Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

The vendors and the bands leave their equipment there all night? Do they sleep on the street or what? Isn't that an open invitation to steal?

What about an emergency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
This is fascinating to me.
Do you honestly think if I, as an Atheist, walked into a Christian festival with pamphlets about evolution and with copies of The God Delusion to pass out that I would be allowed to do so??? I would have the police called on me so quick I wouldn't even know what happened. Even if I was polite and considerate and smiley to everyone I would be kicked out very quickly.

Ya know... there is a Christian group that throws a little festival in the summer near where I live and I may just have to do that.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is fascinating to me.
Do you honestly think if I, as an Atheist, walked into a Christian festival with pamphlets about evolution and with copies of The God Delusion to pass out that I would be allowed to do so??? I would have the police called on me so quick I wouldn't even know what happened. Even if I was polite and considerate and smiley to everyone I would be kicked out very quickly.

Ya know... there is a Christian group that throws a little festival in the summer near where I live and I may just have to do that.
Have you ever been to a festival like that? Everyone and their brother is passing out pamphlets, advertising and the like. If the Christian group you know is using public property, you have every right to go and pass out pamphlets on evolution or whatever you want. You cannot, however, go onto their property uninvited.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They've got the rest of the city, and they rest of the state, to enjoy their free speech. Nobody is suppressing them. Go one block down, and hand out your bs.

Separate but equal?

Should they be allowed in the front of the bus?

Liberals are so predictable.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:23 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
I think a Federal judge has overstepped his legal bounds...

Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They've got the rest of the city, and they rest of the state, to enjoy their free speech. Nobody is suppressing them. Go one block down, and hand out your bs.

"Go one block down, and hand out your bs."

And next year they can move down two blocks, and they can keep moving until????????????

Be careful of what you want....You may be asked to move down one block next!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"free speech" has been redefined so often it can mean anything and everything these days. I would gladly give up a bit of "my rights" to prevent this kind of confrontation. Besides, it's a big fat waste of time that only makes people irritable. And we don't need any more irritable people.
"I would gladly give up a bit of "my rights""

The problem there is you give a "bit" and then they will start to take a lot..

Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
A federal judge has upheld a decision by festival organizers in Dearborn, Mich., which is about 30 percent Muslim, to ban a Christian ministry from handing out religious information on public sidewalks.

The case is being brought on behalf of the Arabic Christian Perspective, a Christian group that ministers to Muslims. According to the Thomas More Law Center, Pastor George Saieg and scores of his volunteers have visited Dearborn for the city's Arab International Festival to hand out religious information several times.

"It's ironic that while Americans are applauding the free speech exercised by hundreds of thousands of Muslims on the streets of Iran, the city of Dearborn is restricting free speech rights Christians are attempting to exercise on the city's public sidewalks," said Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center.

City corrals Christians at weekend Arab fest

Dearborn MI has over time become two separate cities, though not officially just yet. West Dearborn is still predominately WASPs and a sprinkling of others. East Dearborn is highly Arab-American and densely populated due to older large houses that have been converted to flats with really nice new brick homes going into every lot that comes available. Between the two sides of the city are a freeway, a major mall, numerous strip malls, two colleges, museums, theaters and Ford World Headquarters. On the East side, the culture has completely changed in a single generation, and as it is true in the rest of America, the Arab culture is accommodated to an extreme degree. Oakwood Hospital is the major health provider in the area and ground zero for the culture and religious clash that is at the heart of this current conflict. Since the hospital came into being, the staff would each year put up holiday decorations in the weeks before Christmas. That was stopped a few years ago so as to not offend the Muslims. The same hospital decorates for Ramadan to this day. Islam is accommodated, but Christianity is not. What Muslims do elsewhere in the world, they do here as well.

I'm not familiar with the organization that is being prohibited from exercising their First Amendment free exercise of religion and free speech rights, but I definitely see why they would want to evangelize there. It's funny how people who most benefit from our tolerance are the first to deny that same tolerance to others.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The first article is about psychiatry and recognizing depression in Muslims in Michigan. I'm not sure what it has to do with Christianity.

That second article talks about efforts to "convert" Muslims.

"It has opened my eyes that there are other beliefs out there," said "Sara" (14) who attends Bethel Christian Fellowship in Virginia Beach. "I have more of a burden for the Muslim people and for every person I come in contact with that doesnít know Jesus."

That said, I don't agree with the judge. I think the ACLU would agree with the Christians in this case.

Can't say as I've ever heard of the ACLU ever agreeing with any Christian group. I guess it's possble.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post

Christians aren't open to different Xian view point. Just go read a few posts in the Christian Forum, they have their own little holy war. They preach the Old Testament to any one who will listen, they just don't feel the need to practice what they preach.

Difference being Christians are not prohibiting the free exercise of other's Xianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies