Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:06 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And the Uptighty-Righties who continually whine about the 'Hollywood elite' and their political agenda conveniently forget that's EXACTLY what Ronnie was. He was STILL an actor.
Oh snap, I do believe they conveniently forget that little tidbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 04:11 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Reagan was our Greatest Freedom Fighter since Teddy Roosevelt and General Douglas MacArthur. He truly was not self serving, as we see in today's president and had a most inspirational and wonderful vision for our nation!

"If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with."_____Reagan's comment about student anti (Vietnam) war demonstrations.

Somehow, I'm just NOT inspired by his Saddam like attitude

This remark was made about a month prior to the Kent State murders, perhaps he inspired the Ohio National Guard.

Last edited by burdell; 10-10-2009 at 04:25 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 06:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
My view from a very conservative Democrat ( blue dog ) who voted for McCain---

I didn't care for Reagan. ( I am in the minority)

I didn't care for Reagan's policies ( I am in the majority)

Polls after polls showed ( during his presidency) that people gave Reagan a high approval yet dis approved of his policies.

To me, that tells me that Reagan was a master at turning the American people against his cabinet due to his policies, but not connecting the policies back to the President.
(IMHO) ---his experience as an actor helped him pull off the disconnect between his policies and himself to the American people.

It also was during the Reagan administration that it was proposed having ketchup bottles available on school lunch tables would fulfill the vegetable requirement in school lunch meals.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Notice the quotes, it wasn't me that said it but a guy I met on the course yesterday. He's a lifelong R (he said and I believe him) who went into shock during the Republican primaries last year and is only now coming out of it. Claimed that he decided to investigate 3rd party candidates the day that McCain picke Palin for VP but ended up holding his nose and voting for McCain. But didn't donate a dollar or help at the local R offices.

Like me he's old enough to remember when Reagan came in and hates what the "Reagan legacy project" has been up to since its inception. I actually thought that all Rs were fans and supporters of it, but he claims he isn't. For those of you who don't know what it is it's basically a project dreamt up by (can't recall the guy's name) the d'bag that is always running around saying he wants to shrink government and then drown it in a bathtub, with help from the usual suspects; Frank Luntz, Daneesh D'sousa etc.

Their (supposed) goal is to get something, anything renamed to honor Reagan in every county and city in the country. Their real goal is to rewrite history and turn everyone's opinion to "Reagan was the greatest P who ever lived", by distorting his record. This one seems to be working much better because there's only a couple of thousand building, bridges, sewage plants and other stuff with Reagan's name, but there are millions of loyalists who listen every time Hannity and others spout the crap that "Reagan won the cold war, he created more jobs with his tax cuts, he shrank government, blah, blah blah.

It was great listening to a thinking Republican instead of reading the same old, same old coming from the righties on here. Great guy, bit of a sandbagger though, he won $5 off of me.

golfgod
Just like we need to get rid of the Kennedy and Obama worship...

Nita

Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
And the Uptighty-Righties who continually whine about the 'Hollywood elite' and their political agenda conveniently forget that's EXACTLY what Ronnie was. He was STILL an actor. Forget about those facts did ya?
Nothing uptight about posting the truth.

So, he was an actor? Harry Truman was a tailor. What is your point?

I will remind you that the political agenda of the Hollywood elite is much different today than it was when Reagan was acting in movies.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:52 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Nothing uptight about posting the truth.

So, he was an actor? Harry Truman was a tailor. What is your point?

I will remind you that the political agenda of the Hollywood elite is much different today than it was when Reagan was acting in movies.

My point, which I mistakenly believed would be obvious to a 12 year old, is the HYPOCRISY of the whining right who continually whine about Hollywood elite attempting to push their political agendas on the public while at the same time being prepared to deify one of the Hollywood elite pushing his own political agenda on the public.

Capisce?

Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
Reagan was a epic fail...the creator of todays mess.
Agree, but it's always easier to praise the dead. When have you ever gone to a funeral and hear a eulogy that says "He really sucked."

I don't like it when Obama quotes Reagan either. Reagan wanted to get rid of Medicare and many programs to help the middle class and the poor. Maybe he admires Reagan for his political skills, but his policies were never about helping the majority of Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
My view from a very conservative Democrat ( blue dog ) who voted for McCain---
In 2008? Even after he chose Palin as a running mate? I'm not very liberal, but that decision definitely made up my mind for me. BTW, I agree with the rest of your post and gave you a rep for it. Sometimes I think George Bush got away with a lot because he was so likable. After all, he was re-elected in 2004. Likability goes a long way. A lot of people don't like Hillary Clinton becomes she comes across as being arrogant & abrasive. If she had Palin's personality (not her brain) she probably would have won the primary and the election.
Quote:
"If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with."_____Reagan's comment about student anti (Vietnam) war demonstrations.

Somehow, I'm just NOT inspired by his Saddam like attitude

This remark was made about a month prior to the Kent State murders, perhaps he inspired the Ohio National Guard.
Thank you. Although we can't blame Reagan for the Kent State shootings in 1969 because of a speech he made in CA, it's the message such words of violence send. This is the kind of language people like Michelle Bachmann are using. She goes much further, however. "I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back." That's worse than telling people to slit their wrists to protest health care reform.

Last edited by justNancy; 10-10-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 04:01 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
My point, which I mistakenly believed would be obvious to a 12 year old, is the HYPOCRISY of the whining right who continually whine about Hollywood elite attempting to push their political agendas on the public while at the same time being prepared to deify one of the Hollywood elite pushing his own political agenda on the public.
Reagan was a B movie actor whose movies were mediocre at best.. That hardly put him in a position to be any kind of 'elite'. He learned most of his speaking skills as a GE spokesman, not from acting. Watch one of his movies if you do not believe me..

Why not go after Schwarzenegger, he is far from a second rate actor and he is a prominent Republican. As a matter of fact many actors are Republican.. The stereotype of the 'Hollywood elite' comes from left leaning influence from Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears types who only want more 'Liberal' policies so they do not get in trouble for doing whatever the hell they want.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 PM

805 posts, read 774,452 times
Quote:

Capisce?
You would think that even a 12 year old would understand that if you were once a hollywood actor or a tailor and then entered politics, that you are no longer an actor or tailor but a politician that used to be an actor or tailor.

Fliberal Hollywood actors that spout their politicail naivete are just donuts with opinions.

Deifying a street agitator who has been in office less than 9 months is ridiculous!

Barak Pinocchio Obama!
Mmmm... Mmmm... Mmmm!

Duhh?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The stereotype of the 'Hollywood elite' comes from left leaning influence from Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears types who only want more 'Liberal' policies so they do not get in trouble for doing whatever the hell they want.
Disagree. Before the 2 women you referenced were even born, Hollywood was known for its liberal views. Remember Joe McCarthy? He attacked actors with liberal views and called them Communists. About 300 were blacklisted and called un-American. This could have also been anti-Semitism, since the major production companies were run by Jews. Hollywood has a lot of Republicans, but it definitely is a liberal town. Oliver Stone, Ed Asner, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Steisand, Susan Sarandon... not one of these people I mentioned are young, wild women "doing whatever the hell they want."

Your statement implies that Democrats have lower moral standards than Republicans. Typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies