Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,936,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I can just imagine if that is the approach MLK would have taken.
Meaning what, exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:45 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,959,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Meaning what, exactly?
Actually, I see your point to be honest.. many people may not be ready for it, but I just think if you are on the disadvantaged side of things and you are fighting to be treated as an equal - sitting on the sidelines and waiting for people to turn a new leaf - we could wait a millenia. I think it was people like MLK, Rosa Parks and Malcolm X who were more in your face and constantly reminded ppl of the injustice that made inroads.

I think for a moderate you could be right, but you have to take into account what your gay folk in the U.S are up against and that is a right machine that thinks they are inferior deviants. It's hard to stay quiet! Its hard when you can't enjoy what others enjoy - in the pursuit of happiness.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I can just imagine if that is the approach MLK would have taken.
MLK never did make his views on homosexuality public. You won't ever know how he felt about the issue. But the views of a close relative were made known about a decade ago:

Staff Writer ©Copyright 1998 Guy Gannett Communications

AUGUSTA - A niece of Martin Luther King Jr. got about 300 people down on their knees in the state capitol Thursday to pray that homosexuals would "turn from their wicked ways" and seek Jesus Christ.

"God hates racism and God hates homosexuality," Alveda King told the group in a speech after leading them in prayer.

King tours the country speaking out against civil-rights legislation for gay men and lesbians. She was in Maine to speak about next Tuesday's referendum on the state's new law.

The ballot question will ask voters whether they want to repeal the law passed by the Legislature last spring to prohibit discrimination against gay people.
King, who says gay people have never suffered the discrimination that black Americans have, was the featured speaker for what became the biggest event to date for the "vote-yes" campaign.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I think for a moderate you could be right, but you have to take into account what your gay folk in the U.S are up against and that is a right machine that thinks they are inferior deviants. It's hard to stay quiet! Its hard when you can't enjoy what others enjoy - in the pursuit of happiness.
I am not a moderate.

While I don't think that gays are inferior deviants, I don't believe they are being held back from enjoying anything.

Much like President Obama, I simply believe that marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 PM

218 posts, read 469,140 times
Default Equal rights

ANYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SCREW UP THEIR LIFE! I just don't see how this effects my life. But in order for the straight to accept the gay view they need to accept ours. It turns me against the gay marriage when they attack people who don't agree with them. As they want their voices to be heard but turn a deaf ear to everyone who has a different opinion.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I am not a moderate.

While I don't think that gays are inferior deviants, I don't believe they are being held back from enjoying anything.

Much like President Obama, I simply believe that marriage is a union between a man and a woman.
I wasn't saying you were a moderate. I meant in general. I have no doubt the validity of your quotes. People are selective to reach their own goals. Like you and like President Obama - i think that this view is demeaning to me and my Bf whom i love. I don't know if you love someone, but having that option to marry someone taken away from you- that hurts - it is not equality. It is saying that my love isn't worth your love.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
ANYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SCREW UP THEIR LIFE! I just don't see how this effects my life. But in order for the straight to accept the gay view they need to accept ours. It turns me against the gay marriage when they attack people who don't agree with them. As they want their voices to be heard but turn a deaf ear to everyone who has a different opinion.
That's very fair.

Part of the resistance gay people might be experiencing is that they're just not being very flexible in their own debate.

They want you to listen to them, listen to them, listen to them, and listen to them.

Then someone with a difference of opinion wants to be heard, and their general response is "Why should we listen to you?"

Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you love someone, but having that option to marry someone taken away from you- that hurts - it is not equality. It is saying that my love isn't worth your love.
That's just it, though.

That option was never taken away from you.

You never had the option.

I know it's semantics, and also take note that I'm not flaming you when I say it. I'm just going to try and point something out.

Most of the resistance here probably would never come your way if many of the threads played out differently. People can and will think what they want to think, but maybe conservatives on this site get tired of being called "wackos", "nazis", "bigots", "idiots", etc... when the liberal people who have led this country have done nothing more to help you than any of the conservatives have.

Is that a fair statement? Could at least some of the resistance on this forum be due to the fact that people are just tired of being called out for the same things that NOBODY ever addressed for you before when they had the chance?

I'm not directing this at you because you are being respectful to me and I will do the same for you. But I would bet if some of the people here took a different approach, they might get a different response. Remember, what you want was not taken away from you by the people on this forum who disagree. It was never there for you in the first place. Conservatives on this forum do have to take a lot of the punishment for something that virtually everyone has kept from you through the years.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It was never there for you in the first place.
First off I appreciate your civility and as such will respect you. It is absolutely impossible for people to agree on everything, but it is possible for their to be mutual respect and universal civility.

Many rights didn't exist before that exist now. Racial rights womens rights etc.. So just because a group didn't have these rights shouldn't mean they shouldn't get these rights. My argument for same-sex marriage boils down to something very simple. I know that i can't love a person of the opposite sex. It is not fair to me nor to the woman. Having said that, I know i love my boyfriend. I understand that feeling is strong and it is love. Many of my fellow gays love their significant others and with all due respect - heterosexuals don't have ownership of love. When a society deems our union less valid - it is saying your love - isn't worth thier love.

To me my friend - it is simple as that.

Oh and one more thing.. as for some people acting it up in here - its not just a gay thing or a right wing thing or this thing and that thing - ppl in here are looking for some s**ts and giggles

Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Many rights didn't exist before that exist now. Racial rights womens rights etc.. So just because a group didn't have these rights shouldn't mean they shouldn't get these rights.
True, and keep in mind that what I was pointing out is that one group of the people around here are getting all of the blame. That's the only reason why I mentioned that the right never existed for you before. Because if you've been held down, it hasn't just been by the conservatives (such as those on this forum who get slammed for it thread after thread.) If you've been held down, you've been held down by everyone.

Quote:
My argument for same-sex marriage boils down to something very simple. I know that i can't love a person of the opposite sex. It is not fair to me nor to the woman. Having said that, I know i love my boyfriend. I understand that feeling is strong and it is love. Many of my fellow gays love their significant others and with all due respect - heterosexuals don't have ownership of love. When a society deems our union less valid - it is saying your love - isn't worth thier love.

To me my friend - it is simple as that.

Oh and one more thing.. as for some people acting it up in here - its not just a gay thing or a right wing thing or this thing and that thing - ppl in here are looking for some s**ts and giggles
These are very fair points. Like I said earlier in this thread, and in some other threads, I might not agree with everything you say; but I respect and support your right to go out and be heard. I do feel that sometimes the issue does get watered down here with so many threads. But looking at the big picture, you have a right to be heard, and even if I don't agree with you, I will never try to take away that right.

Here in NYC, we have Union Square. It was always meant to be a place where people who have a collective voice could assemble peacefully and be heard. I will always support that, and whether or not I agree with the cause is irrelevant. But I have to wonder why it's just a farmers' market and mini-art gallery most of the time these days. People might just be getting too comfortable with the various message boards all over the Net these days, but nobody ever got anything changed on one.

Last edited by BringTheContent; 05-28-2009 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies