Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, that last sentence is completely necessary. That was my statement, not yours, and I do believe in a higher consciousness. You can call it God, the Creator, Nature, whatever you want. The core message of that last sentence is universal whether you believe in God or not. And it doesn't matter where the church is, intolerance runs across this entire nation. Not just in the south.
It may have been necessary to you but as an atheist..."god" or the "creator" doesn't mean dog crap to me.
True intolerance is everywhere but to me, there is more intolerance in the south for those who are not christian, heterosexual, or white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I really hate it when one group decided to "practice their legal right to free speech" in an area SOLELY because another group they disagree with is doing something there already. It turns everything into a battle. And as a citizen and member of the public I don't want MY PUBLIC PLACES to be battlegrounds. There is nothing respectful about it and it causes divisivness. I'll all for free speech but if it were up to be there would be exceptions, and this is one of them. To me it's almost like legal harassment and I'd put a stop to it to keep the peace.
Your opinion doesn't negate basic constitutional rights. Thankfully you are not in charge. What a warped view of democracy.

Your post in bold is even more ridiculous. You don't have a public place. The very nature of public means that YOU don't own it.

And you're not "all for free speech" if you believe in exceptions. Exceptions are at the beginning of a very long, slippery, and ultimately disastrous road.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Can't say as I've ever heard of the ACLU ever agreeing with any Christian group. I guess it's possble.
Sorry for your deafness.

Here is a link to a page with over thirty press releases of ACLU actions on behalf Christians exercising their religious freedoms.

The ACLU Fights for Christians

Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Typically I'm open to your input, but in this case the comments I made were specifically aimed at Jet Jockey in specific response to his or her previous remarks.
Ah beg yo pardin.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I really hate it when one group decided to "practice their legal right to free speech" in an area SOLELY because another group they disagree with is doing something there already.
It turns everything into a battle. And as a citizen and member of the public I don't want MY PUBLIC PLACES to be battlegrounds. There is nothing respectful about it and it causes divisivness.
I'll all for free speech but if it were up to be there would be exceptions, and this is one of them. To me it's almost like legal harassment and I'd put a stop to it to keep the peace.
Funny thing is they have been going to that event for 5 years!
Not a problem.
Funny how you are for FREE SPEECH as long as you agree with the topic! That is Hypocritical!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,208,386 times
It costs money to set up a booth, right? In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if very few city officials would allow groups to hand out or sell stuff at a festival without setting up a booth (and giving the city money). Don't like it? Don't get mad at me, that's just how government works.

Besides, I bet that when the festival is over, the group can proselytize on the streets as they please. If not, feel free to correct me.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
It costs money to set up a booth, right? In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if very few city officials would allow groups to hand out or sell stuff at a festival without setting up a booth (and giving the city money). Don't like it? Don't get mad at me, that's just how government works.

Besides, I bet that when the festival is over, the group can proselytize on the streets as they please. If not, feel free to correct me.
That struck me as interesting as well. If there's a street fair, cordoned off and dedicated to specific purpose, I hardly think it unfair to ask any group that wants to benefit from the people gathered there to also contribute - i.e., pay for your damn booth and participate on the same terms as everybody else.

It's beginning to sound a little bit like Christians insisting on an exception made for them. They may argue that it's their constitutional right to gatecrash and enjoy the benefits of other people's efforts, but my sympathy is certainly dampened. (That, and I hate people who proselytize uninvited. I'll come to your clubhouse if I'm interested.)

Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sorry for your deafness.

Here is a link to a page with over thirty press releases of ACLU actions on behalf Christians exercising their religious freedoms.

The ACLU Fights for Christians

Read through a number of them. Mostly I see cases in which Christianity is involved in some way, but may not necessarily be the central issue. For example,

"Please send a message to Gov. Schwarzenegger encouraging him to sign SB 1322 (Lowenthal, D-Long Beach), which would remove language from California law permitting discrimination against individuals associated with the Communist Party, and provide a religious exemption to the loyalty oath."

One could see this as an attempt to hijack a legitimate free exercise issue for the purpose of attacking laws designed to protect us from a group that by their own admission is dedicated to the violent overthrow of our Constitutional democratically elected form of government in favor of a single party Communist dictatorship.

The defense of a student handing out religious literature before class is admirable, but the ACLU seems to focus much more effort on removing all vestiges of religious pluralism from our society. For example,

"Two lawsuits, including one by the ACLU, unsuccessfully challenged the constitutionality of the land transfer. Now the ACLU is targeting the cross itself as being unconstitutional."

Mt. Soledad Veterans Memorial Cross is Constitutional : Stop The ACLU

I will give them credit where due, but I really don't see the ACLU putting the ACLJ out of business any time soon.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

I disagree with many of today's interpretations of the Constitution.

Disagree or dont understand?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
This particular drive-by is so overdone. Are you able to point to an instance when this has happened? Seems to me I heard a story about a pastor taking doughnuts to the protesters in front of his church one Sunday. Oh yeah, here it is.

Culture War’s New Bomb: The Doughnut - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

I guess I would have to ask you, Would you be willing to allow these same Christians to explain to you why you're wrong, provided they were at least as pleasant as you? The reason I ask is because I just can't imagine believers passing up an opportunity to speak with someone needing the Gospel. We just don't roll that way. If fact, my church has a coffee shop attached to it and I couldn't name one believer that wouldn't love to buy you a cup of joe and hear you out. I do it all the time on this forum, except for the coffee part.

I would not mind at all if they wanted to try and prove I'm 'wrong'. In fact, it's happened quite a few times and I have helped in the 'deconversion' of two people that I know of. I am perfectly pleasant talking to believers and most of them are very nice people.

I've been a non-believer/Atheist for my entire life and I have yet to hear a conclusive argument that has even wavered my stance, but I'm more than open to discuss it

I do not need the 'gospel' as I have read it numerous times, in 4 different lanuages. I have also read the Qu'ran, had help reading the Torah from a Jewish friend and have studied the Vedas for many years. You sound very condescending when you say I, or any other non-believers, 'need' the gospel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies