Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truehorn View Post
Link to the protocol office or some official website that can confirm this?

I doubt that this will happen because the protocol is clear the proper form of address for the senator is "Senator Boxer." Neither a protocol office nor a commissioned officer in the military would make such a mistake.
Good God, she isn't Queen of England. This was no faux pas on the General's part (there is no requirement to show any special respect to someone who has a political title) but it sure as hell was unseemly on Boxer's part to make an issue out of Her Eminency's title, for god's sake.

Military protocol is to address others using Sir and Ma'am and I AM POSITIVE there is no "protocol" requiring ANYONE to address a Senator as "Senator." You can address them as Mr. or Mrs, for that matter. It is correct to address the President as Sir, also.

If you have ever spent time watching CSPAN over the years, Senators and Congressmen are addressed in many different ways on the floor - everything from "my esteemed colleague" to "Mrs. Brown of Indiana" etc etc.

However, in this instance, it would have been more ACCURATE to address Boxer as "you arrogant B&TCH."

She is just a public servant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 AM

24 posts, read 26,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good God, she isn't Queen of England. This was no faux pas on the General's part (there is no requirement to show any special respect to someone who has a political title) but it sure as hell was unseemly on Boxer's part to make an issue out of Her Eminency's title, for god's sake.

Military protocol is to address others using Sir and Ma'am and I AM POSITIVE there is no "protocol" requiring ANYONE to address a Senator as "Senator." You can address them as Mr. or Mrs, for that matter. It is correct to address the President as Sir, also.
It's astounding the things that people are "positive about" that turnout to be just wrong. BTW it's not a "military protocol" it's a United States government protocol, everyone is supposed to address a sitting senator as "Senator XXXX" Here's a reference to help you out. Spoken and Written Forms of Address for U.S. Government Officials, Military Personnel, Foreign Officials, Nobility, and Religious Officials

Quote:
If you have ever spent time watching CSPAN over the years, Senators and Congressmen are addressed in many different ways on the floor - everything from "my esteemed colleague" to "Mrs. Brown of Indiana" etc etc.

However, in this instance, it would have been more ACCURATE to address Boxer as "you arrogant B&TCH."

She is just a public servant.
LOL you get your protocol lessons from talk TV?

Fortunately we select generals more carefully than CD accepts posters. The general recognized his error and continued with his presentation using the correct form of address.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
It was nothing more than a display of power in an enviornment and setting which was inappropriate to make the display. If infact the senator was upset about how the general addressed her, then following the meeting, it would have at that time been appropriate to make the distinction and inform the General of his error.

To do so in a setting such as this, is both obnoxious and petty. In my opinion, her motivations were not to preserve the dignity of her position, but rather to make some kind of statement of her importance of power over the general.

Anybody with an ounce of class wouldn't have taken this position or reacted in this manner in the enviornment they were in.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Being a major politician isn't about money, or what can you do for your country. It is about pure, unadulterated power.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:19 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Being a major politician isn't about money, or what can you do for your country. It is about pure, unadulterated power.
Which is exactly why it did not matter what the General called Boxer "ma'am" or "Senator", she would have admonished him regardless.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truehorn View Post
It's astounding the things that people are "positive about" that turnout to be just wrong. BTW it's not a "military protocol" it's a United States government protocol, everyone is supposed to address a sitting senator as "Senator XXXX" Here's a reference to help you out. Spoken and Written Forms of Address for U.S. Government Officials, Military Personnel, Foreign Officials, Nobility, and Religious Officials

LOL you get your protocol lessons from talk TV?

Fortunately we select generals more carefully than CD accepts posters. The general recognized his error and continued with his presentation using the correct form of address.
Listen - protocol is just that - protocol. It is etiquette and gives guidelines. He did not commit a faux pas by referring to her as Ma'am. If he had called her what she deserved to be called, then yes, that would have been a faux pas.

I happen to teach etiquette classes. There are ideals and then there is real life . . . and referring to a Senator as Ma'am is NOT an infraction of any sort.

I really don't give a rat's ass what you think of me. You are an arrogant jerk yourself and probably work for Boxer.

ETA: I just looked at your link and you are awfully selective about how you try to prove a point.

(And I quote)

In diplomatic and other public circles, "Sir" is generally considered an acceptable alternative to the formal address in both written and spoken greetings; this does not apply to religious or titled persons. The use of "Madam" or "Ma'am" for a female addressee is less customary but still acceptable, especially for high officeholders ("Madam Governor"). This rule also holds for high officials of foreign countries.

How's this for etiquette? Kiss my arse.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Listen - protocol is just that - protocol. It is etiquette and gives guidelines. He did not commit a faux pas by referring to her as Ma'am. If he had called her what she deserved to be called, then yes, that would have been a faux pas.

I happen to teach etiquette classes. There are ideals and then there is real life . . . and referring to a Senator as Ma'am is NOT an infraction of any sort.

I really don't give a rat's ass what you think of me. You are an arrogant jerk yourself and probably work for Boxer.

ETA: I just looked at your link and you are awfully selective about how you try to prove a point.

(And I quote)

In diplomatic and other public circles, "Sir" is generally considered an acceptable alternative to the formal address in both written and spoken greetings; this does not apply to religious or titled persons. The use of "Madam" or "Ma'am" for a female addressee is less customary but still acceptable, especially for high officeholders ("Madam Governor"). This rule also holds for high officials of foreign countries.

How's this for etiquette? Kiss my arse.
The protocol in the military is to address all female superior officers as "ma'am", and all male superior officers as "sir". "Ma'am" and "sir" are considered equivalent. Granted, a Senator is neither "superior" or an "officer", but they do pay the General's salary, so he is going to call them whatever they want to be called.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The protocol in the military is to address all female superior officers as "ma'am", and all male superior officers as "sir". "Ma'am" and "sir" are considered equivalent. Granted, a Senator is neither "superior" or an "officer", but they do pay the General's salary, so he is going to call them whatever they want to be called.
wrong. WE pay the general's wage.

Barbara Boxer is one of the most obnoxious people on the planet, and she just demonstrated that fact.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 AM

134 posts, read 151,255 times
The General used proper protocol. In the military you address your superiors as Ma'am or Sir and the people below you with their rank. Therefore the General was respectful in his address.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
wrong. WE pay the general's wage.

Barbara Boxer is one of the most obnoxious people on the planet, and she just demonstrated that fact.
The money used to pay the General's salary comes from us taxpayers, but it is Congress that determines the General's salary. If Congress decided Generals get a salary of $0.00, then no taxpayer dollars would be going to their salary.

You are correct, Boxer is indeed one of the more obnoxious people on the planet, and she routinely demonstrates that fact. Feinstein and Boxer are representative of those who elected them. Which explains why Californians are so reviled by everyone in all the other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies