Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:43 PM

110 posts, read 474,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Did you see the poll on political affiliation, Colomonter--this is a very mixed forum (according to the numbers) and I don't think for a minute the moderator(s) of this board participates in these discussions--nor that he/she is unfair.

It is actually unfair of you to make this call without any substantiation!

Yes, I've seen the poll...I have participated in it. A little over 100 votes does not make a representative survey at this point in time IMO. I will wait for more votes, although I agree that this seems to be a very mixed forum.

I would like to see a poll on the moderaters political affiliation only, it is my belief that it would be a different story. I only say that because it seems to me that I have seen the conservative poster shot down much more often than the liberal poster. Granted, I don't have the actual statistics, so perhaps it was somewhat unfair, but I was only giving my opinion.

Nevertheless, calling an entire group of people ignorant, (which you conveniently ignored) based on that group not agreeing with a certain viewpoint should be addressed IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
I read the post you referenced. However, you took it the step farther by including moderators. I believe in actuality, we have only ONE moderator, and I can't remember a time he posted.

The other people that post here, with that title, moderator, are not moderating this forum. They are posting as members. A huge distinction.

And I too think occasionally sides are taken--but not the liberal side or the conservative side but a personal side.

People are not all equal debators and/or participants. Some of the posters are less articulate, and harder to follow. Some are jocular and are taken too seriously. Some are very informed and get their points across clearly.

We are not equal in this sense--at all! And of course, comprehension, sensitivity in both a positive a negative way, and interpretation varies reader to reader.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
The only conclusion that can logically be reached is that the Bush political policies, which are all formulated by Rove, were intended to dupe the religious right into supporting Bush, and those who believed it were naive and innocently stupid.

Still, only your opinion. Everyone who believes in GWB's political policies is naive and stupid? That statement alone makes you a liberal elitist IMO.

Anyone with a modicum of logic and common sense could have seen through any of these and dozens more. Notice, I said anyone; that is hardly an "elitist" position. All one had to do was apply common sense and logic and all the Karl Rove deceit and lies would have been apparent.
You make my point better than I ever could. "Anyone with a modicum of logic and common sense" would see things as you do. If that is not an elitist attitude I don't know what is. People like you see the world in black and white...either believe as I do or I will look at you as "ignorant", "naive", simpletons.

I won't address the other issues that you brought up as I agree with you on most all of them...I just don't judge the people who disagree with me as harshly as you do. I may think that you are a liberal elitist, but I would never call you ignorant or simple minded even if I thought it. That is my only point. It has nothing to do with Bush, Rove and company.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I read the post you referenced. However, you took it the step farther by including moderators. I believe in actuality, we have only ONE moderator, and I can't remember a time he posted.

The other people that post here, with that title, moderator, are not moderating this forum. They are posting as members. A huge distinction.

And I too think occasionally sides are taken--but not the liberal side or the conservative side but a personal side.

People are not all equal debators and/or participants. Some of the posters are less articulate, and harder to follow. Some are jocular and are taken too seriously. Some are very informed and get their points across clearly.

We are not equal in this sense--at all! And of course, comprehension, sensitivity in both a positive a negative way, and interpretation varies reader to reader.
Again you conveniently ignore the point of my entire post. Is it OK in your opinion to call an entire group of people "ignorant" because they disagree with a certain point of view?

Old 04-13-2007, 02:17 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
Somehow I am a mite confused by some of your post. I see so many comments that would inspire me to annoyance than the one you quote and I've asked people to explain themselves. I always find if I ask another question, I get more of a complete response and have a better understanding. Language is a killer.

If this post annoys you, why not just ask the poster, "are you implying elitism" or am I reading this as elitism. We got into this somewhat in another thread on Bush--about "liberal" envy. So it seems the subject of "elite" goes back and forth--!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
You make my point better than I ever could. "Anyone with a modicum of logic and common sense" would see things as you do. If that is not an elitist attitude I don't know what is. People like you see the world in black and white...either believe as I do or I will look at you as "ignorant", "naive", simpletons.

I won't address the other issues that you brought up as I agree with you on most all of them...I just don't judge the people who disagree with me as harshly as you do. I may think that you are a liberal elitist, but I would never call you ignorant or simple minded even if I thought it. That is my only point. It has nothing to do with Bush, Rove and company.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
To get back on topic, no one else is outraged or supportive of Rove?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:45 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
I don't like him, but I don't like political strategists, in general. His job is to manipulate the citizens of this country into supporting Bush's policy. That's backwards. He should be explaining the policy, not demonizing people who disagree with it.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:05 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,819 times
OK, colomonter, even though my use of the word "ignorant" is precise in this case (it means having a lack of knowledge), I'll defer to your wisdom. What do you call people who have been duped into believing something that is not true?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
To get back on topic, no one else is outraged or supportive of Rove?
I actually find it humorous that you libs get so worked up about Rove, and find him so threatening, you guys have elevated him right up their with cheney at the top of the demon list! I find him rather benign, and consider him the reason Bush has been as moderate as he has been. I wonder how you felt about james carvil and dick morris and the like when clinton was in office?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:56 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I find him rather benign...
You're kidding, right? You're not? Well, you better put me on your ignore list before I say what I think about that. Oh, wait -- you don't know how to do that, either, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies