Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times

Advertisements

Sonrise, dont believe what you're told...dont believe that education is the province of stuck-up elitists.

Or that a diploma, or even classes, only mean a leg up in the rat race.

Doesnt it creep you out a little, all the scorn that Rush and the rest heap upon education and educated people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM

5 posts, read 20,570 times
There are some people who did not go to college or had an education and became rich, however, do not be fooled into this thinking.

A majority of the world who do not attend a university have a greater chance of being in poverty and unemployed.

These CEOs created companies, but how many people do you think failed at this attempt? Its is luck, experience, and skill where they ended up, but believe me any celebrity that lost their fortune would be working at miniumn wage because they would have no experience or a degree.

Only a few make it to the top without a degree, however, a majority at the top have an education.

No Jobs Without College as Employers Treat Degree as a Minimum - US News and World Report

Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmon1 View Post
A majority of the world who do not attend a university have a greater chance of being in poverty and unemployed.
Or some college grads are making speeches using a teleprompter and not being able to think without one.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:46 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
I dropped out of pre-med when the Dean of the school told the class in no uncertain terms that the ONLY source of carbon was pre-living things.

I winced. I don't have a poker face. I suffer from candid Tourette's syndrome.

Then he looked over everyone in the class straight at me in the back row and said, "anyone here who thinks otherwise should leave NOW!

It was a Catholic college.

I guess I just wasn't catholic enough to BELIEVE.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Out of all of those unemployed today, I wonder how many have college degrees.
Someone did respond to this, but I want to add: I saw some recent stats, and they basically showed that college grads have a much lower rate of unemployment than non-grads.

I was just having this conversation about college today with my DD. In my personal experience (nursing), many (note qualifier, please) people w/o degrees mock the ones with degrees. I always saw this as a sign of insecurity.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,618,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.

Anyway, here's an interesting read, regarding college and successful CEO's:

CEOs-Without-College-Degrees: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
The entire premise of this thread is pretty dumb...

It just displays a bigotry towards 'the left'...

People on both sides of the spectrum think a college education is very important... only a small minority of bigots look down on those without one.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
I am a bit sad and a bit frustrated to find that so many equate education almost solely with "getting ahead", getting a job, making money, etc. etc. Now don't get me wrong. Earning a living is, of course, very important. But that is what you are TRAINED to do...whether you are trained to be a doctor, a lawyer, a plumber, an auto mechanic, and accountant, or a teacher. And such training is essential and important. But the purpose of education is not to earn a buck. It is to make your life richer, more meaningful, and to make you of more value to yourself and your world. And whether you are cleaning toilets or performing brain surgery you should want to learn more....understand at a deeper level...about something other than how to make a dollar.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
You gotta be kiddin, this is trolling at it's worst, you make up stuff and then post, never giving a damn whether it is very well researched or not.

Web based discussions can be a great way to exchange ideas, and maybe one day the web will be recognized as the great political tool it really can be, until we have some real moderation from the forum's oversight types we'll be stuck in these ridiculous contests of, "are you with me on this" kind of political trolling. I respect all people's opinions, but when we get to the point of throwing out the one and two punchy lines of crap that amount to a personal insult or worse, we are really not presenting ideas, nor are we putting anything up here, but the usual keyboard kommando stuff that is so common today.

I think it is well known that the Republican party has been the bastion of some of America's richest men, these men are not coming from impoverished backgrounds, they went to some of the best schools in our country, it is in this circle of elite powerful men that the harshest words are uttered with regard to those who don't have this upper class, Ivy League, edge, they are in fact, very disdainful of those who didn't go to the "right" Harvard, or Yale, meaning "their" Fraternity.

To say that those on the left of the political spectrum, look down on those who didn't have the means to get a University education, is to show an utter lack of understanding, of what it means to be on the left, period.........BTW, the left is represented across most social, and econonmic lines, not just on TV.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
We have 5 guys on a island.

1. A carpenter with aids.
  2. A hunter with a third grade education that could catch deer with his bare hands.
  3. A mechanic with rudimentary engineering skills but only has one leg and one arm.
  4. Richard Simmons
  5. A Lawyer
The island can only support 4 people, who do you suppose gets voted off first?

----------------------------

A higher education does not make you smart, it can enhance your knowledge and extend your boundaries but that's the extent of it. Life itself is an education. The primary determination of whether you're going to be a success depends on the individual. Those that fail without an education most likely will fail with one, that's a two way street as people that are successful with an education most likely would have succeeded without one.

Having said that there is no reason not to go onto higher education if you can but don't resign yourself to failure if you can't get one.

One thing you do want to avoid is being a lawyer stuck on a island where three guys with life skills are deciding to boot you or Richard Simmons off.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.]
Easy answer: Bill Gates doesn't make a profession about inciting hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies