Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Well, your article was a little more informative than the one from World Nuts Daily, but I'm still not sure I agree with the decision. Hasn't the right to wander around airports with religious tracts been upheld by the courts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 01:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think there is more to this story. This would be a constitutional problem if the facts are consistant.
Which of course judging by the OP's track record or their source I think there is much to the story that goes unreported especially sine they can't even getting the spelling of the Judge's name right. It is Edmunds not Edmonds.

I'm in the process of tracking down the decision. Stay tuned.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:12 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which of course judging by the OP's track record or their source I think there is much to the story that goes unreported especially sine they can't even getting the spelling of the Judge's name right. It is Edmunds not Edmonds.

The best written article I've found is Judge: Christian group can't walk with literature at Arab festival in Michigan - San Jose Mercury News.

City officials say anyone is free to have conversations — but not leaflet — on sidewalks within the festival's barricades.

"It appears to be a legitimate governmental interest for crowd control and safety," Edmunds said in denying the request. "The festival area is more akin to a fair than a normal city street."

Old 06-20-2009, 01:17 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Interesting.
A judge recently ruled a Christian group could hand out leaflets and whatnot at a gay parade...I don't see the difference here.
I think they should be allowed to pass out the pamphlets and the people they are handing them out to have every right to ignore them, tear up the paper, recycle the paper as soon as they get it...whatever.
Let's just hope these Christians are open to people of different viewpoints coming in to their church on Sunday morning to hand them some information.
While I do hope these Christians are open to other people's beliefs and feelings, they do not have the right to come into a Christian church to hand out literature just as Christians don't have the right to walk into a mosque and do the same. The discussion involved public sidewalks, not private property. And in the US, churches are private property. The Muslims are welcome however, to hand out pamplets on the sidewalk in front of the church if they wish. Otherwise, just like with any private establishment, they can be asked to leave the property. I would hope however, that any real Christian church who encountered peaceful Muslim believers in their church would treat them respectfully. It is supposed to be a church after all, and any good Christian would treat a Muslim believer as his brother/sister just as he would a Christian brother/sister. God is love after all, not bias and hatred.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:10 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Dearborn is 30% Arabic, not 30% Muslim. Muslim's are about 12%.

I go to the festivle for the food and music, and I find it funny that nobody there is pushing the muslim faith on you, but christian's decide that this is the place to shovle their dribble at you.

There are plenty of other corners to enjoy your free speech. Not the time, and not the place. (I'd say the same about any religious or political group at the event)

WOW!!! At least you're at one with your fascist beliefs.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I wish these evangelical Christians would somehow come to respect other spiritual paths as much as they want people to respect their own. They push to hard to destroy other cultures, and then cry victim when people push back.

I realize it's all rooted in the misguided belief that they are 100% right and everybody else is wrong, but I wonder how open they would be to Muslims proselytizing at their events. whose extreme wings also believe they are 100% right and everybody else is wrong.

Education system is failing.
How is the culture being destroyed? This is an Arabic Christian group; same culture, different religion. Big, big, difference.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

You get back to us Mr. Murrow; we're waiting with baited breath.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:24 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
You get back to us Mr. Murrow; we're waiting with baited breath.

It's WND is claiming that they are more then just a half baked blog:

"WorldNetDaily.com Inc. is an independent news company dedicated to uncompromising journalism, seeking truth and justice and revitalizing the role of the free press as a guardian of liberty......."

Old 06-20-2009, 02:50 PM

925 posts, read 2,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Dearborn is 30% Arabic, not 30% Muslim. Muslim's are about 12%.

I go to the festivle for the food and music, and I find it funny that nobody there is pushing the muslim faith on you, but christian's decide that this is the place to shovle their dribble at you.

There are plenty of other corners to enjoy your free speech. Not the time, and not the place. (I'd say the same about any religious or political group at the event)
Dribble? How tolerant of you. I'd imagine that you'd label yourself a fairly "Liberally-minded" individual. Am I correct?

People have a right to hand out information exercising their first amendment rights. I'm surprised that you'd be in favor of suppressing this right.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:50 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
While I do hope these Christians are open to other people's beliefs and feelings, they do not have the right to come into a Christian church to hand out literature just as Christians don't have the right to walk into a mosque and do the same. The discussion involved public sidewalks, not private property. And in the US, churches are private property. The Muslims are welcome however, to hand out pamplets on the sidewalk in front of the church if they wish. Otherwise, just like with any private establishment, they can be asked to leave the property. I would hope however, that any real Christian church who encountered peaceful Muslim believers in their church would treat them respectfully. It is supposed to be a church after all, and any good Christian would treat a Muslim believer as his brother/sister just as he would a Christian brother/sister. God is love after all, not bias and hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies