Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
A federal judge has upheld a decision by festival organizers in Dearborn, Mich., which is about 30 percent Muslim, to ban a Christian ministry from handing out religious information on public sidewalks.

The case is being brought on behalf of the Arabic Christian Perspective, a Christian group that ministers to Muslims. According to the Thomas More Law Center, Pastor George Saieg and scores of his volunteers have visited Dearborn for the city's Arab International Festival to hand out religious information several times.

"It's ironic that while Americans are applauding the free speech exercised by hundreds of thousands of Muslims on the streets of Iran, the city of Dearborn is restricting free speech rights Christians are attempting to exercise on the city's public sidewalks," said Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center.

City corrals Christians at weekend Arab fest
This is great... lessens the chance of conflict while preserving their rights to preach. They can do it but just not on the grounds of the festival... anyway, they may well win the case... this rulied just denied their preliminary injunction since there is no chance of irreparable harm. They get their full bite at the apple in court. I personally think that this type of stuff is needlessly disruptive... like Jews for Jesus handing out pamphlets at Jewish events... just live your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,259 times
I think its worth mentioning that 3/4 of Arab Americans are Christians, mostly Lebanese and the descendents of those who came in the 1880s and 1890s and early 1900s, many are fully assimilated "white" Americans. Tony Shalhoub aka Monk, John Sununu, Ralph Nader, Tiffany, Doug Flutie, Jamie Farr from M*A*S*H, Vince Vaughn (1/4), and numerous others are all Lebanese Americans.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I would not mind at all if they wanted to try and prove I'm 'wrong'. In fact, it's happened quite a few times and I have helped in the 'deconversion' of two people that I know of. I am perfectly pleasant talking to believers and most of them are very nice people.

I've been a non-believer/Atheist for my entire life and I have yet to hear a conclusive argument that has even wavered my stance, but I'm more than open to discuss it

I do not need the 'gospel' as I have read it numerous times, in 4 different languages. I have also read the Qu'ran, had help reading the Torah from a Jewish friend and have studied the Vedas for many years. You sound very condescending when you say I, or any other non-believers, 'need' the gospel.

My intent wasn't to belittle anyone. I'm a sort of conspiracy theorist when it come to the Bible in the sense that I examine what I read from different angles to see if questions someone may have could be plausible. After all, the Bible is either true and the most important record of God's interaction with man, or it is the greatest scam ever. For example, If Paul (Saul) were not a true convert, what might he be? The Romans could have invented or high jacked a religion that promised eternal life to help control rebellious slaves and uncooperative subjugated lands using Paul's testimony to spread this useful psychological tool. Another angle is that Judaism developed from other religions and only became significant once the Hebrews conquered Canaan thereby becoming the ones who get to rewrite history from their own perspective. If you hang out on the Atheist and Agnostic forums you'll hear all sorts of ideas like those. I also work the other side of the arguments looking for evidence that verifies the scriptures. I have found literal fulfillment of prophesies that don't readily lend themselves to conspiracy theories that are credible. The rebirth of the modern state of Israel following the Holocaust is such a fulfillment of prophesy. While admittedly far fetched, playing Devil's advocate, one could argue that Brittan scheduled her departure from Palestine so as to create the circumstances for the accurate fulfillment of Ezekiel 4:4-6 since arguments that the scriptures were altered are of no effect because the KJV was in print in 1611 and has remained unchanged to this day. But many other necessary circumstances would also have to be created for this purpose including the timely end of WWII complete with Jewish Holocaust to fulfill the stipulation that this was a time in which the Jews were scatted and punished. Another condition of this prophesies fulfillment is the continued existence of a people some nearly nineteen-hundred years without a significant presence in their own land. Obviously this is a huge subject with a great deal of disagreement about historic events and their timing so I'll limit my question to this, Given that Israel declared herself an independent state on May 14, 1948, how do you discount this event in light of the timetable set out for it in Ezekiel 4:4-6? Keep in mind that those who translated the KJV could only have wrongly interpreted the Scriptures to coincide with its fulfillment if they were able to see 337 years into the future.

THE 70 WEEKS OF DANIEL

Mathematical Bible Prophecy

I look forward to reading your answer.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 AM

105 posts, read 127,968 times
Lets not be overly sensitive,

The federal court decision was wise and fair.
If the court allowed "Christian religious information" to be handed in the area of the festival, then this might end in the festival being overun by Christians actively trying to convert muslims.
The muslim minority wanted to celebrate, and thats their given right. It would be more tolerant if the non muslim community simply joins the festival, and not try to assmiliate this minority.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc14 View Post
Lets not be overly sensitive,

The federal court decision was wise and fair.
If the court allowed "Christian religious information" to be handed in the area of the festival, then this might end in the festival being overun by Christians actively trying to convert muslims.
The muslim minority wanted to celebrate, and thats their given right. It would be more tolerant if the non muslim community simply joins the festival, and not try to assmiliate this minority.

Sorry, I missed that part of the Constitution that protects the free exersize of festivals.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 PM

105 posts, read 127,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Sorry, I missed that part of the Constitution that protects the free exersize of festivals.
look, its just that the sidewalk were considered part of the festival grounds.

im sure it was rented, or leased or they got a permission to use that land...
if the land was given away to build a church, would we be happy if a muslim missionary resides there and obstructs the sunday prayers?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
A federal judge has upheld a decision by festival organizers in Dearborn, Mich., which is about 30 percent Muslim, to ban a Christian ministry from handing out religious information on public sidewalks.

The case is being brought on behalf of the Arabic Christian Perspective, a Christian group that ministers to Muslims. According to the Thomas More Law Center, Pastor George Saieg and scores of his volunteers have visited Dearborn for the city's Arab International Festival to hand out religious information several times.

"It's ironic that while Americans are applauding the free speech exercised by hundreds of thousands of Muslims on the streets of Iran, the city of Dearborn is restricting free speech rights Christians are attempting to exercise on the city's public sidewalks," said Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center.

City corrals Christians at weekend Arab fest
Well the obvious response to this is for the Christians to ignore the Judge's order and go ahead with their leaflet distribution plans. The First Amendment is a natural right and as such is beyond any judge's or legislature's jurisdiction.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,070 times
zgack that is what I was thinking. If you want to applaud the Iranians on one hand for standing up to their govt why would the Christians be so afraid to stand up to ours? I don't think it is "Evangelize only if you think it is safe". If you actually are concerned about the souls of the festival goers, you will not be deterred, but if you are trying to create a publicity stunt, you will whine in the news.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
zgack that is what I was thinking. If you want to applaud the Iranians on one hand for standing up to their govt why would the Christians be so afraid to stand up to ours? I don't think it is "Evangelize only if you think it is safe". If you actually are concerned about the souls of the festival goers, you will not be deterred, but if you are trying to create a publicity stunt, you will whine in the news.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies