take care of their members. I suspect this kind of thing would create more "communities within communities".
Or increase the amount spent on police.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Or increase the amount spent on police.
Or increase church membership for all the wrong reasns.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If someone is not able to support themselvse or have other people voluntarily support them then they die. If they turn to crime they will be sent to a privately owned prison that will use them productivily. Survivial of the fittest.

Furthermore, packing the churches is a great idea. Imagine all of the social ills we could cure if people dependent on welfare became zealous Calvinists.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
If someone is not able to support themselvse or have other people voluntarily support them then they die. If they turn to crime they will be sent to a privately owned prison that will use them productivily. Survivial of the fittest.

Furthermore, packing the churches is a great idea. Imagine all of the social ills we could cure if people dependent on welfare became zealous Calvinists.
At last, the dream of being almost completely run by corporations will be realized.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
To each according to his own abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies