Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I will bet there will be cases of these kids getting fired because they were caught stealing from the entity they worked for.
I have an awful feeling you didnt dare say "I will hope".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
relabeling is so easy--- the budding loser program is now the job stimulus program.
its like New orleans , suddenly 4th generation hardened gangbangers that refuse to work were
relabeled karina hurricane refugees
signed
a former new orleans resident

Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
By allowing tax credits for charitable donations is just a way to allow the wealthier individuals to direct their tax money into something they support. This avoids going through the legislative process. The donations they give are just taxes they do not pay but have control over so "their" money is not being used to support things they do not like.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
That's only one criterion.

You seem to have left off the part about being in the court system? Pregnant? Ran away? Bad grades?

I can understand helping out the homeless or runaways. But why reward bad grades? Why reward criminals?
So they should be denied opportunity because they had lousy parents?

You still haven't explained how these jobs will mean less jobs for other kids...aren't they additional jobs that wouldn't be there otherwise?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
One of the programs for teens in Massachusetts is cleaning schoolyards and graveyards. Picking up trash and light landscaping. A friend of mine is a foster parent to two young women that will be participating this summer. It keeps them busy, safe and gives them a bit of pride to earn money of their own.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Can you explain how? The way I read it, the jobs created will be additional jobs that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Well if that's the case then I was wrong. But I still dont the govt should give preference for jobs to people that have been convicted or something or who have bad grades.

I can see the homeless part being good, and the runaways (in some cases) and well as the people with no skills...but why bail out kids who dont want to study? Who would rather skip school and get in trouble or get pregnant than the kids trying to do good?

If they would eliminate the underlined parts from this package I would be all for it.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Sometimes it happens exactly that way. I've seen it. I've seen a 3rd generation gang member who was almost out of chances turn completely around because some adults at the place he got a dishwashing job treated him like he was worth something. He's a lawyer now.

Im not saying it wont. And I'm sure a few will turn things around. But who's to say some of the kids doing the right thing that cant get one of these jobs (because they dont "qualify"), and end up not being able to find a job at all, wont end up selling drugs or stealing stuff?

It can go both ways.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Well if that's the case then I was wrong. But I still dont the govt should give preference for jobs to people that have been convicted or something or who have bad grades.

I can see the homeless part being good, and the runaways (in some cases) and well as the people with no skills...but why bail out kids who dont want to study? Who would rather skip school and get in trouble or get pregnant than the kids trying to do good?

If they would eliminate the underlined parts from this package I would be all for it.

Sometimes it really isn't a matter of "not wanting to study". Sometimes they have no place to study, no stable homelife that's conducive to "trying to do good".

Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:

You want to keep paying welfare taxes, do you? Why do you begrudge these people a job and an opportunity to move up?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
So they should be denied opportunity because they had lousy parents?

You still haven't explained how these jobs will mean less jobs for other kids...aren't they additional jobs that wouldn't be there otherwise?

Why do you assume it was bad parents?

Oh...cause it couldnt possbily be the kids' fault?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies