Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times

Advertisements

there are interesting posts here, but there is another point to be made. there is no point in spending all of the money necessary to get a college education if you then outsource the jobs. there will always be educated people around the world willing to work for less money because their standard of living is lower.
i am glad to see that some politicians are addressing the H1B visa program, even though it is not a big enough step. not only that, i disagree with obama's entire policy on H1B visas as he is stating that there are not enough "educated americans" to fill all the positions and i disagree with that vehemently. i state that it is more an issue that he is being led by corporations who wish to hire cheaper labor.
Barack Obama on H1B and Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 04:45 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
^ "Standard of living" or "Cost of living"?

There is a difference.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
i would suggest that those countries have both a lower cost of living and a lower standard of living.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would suggest that those countries have both a lower cost of living and a lower standard of living.
Possibly, but in a country where the average family lives on $500 a year or less someone with a couple of thousand to blow annually can live pretty well.

Not specific, BTW. Just an example. I heard the other day about what engineers and nurses are being paid in Dubai, which was four to five times what they can make in the U.S. That doesn't necessarily mean that the standard of living in Dubai is four to five times better than the U.S., only that it costs more there to cover the same lifestyle. Same distinction between an engineer in NYC or Jackson, Mississippi.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:06 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonrise
I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.

Anyway, here's an interesting read, regarding college and successful CEO's:

CEOs-Without-College-Degrees: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
One of my best friends has no college degree, and we have some of the best "book smart" conversations out of all my friends. On the other hand, I've met lots of morons in my classes and wondered "How the hell did they get in here?"

What I resent is when people like Rush and Hannity belittle those with college degrees as if we haven't achieved anything. (Like Michelle Obama going from the South Side to Princeton, or Barack going to Columbia and Harvard with his background) College is tough. It exercises the mind the way other trades excercise the body, and graduating college is a worthy achievement--especially if you come from a less than nice background.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonrise
College is a scam for the most part, in my opinion. You pay a ton of money for a degree then get a job that pays less then the first year of your tuition. Bachelors degrees are worthless now a days. Unless you have a masters or doctorate, you're better off working right out of high school, unless you're on a scholly.
That is a gross exaggeration. My first year tuition was between 5k and 6k and I'll be making much more than that. And while the value of a Bachelor's has gone down from forty years ago, they're far from worthless. I couldn't have gotten a good teaching job if I hadn't gone to college. (nor should I have) A college degree is well worth it (except in Michigan )

Nothing wrong with not going to college, but there's nothing wrong with going to college either.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.

Anyway, here's an interesting read, regarding college and successful CEO's:

CEOs-Without-College-Degrees: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Is this paradigm something you thought-up while out cutting the grass?

Got any data to back it up?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
what's interesting is that none of you right wingers has yet talked as if you're interested in learning for the pleasure of it, or because you'd like to explore a subject or learn different ways to understand the world around you.

You dont have to go to college to get a college education.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Even more ironic is that "leftist" have been the single most stalwart supporters of the working classes in general and union members in particular, few of whom, outside of teachers unions, are college graduates.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
actually what's REALLY interesting is that you're DIScouraged from learning by your own right-wing Base culture. College is presented as an avenue to acquiring more money (and hence more debt, you good little sheepy-cogs) later in life, nothing more. This might be the dumbed-down, trickled-down, lowest-common-denominator remains of the surge for MBAs in the 70s and 80s.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Out of all of those unemployed today, I wonder how many have college degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies