Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:05 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,994 times

Advertisements

What has this Narcissistic, do nothing, twit ,ever done to help California or the nation? She and Pelosi should be sent to Iran as special envoys. If I were the general I would send her a greased flag pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
What has this Narcissistic, do nothing, twit ,ever done to help California or the nation? She and Pelosi should be sent to Iran as special envoys. If I were the general I would send her a greased flag pole.
Her title is Senator and you will damn well address her correctly when in a Senate hearing. If you can't get that through your neo-con brain then you will damn well be asked to leave the hearing.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Lightbulb Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Her title is Senator and you will damn well address her correctly when in a Senate hearing. If you can't get that through your neo-con brain then you will damn well be asked to leave the hearing.
The protocol office (in the Senate building) briefed the General that Ma'am is appropriate in addressing Senators. She could have at least waited vs. interupting the General mid-sentence. Everyone seems to be forgetting that she said 'I've worked SO hard to earn the title". Really>? SO hard vs. just 'hard'? Her original anointment to the Senator job came as a result of an extremely close election back in '92.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh ya , shoulda known the "man hater" thing would squirm out from under a rock at the mere suggestion of sexual equality.
Yupppers, all those women who want respect, the vote, equal pay...they ALL just hate men and that's why they want those things ...it all revolves around men...agree with them and their "rules" or you're a man hater

Oh, ya and because it was directed at the Holy Military if you don't agree you don't support the troops.....LOL! ...all the old bumper sticker "this oughtta keep 'em in their place" BS....

Ya, men aren't that petty...just the ones who want to be addressed as "Father", "Reverend", "Sir", "Doctor", "Mr. President", "Your Honor"

And NONE would be so petty as to tell a
Senator on the Senate floor, in front of his wife, at a public event , to "F--- Off"....but DICK Cheney did.

NOTHING petty about that
You have tried to insist that is a sexist issue when it's not.
And you DO sound as if you're a man hater. But it took 11 or 12 pages for it was said. So if you woulda known don't you think it would have been said long before now?
You have said it's "HER" territory when it's really the territory of the military as well or they would not be in Washington to begin with.
What separates the politicians from the military is politicians don't want to risk loosing votes and the service members will risk loosing their lives.
What ever is said or demanded between elected officials isn't the same as it is for members of the military. Apples and oranges.

You choose to be anti-military well, you're not the first or the last. Just another in a long line complainers about living in a free country.

BTW You need to stop watching GI Jane. It was just a movie besides, a woman becoming a S.E.A.L. ...Not likely.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
This wasn't a military setting and Boxer was under NO obligation to make it one.

This was HER territory no matter how much anyone may hate the word "her".

Your only concern is that it WAS a "her" ....if it had been a "his" you wouldn't have heard a word about it!

AND, the military has a history of sexual harrassment, sexual bias, and RAPE of it's female soldiers so don't tell me about his level of respect for Boxer or any other woman!!!!

Irrelevant if it is a "military setting" or not. You ALWAYS address a lady as "ma'am", and a gentleman as "sir". No matter where you are.

So you want to lump ALL of us military personnel together, no matter if we committed no crimes? Speaking from personal experience, I NEVER encountered ANY sexual harassment, sexual bias, or rape when I was in, nor any when I was a Army wife.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,328 times
By calling her ma'am, the General was showing her the utmost respect. By intimating that being called ma'am was somehow demeaning, she has demeaned women everywhere.

What she did showed a complete lack of understanding regarding the military and women's issues. In other words, what she did showed her stupidity. What she did was stupid.

I'm quite sure the General didn't really care about what she said. I'm also quite sure that he thinks she's stupid. I don't think she has to apologize for something that is so stupid on its face. Even the women in this country who may have been offended must be saying to themselves, "What a stupid woman that Senator Boxer is".

- Reel

Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
By calling her ma'am, the General was showing her the utmost respect. By intimating that being called ma'am was somehow demeaning, she has demeaned women everywhere.

What she did showed a complete lack of understanding regarding the military and women's issues. In other words, what she did showed her stupidity. What she did was stupid.

I'm quite sure the General didn't really care about what she said. I'm also quite sure that he thinks she's stupid. I don't think she has to apologize for something that is so stupid on its face. Even the women in this country who may have been offended must be saying to themselves, "What a stupid woman that Senator Boxer is".

- Reel
Exactly. My hubby was a commissioned officer and we saw the clip of Boxer berating the General . . . and he immediately turned to me and said "He was absolutely correct - he was following protocol. Boxer is a self important twit."

Not only that, I am a Southerner, and I was raised that it is a matter of respect to say "Yes, Sir" and "Yes, Ma'am."

In the end, however, I always have thought Boxer is "all about me" and not the issues. Why her constituency re-elects her is beyond me. Her attitude is unproductive.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:03 AM

24 posts, read 26,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The protocol office (in the Senate building) briefed the General that Ma'am is appropriate in addressing Senators. She could have at least waited vs. interupting the General mid-sentence. Everyone seems to be forgetting that she said 'I've worked SO hard to earn the title". Really>? SO hard vs. just 'hard'? Her original anointment to the Senator job came as a result of an extremely close election back in '92.
Link to the protocol office or some official website that can confirm this?

I doubt that this will happen because the protocol is clear the proper form of address for the senator is "Senator Boxer." Neither a protocol office nor a commissioned officer in the military would make such a mistake.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
You have tried to insist that is a sexist issue when it's not.
And you DO sound as if you're a man hater. But it took 11 or 12 pages for it was said. So if you woulda known don't you think it would have been said long before now?
You have said it's "HER" territory when it's really the territory of the military as well or they would not be in Washington to begin with.""

WTF? The military controls the U.S.?? Ya, I knew it would come to military rule ....

"""What separates the politicians from the military is politicians don't want to risk loosing votes and the service members will risk loosing their lives."""

And THAT has nothing to do with the topic.

"""What ever is said or demanded between elected officials isn't the same as it is for members of the military. Apples and oranges.

You choose to be anti-military well,"""

Translated to truth: The Military rules and if you criticize it you are a naughty bad person and should be in Gitmo...it's called Freedom, MILITARY freedom...

"""you're not the first or the last. Just another in a long line complainers about living in a free country.

BTW You need to stop watching GI Jane. It was just a movie besides, a woman becoming a S.E.A.L. ...Not likely.""

And THAT is relevent how??????? It isn't , it's just more woman hating.

Yup, any woman who has the audacity to defend another woman is a man hater which makes you a woman hater...so I guess we're even. BTW, it was sexism from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Irrelevant if it is a "military setting" or not. You ALWAYS address a lady as "ma'am", and a gentleman as "sir". No matter where you are.""

Nope.

"""So you want to lump ALL of us military personnel together, no matter if we committed no crimes? Speaking from personal experience, I NEVER encountered ANY sexual harassment, sexual bias, or rape when I was in, nor any when I was a Army wife."""

Oh, so YOU were never raped or discriminated against so NOBODY was...ya, right I'm sure the victims will be interested in YOUR perspective.
Quote:

What she did showed a complete lack of understanding regarding the military and women's issues.""""

It wasn't a military issue or a woman's issue, it was addressing a Senator as Senator issue.

""In other words, what she did showed her stupidity. What she did was stupid.

- Reel
My goodness, another seer, a mind reader, ...how convenient!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 AM

24 posts, read 26,489 times
Quote:

- Reel
It wasn't a lack of respect, it was a failure to follow protocol. This was a formal senate hearing not lunch at the deli. Both he and she should use the proper forms of address on those occasions. It's surprising that a senior military officer made such a faux pas. Secretary Gates probably took him to the woodshed big time after the hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies