Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times

Advertisements

All you liberuls with your fancy book lernin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Maybe the right should embrace learning, which is a lifelong thing, instead of belittling and mocking it the way they do things they fear.

But so much evidence indicates that the RNC and the R powers-that-be ENCOURAGE the Base to stay in the dark, to not question, to not explore other points of view, to not debate, to stay closed and small-minded, to see other people and groups as the simplest of cartoons, to stay afraid, to develop their resentments and prejudices.

That's condemning their followers to death.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
why would i mock a welder that makes 25 an hour is debt free and does not have a 120,000 dollar school loan and does not work pte at mcdonalds.
signed
college boy

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why would i mock a welder that makes 25 an hour is debt free and does not have a 120,000 dollar school loan and does not work pte at mcdonalds.
signed
college boy
Well a false assumption is that everyone with a College Diploma/degree works at McD's - most do not and more often than not, a College/Associate's degree is a necessity for most higher paying jobs.

Even Welder's have to go through several years of apprenticeship and training - it's much more involving than just becoming a welder next week after quiting your Liberal arts undergrad because you have the revelation you will be working at McD's!!

I think it all boils down to interest! What are your interests and inclination - what colour is your balloon type of thing... Are you an Ideas person a people person or a things person. It is about finding what is right for YOU - not judging the superiority of one vocation over another. I'm far happier in my job that pays me to think as opposed to work with my hands but that is me - I appreciate our Trades People and their dedication and hard work.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
There is a difference between "training" and "education." Training is what you need to do a job correctly and make a living. Education is what you need to need to appreciate life and understand its complexities. Do you neccesarily need a college degree to be educated? No, you don't. But you do need an inquisitive mind and the desire to learn. Back in the "olden days" when people went to university it was said that they went to "read English", "read law", etc. etc. That is because the main thing they did was READ the material that formed the basis for their desired education. And that is what you need to do....whether in college or in your personal life....you need to READ. Find an area of interest and read, read, read about it. Read many points of view, research the basis on which those views were formulated, and critically think about what you are learning. Engage yourself with others who are interested in those topics and discuss them with an open mind. It isn't the lack of a college degree that is mocked. It is the lack of insightful thinking, well developed judgement, and the lack of understanding of the world in which we live. The lack of those things doesn't show a lack of a degree but a lack of education.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
There is a difference between "training" and "education." Training is what you need to do a job correctly and make a living. Education is what you need to need to appreciate life and understand its complexities. .
Don't get me wrong - I appreciated your post, but many get an education in order to properly train for a job.. Doctors and Engineers train by getting multiple degree in their fields - is this not an education?

Last edited by mississauga75; 06-05-2009 at 01:15 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
There is a difference between "training" and "education." Training is what you need to do a job correctly and make a living. Education is what you need to need to appreciate life and understand its complexities. Do you neccesarily need a college degree to be educated? No, you don't. But you do need an inquisitive mind and the desire to learn. Back in the "olden days" when people went to university it was said that they went to "read English", "read law", etc. etc. That is because the main thing they did was READ the material that formed the basis for their desired education. And that is what you need to do....whether in college or in your personal life....you need to READ. Find an area of interest and read, read, read about it. Read many points of view, research the basis on which those views were formulated, and critically think about what you are learning. Engage yourself with others who are interested in those topics and discuss them with an open mind. It isn't the lack of a college degree that is mocked. It is the lack of insightful thinking, well developed judgement, and the lack of understanding of the world in which we live. The lack of those things doesn't show a lack of a degree but a lack of education.

Bravo! You nailed it, LML! And read sources that you don't believe that you
will agree with...I read Krauthammer, Will, Hitchens, etc. and have learned
from them all, even when I disagree (which is often!). Easily the best post
in the thread...kudos for putting it so clearly!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post

Meh Liberal Arts Snobs

keep reading your books while I make sure your plane doesn't crash into something

Old 06-05-2009, 03:46 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,791 times
Companies used to test job applicants in order to determine their ability and intelligence. IQ is the single most accurate predictor of success in life including on the job.

However, back in the 1970s it was decided that such tests had a 'disparate impact' on Black folks who did not do well on them. It became so difficult to administer tests for IQ and ability they were eliminated from the employment process. This left employers with only SAT scores and college achievement as evidence of intelligence and ability.

Employers do not hire college grads for anything they may have learned in college. They hire college grads because they have proven that they have the ability and intelligence to learn what the employer has to teach them.

So to the people who say that a college degree is a way to get your foot in the door, you are correct. That's exactly what it is.

- Reel

Old 06-05-2009, 04:08 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post

I concur on LML's post, and you provide the perfect followup.

No one ever learns a whole lot from only surrounding themselves with others who share their viewpoint. The yin and yang of opposing thoughts is absolutely essential for education to take place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies